Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

OnLive

Concept »

OnLive was a cloud gaming service offering video game streaming through a user's computer, smartphone, or TV.

Games you buy at full retail price are deleted after 3 years.

dudewhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dudewhat

In before people say "Who plays games 3 years after they are released?" and miss the point that not only do you not own the games you buy at FULL RETAIL PRICE on Onlive but that they can be removed from the service after 3 years.

What is a PlayPass?

A PlayPass grants you access to play a game for a specified period of time. Membership is required to purchase and use a PlayPass. PlayPass options available:

• Full: Provides unlimited access to the selected game throughout its supported lifetime on the OnLive service. We expect to keep all games supported for as long as people continue to play them, but at a minimum, all current games will be supported for 3 years after their release on the OnLive Service.
    • 5-Day: Provides unlimited access to the selected game for five (5) days from purchase.
    • 3-Day: Provides unlimited access to the selected game for three (3) days from purchase.

In the highly unlikely situation that a game becomes permanently unavailable before the minimum term of your PlayPass, you will receive a prorated refund.

UPDATE: I have made a second thread about a second big problem with Onlive HERE.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Bwast

Dude, what?

dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By dantheman1515

That is why this is going to fail. Why would I want to pay full price to stream my games, when I can get a hard copy that has value even after I buy it?

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kishan6
    @dantheman1515 said:
    " That is why this is going to fail. Why would I want to pay full price to stream my games, when I can get a hard copy that has value even after I buy it? "
    that isnt THE reason this will fail 
    it is just one of the reasons lol
    Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
    deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't think I would buy any full games through OnLive anyway. 
    It could work well as a pc rental service though.

evildeadron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By evildeadron

im more and more convinced that Onlive is a scam, i think they are going to try and cash in quick on early adopters and people with no brains, then suddenly declare bankruptcy and laugh their asses off while sitting on some carribean beach with an offshore bank account full of money
    TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By TheKidNixon

The more and more I read about OnLive, the more I can't help but think that they're fucking up all good will the initial announcement this product had.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By TheHBK

Nobody gonna go for something that makes you pay for the service and pay for the game like you bought it but it aint actually yours. 

What was the name of that gaming service that had a bunch of old games that you could play on your pc?  Had stuff like Tomb Raider and Sonic the Hedgehog.
    dudewhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dudewhat
    UPDATE: I have made a second thread about a second big problem with Onlive HERE.
    mattymattmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By mattymattmatt

I still don't understand the business model of OnLive.  I just read an article on MSNBC, I believe that's the correct one, in which the writer was describing how games are becoming more cloud based, kinda like how Ubisoft is making their games requiring a constant internet connection, and how this is going to change the industry.  The writer even goes so far to say that OnLive will render consoles obselete and useless.

I disagree on so many levels with what the writer was saying, but I'm more disappointed in how OnLive is conducting its business.  They are on the verge of creating a powerful distribution platform for games that we have never seen before, but the whole system is going to be mired in trouble because of pricing issues.  It's too bad really.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Coombs

And OnLive fails.

I'll say it again
    OnLive will go the way of 

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By ch13696

I don't get what's wrong with companies making services like Steam. You pay for the game, it's yours forever. Or as long as the service is there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.