Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Outland

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 27, 2011

A 2D platformer with an emphasis on either light or dark forms to overcome obstacles and defeat enemies. The game bears a unique visual style and "Out of this World"-style platforming gameplay.

Outland first-hand first impressions

Clint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Edited By Clint

I saw played a reasonable amount of Outland at PAX Prime yesterday, and have perhaps a slightly better grasp of what's going on here than some of the articles floating around seem to. 
    In some respects, Outland wears its influences on its sleeve. The  polarity mechanic not only works like, but looks almost identical to the way it did in Ikaruga. As you platform through the game, there are often emitters that will fire bullets of varying color and geometric patterns, which you must match the color of to avoid injury. Unlike in Ikaruga, getting hit means losing health, not instant death
    There are, however, a lot of complications thrown your way over the basic formula. While avoiding bullets of the wrong color, you are also forced to fight various enemies, such as spiders. Most of the time, these enemies will have a polarity themselves, and rather than simply do half-damage if you are of like polarity to them, Outland takes it further and renders your attacks useless — you absolutely must be of the opposite polarity to do damage to these enemies. In addition, there are a lot of puzzle- or action-based mechanics in the world of Outland that are based on your polarity: moving platforms won't move, some stationary platforms will simply disappear, and ornate patterns of light won't illuminate unless you are of the correct alignment. 

Visually as well, there are influences there. I'm reminded strongly of Shadow of the Colossus in terms of environment and character design, while the trails of light are reminiscent of Tron, or perhaps even some of the more ornate patterns in Twilight Princess

I asked the developer who was demoing the game whether there would be co-op of some kind coming. He pulled a "haven't announced anything," which to me meant yes.

Clint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Clint

I saw played a reasonable amount of Outland at PAX Prime yesterday, and have perhaps a slightly better grasp of what's going on here than some of the articles floating around seem to. 
    In some respects, Outland wears its influences on its sleeve. The  polarity mechanic not only works like, but looks almost identical to the way it did in Ikaruga. As you platform through the game, there are often emitters that will fire bullets of varying color and geometric patterns, which you must match the color of to avoid injury. Unlike in Ikaruga, getting hit means losing health, not instant death
    There are, however, a lot of complications thrown your way over the basic formula. While avoiding bullets of the wrong color, you are also forced to fight various enemies, such as spiders. Most of the time, these enemies will have a polarity themselves, and rather than simply do half-damage if you are of like polarity to them, Outland takes it further and renders your attacks useless — you absolutely must be of the opposite polarity to do damage to these enemies. In addition, there are a lot of puzzle- or action-based mechanics in the world of Outland that are based on your polarity: moving platforms won't move, some stationary platforms will simply disappear, and ornate patterns of light won't illuminate unless you are of the correct alignment. 

Visually as well, there are influences there. I'm reminded strongly of Shadow of the Colossus in terms of environment and character design, while the trails of light are reminiscent of Tron, or perhaps even some of the more ornate patterns in Twilight Princess

I asked the developer who was demoing the game whether there would be co-op of some kind coming. He pulled a "haven't announced anything," which to me meant yes.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Yanngc33

I know you wrote this 7 months ago but dude this game is so good. A little slow to start but man is it awesome

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By project343
    @Yanngc33 said:
    " I know you wrote this 7 months ago but dude this game is so good. A little slow to start but man is it awesome "
    I second this comment. A hesitant trial download, very quickly followed by a confirmed purchase.

I cannot stress enough how flawlessly the visuals, animations, and controls are executed.
    Capt_Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Capt_Pudge

Its fantastic. It has such smooth animations and the whole metroidvania feel without tedium makes this game really stack up

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.