Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Oculus Rift

Accessory »

The Oculus Rift is a virtual reality headset for the PC released in March 2016.

Oculus' 'Guardian' to match Vive's Chaperone system with advent of touch controllers

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#1  Edited By extintor

Many of the details surrounding Oculus touch (including its release date) are still shrouded in mystery but this weeks Dev update for the 'Guardian' system definitely infers that Touch will expand Oculus play-area to a roomscale level.

That said, the word is that Oculus aren't actually going to tell the consumers anything about 'Guardian' until October - so we can at least infer from this that the release date for Touch won't be a surprise one this month!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Cool can't wait to use touch with some new games.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The response to this thread accurately describes the enthusiasm around VR.

ragnar_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By ragnar_mike

I just had the chance to try out the Vive this week and man...I kinda really want one now. That said, it's still prohibitively expensive for what's available and I think Oculus has a lot of ground to catch up to match the package Vive is offering, which is weird considering they were the name brand for such a long time.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah pretty much!

VR badly (maybe desperately) needs a Halo-level killer app to drive enthusiasm.

There's a growing danger that early-adopters are going to start creating negative feedback rather than evangelizing for the tech.

Oculus's staggered hardware release of the headset and touch controllers is doing it zero favors, for both developers and consumers.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VR definitely needs some new great games but in defense It's not even a year old and people are already saying it's dead same shit happens when new consoles come out there isn't any ground breaking games that come out.For me personally I got my Rift in June and I'm still using it almost everyday and it sill impresses me and what is awesome is I'm playing some of my old favorite games in VR using vorpx so far I have played Mirrors Edge, F.E.A.R., GTA5, GTA4, GTASA, Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite,Spec ops the line,Condemn Criminal origins. It's very cool to revisit these games in VR and it's been amazing just the little details in VR can cause a real sense of immersion I love VR it kinda of has spoiled me going back to normal gaming loses that awe factor that VR can only do.

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

In peoples' defense (and FYI I'm a huge proponent of the world-changing potential of this technology), but the average person SHOULDN'T be raring to jump in at this point... except maybe PSVR if it's well received & has good games at launch and you plan to get the Pro anyway (not required, but you really will need that extra performance for good VR that doesn't cause sickness or eye strain).

Oculus is better than Vive in comfortability and physical design, but Vive has the currently huge advantage of motion control and therefore, access to 3x as many decent games/apps. Plus they don't require 3 USB 3.0 ports with Intel USB root hub controllers, or one of the couple other supported manufacturers (which is a very short list). One thing they MIGHT have going for them, soon, is better motion controllers... because the Vive ones work decently well but they could be a lot better in the physical design and also possibly be smaller/lighter

It's just not there yet - Oculus is incomplete (no controllers, and mysteriously little info about them as we reach the end of their stated release time of 2016) and the software is STILL in beta (and performs like an alpha), and is filled with a number of very frustrating limitations and bugs (USB 3.0 support for most USB controllers on the market, etc). Vive isn't a treat yet either, and neither is Steam VR for either headset.

So, I'd suggest spending your extra money on PC hardware updates for now (the NVIDIA 10 series cards have a HUGE performance boost in VR due to some new specialized hardware processing), and then just waiting & saving your money for a Gen2 version of the VR headsets (or other new, viable, comparable competitors).

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WynnDuffy

@bojackhorseman said:

I think it is also because Oculus have become the #2 now and all the bad PR hasn't helped. Valve and HTC have leap frogged them.

Difficult to be excited about Oculus Touch when Valve/HTC have been doing that kind of thing for months.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My understanding is that in most territories, the Rift and it's touch controllers will cost just as much as the Vive, but it doesn't come with the additional cameras that the Vive uses for room scale. So what's the Rifts advantage here?

Somewhere along the way it really seems like they dropped the ball.

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like Palmer Lucky could use a chaperone right about now...

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Sounds like Palmer Lucky could use a chaperone right about now...

Got 'im.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Next week should be interesting at Oculus connect 3 event I wonder if Palmer will get booed off stage.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By extintor

That guy can absolutely have private opinions and spend his money however he wants to. That said, he could have done the same thing in the other political direction and it would have also been bad for Oculus. He's a figurehead and it would have been wisest for him to have maintained a greater distance between his business and his political leanings (and especially the uncivilized way in which he chose to express them).

I feel like the bottom line though is that if the Oculus was on rock solid business ground, developers probably wouldn't be making much of a fuss or protest here. The Oculus absolutely requires the touch controllers to be a hit; for the roomscale 'Guardian' system to function at parity with the Vive; and for game developers to remain onboard. Oculus is a long way from achieving market penetration, let alone dominance and, crucially, it does not have a halo-level killer app (luckily for Oculus, so far no VR platform does). Never mind price of entry questions, it cannot make the jump in the market to mainstream that it needs without such software.

But as Jeff Backalar pointed out on the Beastcast, Luckey is young and he's rich and who can say that they didn't do stupid things when they were younger , and understood less about the world? Having money amplifies the range and impact of that stupidity. I imagine he'll look back on these events with a massive sense of embarrassment and regret in 10 years time.

Luckey is a founder of Oculus though, and this situation understandably gives worried developers a moral 'out'. It has given them a negotiating position they didn't have before. From both moral and business perspectives, they are absolutely right to exploit the situation and apply pressure.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This a little off topic but have any of you guys tried playing any old games in VR? right now I'm playing Mass Effect 2 and it looks really amazing even though it's not in FPS it's still really immersive.

bluemorning104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The worst thing about Oculus Touch is that I can't imagine it being any less than $100, and at that point you might as well get a Vive.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The worst thing about Oculus Touch is that I can't imagine it being any less than $100, and at that point you might as well get a Vive.

Touch is expected to retail at £179 in the UK (that's north of $200).

The economics of it all excludes anyone without significantly deeper than average pockets.

PSVR has the best chance of mainstream success. To a degree, I think that all VR platforms need PSVR to succeed, build an economically viable user base, and encourage significant developer investment.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.