Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Parents

Concept »

Everyone that is born has parents. These games feature adults with children of their own.

Parents how do you protect your kids from your gaming equipment ?

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Masha2932

I read an article on Kotaku this morning on how the author had used a baby enclosure to prevent his young child from biting the wires and constantly ejecting and resetting his gaming system. http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/03/baby-proofing-tips-for-gamers/

The colour of the child's enclosure near the TV would distract me all day but I understand why the author did it plus I don't have kids so I had never considered the fact that all the wires and cables around my gaming setup could be harmful to a child.

So to all you gaming parents how do you protect your kids from your electronics/gaming equipment and similarly how do you protect your equipment from your kids?

Thanks.

EDIT:

Many of the Giant Bomb users might not have children so i'll expand the question further-

1. How do you protect your gaming systems from your pets?

2. As a kid did your parents do anything to keep you from the TV/VCRs of your youth?

Thanks to the guys who have answered so far.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

I don't have kids, but if I did, I would have all of my video games in an entertainment center with closed and locked doors.

Or just adopt one that's about six years old so that he's already all potty trained and stuff, get him a stool, and never have to do dishes again.

ckeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ckeats

Not a parent, but when I got my kitten way back I had a blanket over the bottom of the tv stan to keep him out. It worked well enough, I imagine a child would be worse than a cat.

I assume as well when you become a parent, brightly coloured objects everywhere become normal to you.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Toxeia

Lingering clouds of pepper spray.

I've never liked entertainment centers with exposed peripherals. A VCR (guess a roku or blu-ray player today) and a tv (19" CRT, amirite?) are fine, but everything else should be behind a cabinet of some sort. I have all of my game systems tucked into a cabinet and the wiring hidden. From when my brother used to have his kids here alot I've still got those child-proof hinges on them to prevent the boogers from getting into my super nintendo.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Arker101

I have young nieces and nephews, but I have locks on my media center cabinet, so all I do is shut and lock the cabinet doors, and the wires are all high enough and behind the center to where they can't reach. The picture solution is pretty clever, though.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MikkaQ

Why not just enclose the child in a room and enjoy your entertainment safely?

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

Height. I do all of my gaming in pretty much a home office anyway.

I think what this guy is doing is just going to entice the child even more. He may start to climb that cabinet to the left and end up getting one of those wine glasses to the skull.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Nux

I have a TV stand with a glass door. Not cats of mine are getting near my 360 and Wii

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

When they're toddler age and they don't understand being told not to go near something, they don't get free reign around the house.  You put them in a little playspace and occasionally throw a ball and grunt in their general direction.  So basically that guy has it backwards, you don't guard your stuff from him, you guard him from your stuff.

When they're older and can retain a lesson... it takes one time of ejecting the game while I'm playing it to learn not to do that again.  That's learning from experience, the best kind.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By ShadowConqueror

You mean how do they protect their gaming equipment from their kids.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.