Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

A RAM Question

Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Monopolized

My Computer had 1.5gb of RAM in the computer (Originally it had 1gb before I added a 512) Today I used a new 1GB stick and inserted it into the computer.
    When I did my computer either, would turn on with no display and both fans running or a loud beeping sound. I figure that that wasn't good so I took the 1gb stick out and put the 512 stick back in.
    Now when I turn on my computer it only shows that the 512GB is active in the computer.

I have no Idea what's going on and now I only have 1024MB of RAM.. and have successfully lost 512mb.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Mmmslash

That beeping you hear is your computer signaling to you that it doesn't detect any RAM. 

Do a shut down, pull all of the RAM out, and make sure their contacts are clean. Then reinsert the RAM, one stick at a time and door a boot. See what works and what does not, you might have a bum stick that is messing everything up.

Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Monopolized

I tried that.  and my results are that the 512 will not work with the 1gb in the machine each will work seperately.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Evilmetal

You had 1.5gb and then you inserted a new 1gb, for a grand total of 2.5gb ram? or you replaced the 1gb with another 1gb stick?

Moops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Moops

Maybe one of your RAM sockets are damaged.

I had a similar problem with an older mobo when I was snapping RAM modules back in. I grounded myself to prevent static discharge but I forgot to unplug the mobo from the PSU. Now one RAM module is 30%–60% its original size and one socket is dead.

If you have it under warranty bring it to a shop.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By korwin

Fish out your motherboard manual and figure out what the beeps indicated.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.