Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Oculus Rift

Accessory »

The Oculus Rift is a virtual reality headset for the PC released in March 2016.

How do you feel about Facebook acquiring Oculus?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll How do you feel about Facebook acquiring Oculus? (85 votes)

Positive. 7%
    Indifferent. 39%
    Negative. 54%

I'm of two minds on this. On the positive note Facebook gives the team over at Oculus a giant injection of cash. With those funds the product could be even better than it was already shaping up to being.

The negatives out way the positives for me. Facebook is not a gaming company. They are an advertisements and services company. This is a company that makes as many deals as possible to get people to log into websites using Facebook. This is a company that wants to know everything that you and your friends do to better sell ads. They want as many people as possible to use the platform to get more money for ads. Google does the same thing to be fair.

I can see why Facebook bought Oculus. The social implications can be neet. You can log into a virtual world, set up by Facebook, and can meet friends there. You can go to a virtual movie theater and watch movies with your friends and other dumb social implications that I don't want to think about. These things are not what got people excited about the Rift though. Most of the excitement came from what it can do for games. Not stupid Facebook games but games that demand more nuance than say Farmville. I'm guessing the guys at Oculus know this and they probably made that clear before excepting the money. We can only wait and see.

• 
    Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Totally indifferent. I am going down the rabbit hole with Morpheus.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Oculus Rift is dead to me. So glad I didn't back the Kickstarter.

What Facebook does to make money is exploitative even with the bullshit "terms and conditions" that people blindly agree to. The entire value of the company lies in the personal information that the users provide on it but they see absolutely no compensation. They get a "free" service. It's a sham.

Same with Google.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried, but if it can still walk the walk, I'll pick one up.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mercutio123

It's Facebook. If you're not wary of them out of principle you should be.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

It's an odd pairing, and I know some people have legitimate beef about Facebook. However, I think it's a bit too early to start proclaiming that Oculus is dead. If anything, the capital backing that Facebook can deliver is probably a pretty significant benefit.

Personally, I'm largely indifferent at this point. I've never been sold on the wide market appeal of Oculus Rift anyway.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss

Indifferent. As cool as the Occulus Rift sounds I tend to remain indifferent until a product is finalized and available for retail.

I'm also not totally convinced that the Rift would've ever gone to retail without some sort of buyout happening.

Jennifyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dead product. Don't care how much they do to improve it. I will never buy a product branded by Facebook. Company made all it's money exploiting people and harvesting personal information, selling it to whoever they wanted. I won't be a part of that. Occulus was suppose to bring fantasy worlds to life. Not serve me a better advertising experience.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

A big company owning Oculus is probably a good thing ultimately. Without the backing of a major corporation, other VR systems were always going to dominate the public perception of VR. Like Sony. A relatively small, independent company was going to be blown away by big budget competition.

It is weird that it's facebook, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise. They are saying all the right things. If they go on to do what they've promised, it can only be a good thing. That's a big "if", but I'm not going to criticise them when they haven't done anything wrong.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

I didn't have confidence in Oculus being a real consumer product. Someone with money picking it up can only progress the virtual reality realm.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By spraynardtatum

It's an odd pairing, and I know some people have legitimate beef about Facebook. However, I think it's a bit too early to start proclaiming that Oculus is dead.

I'm largely indifferent at this point.

Yeah, it's definitely too early to say it's dead as a product. Facebook will definitely give Oculus a ton of exposure to people that wouldn't have cared before.

It's dead to me though. Point blank. Not interested in it whatsoever anymore and that bums me out immensely.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BradBrains

concerned but hopeful.

a big company was always gonna own oculus. they were always gonna need money to push them to the next level. didnt think it would be facebook but always knew it would be a big corporation.

also there is a ton of companies doing the same thing right now so one of them is probably gonna get it right. its gonna be a little while before that so there is no need to get stressed yet. some people are reacting to things that haven't happened yet like its already dead.

ads and facebook integration arent on oculus yet. though if thats something that announce i wont be interested either.

its a company who is in it to make money that took over another company that was in it to make money. i think the perception of what oculus the company is is whats kinda disturbing about all this.

i do find it hilarious how some people are talking about suing oculus because of being "deceived" about the kickstarter

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I felt indifferent about the Oculus to begin with, but I understand the concern.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slashdance: eloquently put.

my thoughts exactly. its to early of a product for a reaction.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's the sort of thing that will inevitably have some sort of shitty drawbacks, it's just a question of when those negative consequences come into effect, but I don't think the sky is falling right now. The video game industry more than any other learned that you can't sink billions of dollars into something for years with no plan to make a profit, and there's no way Facebook isn't going to want to eventually take over the direction of the product. I don't really see how anyone could be actively excited about it unless they're just naive or trying to get on people's nerves on twitter. Or were an investor, I guess.

When the entirety of the positive scenario people are painting is "Well, maybe Facebook just won't do anything to interfere, ever" people are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see a whole lot of hypocrites on here.

Sacui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sacui

At first I was a little upset, but this may take the internet to a whole new, interactive level. Which you know, could be the future.

Plus, it's not like Sony and Microsoft aren't already sinking tons of cash Into their own VR kits. Everyone's fear is how badly this transaction hurts what we thought was the future of gaming, but in hindsight I don't think it will.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

what should i put if I feel negative but I don't care about the rift?

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If what Oculus says is true, this acquisition will give them much-needed financial backing so they can hire on more people and focus their efforts solely on improving their product. The Rift was probably never going to be successful at retail as a pure niche high-end gaming peripheral, so finding ways to make it desirable to the mainstream population (and market it appropriately) is probably necessary to achieve real success with it. In that sense, I can see what Facebook might bring to the table that Oculus wouldn't be able to on their own.

However, even if Facebook lets Oculus do their thing autonomously for a while, I have serious doubts that things will stay that way forever. As other people have said, Facebook has earned basically zero goodwill through their public behavior, so everyone has a right to be highly skeptical that their involvement won't somehow also negatively impact Oculus's gaming plans. Best case, we can hope that Facebook's meddling won't happen until after the Rift is out at retail, so people who want one for PC gaming can at least still get one more or less as it was originally envisioned.

Basically, actions speak louder than words, especially when it comes to Facebook. We'll see what happens, but for now I'd say I'm "hopeful but pessimistic."

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was never gonna buy it anyway, but I'm still kinda bummed about it.

Avatar image for singingmenstrual
    SingingMenstrual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In concept, it is a negative thing. But to me personally, I'm strongly against brain and eye damage, I was never gonna buy a Rift, so I'm indifferent.

I think I'm actually pleased because, selfish as it may be, I'm glad that VR gaming becoming a thing has just been hindered :$ Sorry!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I know this is unprecedented on the internet, but I choose hold on any opinion toward the matter until I see more developments in the future. I honesty have no idea how this will turn out. Regardless of any negative reservations the masses hold toward this acquisition, it's still a really promising piece of tech and I'm very excited to get one eventually.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I was not aware I should hate Facebook. All I thought I was supposed to do was post vaporwave tracks and make a potentially witty observation every five to six days. And delete people who tormented me in school who now apparently think we're friends. Strangers mean more to me than those people.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can see the benefit of this for oculus and I guess facebook thinks this is beneficial to them as well. I just don't see this as being a good thing for everyone else.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far, it looks like Facebook investors aren't too impressed. The question in my mind isn't, will Facebook ruin Oculus, is if they paid way too much for something that is as of yet, unestablished.

At the very least, the VR medium is now more relevant.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.