Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Oculus Rift

Accessory »

The Oculus Rift is a virtual reality headset for the PC released in March 2016.

Oculus not at E3 this year

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1d502761653
    deactivated-5d1d502761653

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Oculus VR will not have a booth at E3 this year.

After the talk about the development of VR during last weeks' Bombcast it seems the initial push for VR in gaming is slowing down noticeably.

Source

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Shiiiet, we need something big to swing this boat back in the right direction! No way it's already over. Seems like people were really digging that Resident Evil game which shows there's room for long form in VR.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Well, they have had a lot of bad press this past year. Unless they've got something really killer to show off, the distraction might not be worth it. A presentation could easily turn into questions about the ZeniMax suit and other things they'd rather avoid.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm guessing PSVR will have a big enough presentation at E3. Perhaps it has slowed down a bit, but I think it's far from over.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OurSin_360

Vr is too expensive to catch on, even psvr is the cost of a console and not even standalone. I dont know how many more sales oculus thinks they can get right now from gamers, its not like they even have a killer app.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm. I'm still expecting some Fallout 4 VR talk sometime this year, especially as an example of a 'big' game working with the tech. I don't know if that will be enough to rouse more interest though.

Also no idea if that game will launch on the Oculus store given the disputes, but at least this means they can avoid answering questions about its absence if not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I own a Oculus I really don't care if there not at E3 as long as games are made for it that's all that counts.

nuttyjawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still waiting for that killer app, I spend most of my time in Onward right now with VR. I was going to try wilsons heart but I saw some pretty crappy reviews on it.. anyone played it?

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@nuttyjawa said:

I'm still waiting for that killer app, I spend most of my time in Onward right now with VR. I was going to try wilsons heart but I saw some pretty crappy reviews on it.. anyone played it?

I agree with that. Waiting for that killer app thing.

I don't own my own VR headset and that's probably part of the overall issue. I still feel the cost barrier to entry is really high for what you get. I've experienced VR at a friend's place who has it and at PAX. The tech is there, its awesome no doubt. But there's not a "game" that feels like it really makes it worth it. Everything is still just smaller "experiences" and that just doesn't do it for me.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By Humanity

Shiiiet, we need something big to swing this boat back in the right direction! No way it's already over. Seems like people were really digging that Resident Evil game which shows there's room for long form in VR.

To be fair the boat was never really heading in any solid direction. There was the typical excitement for new hardware, lofty promises of what the "future" will hold, and then torrents of unrealized potential with the occasional diamond in the rough.

The investment VS payment argument is nowhere close to justifiable apart from people with a lot of extra capital burning a whole in their pocket. I think this was a pretty good second attempt but the hardware is still not there.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By lego_my_eggo

Everyone is getting rid of there E3 booths, so im not reading to much into it. I just don't see what benefit Oculus gets out of paying for a booth at E3, where as Microsoft or Sony still have somewhat of a reason.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

If you own a Rift go play Robo recall. It's life changing and I'll slap fight anyone who disagrees (jk, it's really good though)

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I was never hyped for VR and i will never be hyped for VR.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you own a Rift go play Robo recall. It's life changing and I'll slap fight anyone who disagrees (jk, it's really good though)

Robo Recall is great also superhot VR is awesome and google earth is cool.But playing old games in VR is the best thing right now for it if you can get them to work and don't suffer from motion sickness. I have had Oculus Rift for almost a year now and I beat these old games in VR others I didn't finish but either way it was a amazing experience going back to these titles in Virtual Reality.

Games I beat

Mirror's Edge 2008

F.E.A.R. and it's expansions.

Condemn Criminal Origins

Spec ops The line

Medal of Honor Allied Assault

Prey 2006

Games that I played in VR but didn't finish

GTA4

GTA5

Half life 2

Portal 2

Bioshock

Bioshock Infinite

Max Payne 3

GTA:SA

RE4

Doom 3 BFG edition

Crysis

VR may be lacking the killer app I agree on that totally but there is nothing like playing and exploring your old favorite games in VR.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Isn't E3 supposed to open up to the public this year? I know E3 is in a weird place in the larger gaming landscape, but seems to me like a bad time to pull out. I find it concerning, but not that concerning if I'm being honest.

I think the more important tell for the health of VR is how big of a presence it has during the Sony and Microsoft press conferences. Not that they're the be all end all when it comes to VR, but I still don't see Occulus or Vive having the potential reach of a Sony or Microsoft.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

VR is dead for now. Again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.