Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Building a PC, would love some help.

Avatar image for cattlemutilation
    CattleMutilation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CattleMutilation

This is my first time building a computer. I've been looking at and choosing parts for the last few days now, and I would love some help with it. Here's what I've got so far.

• CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
    • RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600
    • HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM
    • GPU: Asus Radeon HD 7870
    • PSU: Corsair HX750
    • Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
    • Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case

Originally I had an i7-3770, and an Asus Sabertooth Z77 on this list. I chose to forgo the i7 for a cheaper alternative, and I dropped the Z77 for something I'm still not sure on. The motherboard is a big concern for me, I've been adding and dropping different ones and haven't settled on any of them. I'm unsure of the one on the list currently because of some reviews I read on newegg and amazon listing weird incompatibility issues between windows 7 and the USB ports on the mobo.

Also, PCPartPicker lists a minor incompatibility between the motherboard I currently have on the list and the case. It says:

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports.

Does that matter? If I don't care about using the front panel USB connections, can't I just use the back panel USB ports on the motherboard itself? It's probably a stupid question, but like I said, I've never built a computer before, I really don't know much about this shit.

Anyway, any input on this topic, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Landmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That's a medium spec'd build, should be decent for gaming at 1080p. As for the USB 3.0, you can just use the ports on the motherboard and hook up the cases front panel USB to the 2.0 header on the board without any issue. I wouldn't use the intel supplied fan for the CPU, I would instead get an aftermarket cooler. The cooler master hyper evo 212 is an excellent and inexpensive aftermarket CPU cooler, around $25-$35. Make sure you read the manuals and maybe watch a few of the pc build videos tested.com has in their back catalog if this is your first time.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Personally would go with a 10,000 RPM HDD.

W1ck3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By W1ck3d

Get a small SSD for OS.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@w1ck3d said:

Get a small SSD for OS.

I second that, well worth the money.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fetchfox

@2headedninja: I third that? But seriously, I did the same. Running Windows 7 from a SSD is just so smooth.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By VACkillers

Looks very solid to me... not a huge Radeon fan but its plenty enough I think, as for your concerns about the motherboard, NO FEAR!!! Gigabyte is one of the best branded motherboards out there, extremely reliable with usually a good layout.... no worries for you......Only supports upto 1600Mhz for the RAM which is fine, thats the industry standard so nothing real to worry about there really, no real need to upgrade the ram to be faster then that, by the time the need is there for faster RAM, DDR4 will be out anyway which is still a long way off....SSD if you can afford it, the performance gain is just quite insane and they are SLOOOOOOOOOWLY dropping in price.... could do with a MUCH more price drop though :D

rm082e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rm082e

Might want to take a close look at the Tahiti edition of the 7870 if you're going the ATI route:

PowerColor PCS+ AX7870 2GBD5-2DHPPV3E Radeon HD 7870 MYST. Edition (Tahiti LE) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (UEFI Ready)

I would go with a cheaper Z77 board if this is just for gaming, and if you don't need the bells and whistles like Thunderbolt. Get closer to $100 - $120 on the motherboard and buy a 7950 or GTX 760 instead. A really pretty motherboard in a gaming PC is not going to give you more frames per second - a bigger video card will.

I just built a new machine with the ASRock Z77 Extreme 3 and the 3570K - works great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.