Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Outer Wilds

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 29, 2019

Explore a solar system on the brink of collapse in this Seumas McNally Grand Prize Winner.

Worth Restarting After Lost Data?

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I had never backed out of the game to start a new loop. I had always died in one way or another, on purpose or not. Well I was about 4-5 hours in after almost fully completing the Ember Twin, Attlerock, Hearth, and a good chunk of the Ash Twin, when I needed to quit out of the game to start a new loop.

I didn't realize that an "Expedition" was your whole saved game, not just the current loop, so I chose "Start New Expedition" and confirmed my selection.

I really don't want to go through all of that again (especially Ember Twin), just to fill in all of the stuff I had found already, since most of the game is about discovery, and this would be all of the annoyance of the sand rising and none of the discovery.

Is it easy enough / worth it to start a new game and just go to all of the other planets, and maybe go back to the Twins later? Or are the discoveries there important enough that I have to go through all of that again? Or should I just give up. I love the game and don't want to stop, but I really don't want to do Ember Twin all over again.

Avatar image for deactivated-610c321d60197
    deactivated-610c321d60197

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

..Yes? i assume you paid for this game so why not see it through and get your money's worth

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@emuleader: the discoveries serve as a map for you to use. They help in remembering some stuff and pursuing links. You could restart and not have that much trouble although the Twins are a key location for the main plot line.

Strathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

As long as you remember what you learned then it shouldn't make any difference at all. As far as I know you could finish the game from your first takeoff if you knew what to do.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

..Yes? i assume you paid for this game so why not see it through and get your money's worth

It was a dollar on game pass, so I have actually already gotten my money's worth.

@humanity@strathy

Thanks! This is exactly what I wanted to know. Now that I've had some time away from "the incident", I am feeling better about rushing straight to a couple of the big things I discovered just to have them on the logs. I look forward to getting back in, as this is such a cool game!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.