Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Can my recently purchased laptop handle modern video games ?

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I know everyone is busy so I'll make it short .
    I've recently bought a Dell Notebook with the specs bellow :

Model : Dell 1520
    CPU: Intel Duo 2.53 GHZ (Double cores )
    RAM: 4 GB
    VGA : GeForce 9300 M GS   

The reason I am asking this question is because I first installed S.T.A.L.K.E.R and ran the game on Maximum Quality pretty smoothly and then installed Cryostasis: The Sleep of Reason but unfortunately the game was running on an annoyingly low frame rate even with all the options turned off and lowest resolution . This immediately caused me to worry about the laptop 's capabilities  . 

EDIT:  Guess I'll stick with playing only adventure games with my laptop ---currently playing Secret of monkey island : Special edition  ;)  --- . Let the 360 and PS3 handle all those complicated process . After playing with these two consoles I can NOT bear frame-drop and bad looking textures whatsoever  . The heck with that , I just uninstalled Cryostatsis and STALKER and everything . 

NOW I KNOW WHY PC GAMING IS BECOMING LESS AND LESS POPULAR , I spent $1250 on that laptop for God sake .
    God bless Microsoft and Sony for their fantastic consoles

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By keyhunter

just play WOW and Starcraft and CS and you'll be okay.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    @keyhunter said:
    " just play WOW and Starcraft and CS and you'll be okay. "
    Is my laptop that terrible ?!!
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By keyhunter
    @daniel_beck_90: From my experience laptops always perform worse than the system specs would lead you to believe, and then they get super hot and melt your jeans to your penis.
    Anyways, any PC that can run a horribly optimized game like STALKER is pretty good. Especially for a lappy.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    @keyhunter said:
    " @daniel_beck_90: From my experience laptops always perform worse than the system specs would lead you to believe, and then they get super hot and melt your jeans to your penis.Anyways, any PC that can run a horribly optimized game like STALKER is pretty good. Especially for a lappy. "
    I see but unfortunately it can not run an even more horribly optimized game like Cryostasis: The Sleep of Reason .

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond

I wouldn't worry TOO much about Cryostasis running poorly, that game runs worse than Crysis...

Still your specs don't seem too great to me, but don't worry about the case of Cryostasis specifically.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By keyhunter
    @daniel_beck_90: Maybe you should go out and buy a new video ca...Oh wait, you have a laptop.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    @Diamond said:
    " I wouldn't worry TOO much about Cryostasis running poorly, that game runs worse than Crysis...Still your specs don't seem too great to me, but don't worry about the case of Cryostasis specifically. "
     Gotcha

@keyhunter
    said:
    " @daniel_beck_90: Maybe you should go out and buy a new video ca...Oh wait, you have a laptop. "
    Yeah , that is the problem  :(
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By keyhunter

You should sell your laptop and spend 400 dollars on a PC that can run CRYSIS on maximum settings. Not that Crysis is fun as a game, or really that great looking or anything.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    @keyhunter said:
    " You should sell your laptop and spend 400 dollars on a PC that can run CRYSIS on maximum settings. Not that Crysis is fun as a game, or really that great looking or anything. "
    I do not play too many PC games. Xbox 360 and PS3 always work better for me . That is why I am not willing to buy a desktop PC .
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By keyhunter
    @daniel_beck_90: There aren't any PC games to play anyways.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    @keyhunter said:
    " @daniel_beck_90: There aren't any PC games to play anyways. "
    Could not agree more .
    Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Gump
    Can You Run It?” from System Requirements Lab is a website that compares your PC specs against a large, constantly updated database of games and can tell you whether your computer is sufficient to run any game that you are interested in. Remember there are some games missing in the list.

Have you tried it yet?
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    @Gump said:
    "
    Can You Run It?” from System Requirements Lab is a website that compares your PC specs against a large, constantly updated database of games and can tell you whether your computer is sufficient to run any game that you are interested in. Remember there are some games missing in the list.

Have you tried it yet?
    "
    Thank you sir , that was an absolutely useful website .
    Based on the website I can easily run Crysis but there is no mention of Cryostatsis .
    Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gump
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    @Gump said:
    " @daniel_beck_90: Then you should try YouGamers.com -- there's Cryostasis. "
    Thank you kindly :)
    The weird thing is that the website claims my system can actually run the game but in action the game runs with difficulty . I am guessing it's the poor coding behind Cryostasis and the fact that it only utilizes one CPU core instead of two . What a shame ?!!!
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Linkyshinks
    System Requirements Lab - here you will be able to test your desktop/laptop's ability with a long list of games. You do need to take into consideration, it's very rare games are created with M variations of cards in mind.

edit: Thanks Gump.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " System Requirements Lab - here you will be able to test your desktop/laptop's ability with a long list of games. You do need to take into consideration, it's very rare games are created with M variations of cards in mind.edit: Thanks Gump. "
    Yeah Gump helped me with that .  Thanks anyway :)
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Your CPU and RAM are fine, but the graphics card is very average. If you're lucky it should run most modern-ish games on their lowest settings, but I'm not sure.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    @RiotBananas said:
    Your problem here is that it's a laptop, laptops aren't really designed for games unless they say so, the nVidia graphics card isn't bad, but like I said, laptops are built for portability first, not gaming. "

@MattyFTM said:
    " Your CPU and RAM are fine, but the graphics card is very average. If you're lucky it should run most modern-ish games on their lowest settings, but I'm not sure. "

Yeah ,You are both right .  Guess I'll stick with playing only adventure games with my laptop -currently playing Secret of monkey island : Special edition  ;)  - . Let the 360 and PS3 handle all those complicated process . After playing with these two consoles I can NOT bear frame-drop and bad looking textures whatsoever  . The heck with that , I just uninstalled Cryostatsis and STALKER and everything . 

NOW I KNOW WHY PC GAMING IS BECOMING LESS AND LESS POPULAR , I spent $1250 on that laptop for God sake .
    GOD BLESS MICROSOFT AND SONY FOR THEIR FANTASTIC CONSOLES .
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By JJOR64

You can run pretty much any game but, not at max settings.  I have a 8600 GT and it's fine for me.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    @JJOR64 said:
    " You can run pretty much any game but, not at max settings.  I have a 8600 GT and it's fine for me. "
    Yeah but as folks said , Laptop is a laptop . 

8600 GT is stronger than 9300 GS by the way .
    nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By nicolenomicon
    @daniel_beck_90 said:
    NOW I KNOW WHY PC GAMING IS BECOMING LESS AND LESS POPULAR
    Please learn to research before you make such claims. As for your laptop, it should be fine for most games. My crappy laptop can run TF2 so yours should be fine.
    xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xplodedd
    @keyhunter said:
    i guess Team Fortress 2, BF:Heroes, WoW, the new BF Game, and the new Assassins Creed game don't count.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    @SL33TBL1ND said:
    " @daniel_beck_90 said:
    Please learn to research before you make such claims. As for your laptop, it should be fine for most games. My crappy laptop can run TF2 so yours should be fine. "
    C,mon pal .  Console gaming is more popular than PC gaming . Just take a look at games and their respective sales charts and you'll know what I am talking about . Even Cry-engine who was meant to promote PC gaming is being redesigned for consoles .
    nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nicolenomicon
    @xplodedd said:

" @keyhunter said:

i guess Team Fortress 2, BF:Heroes, WoW, the new BF Game, and the new Assassins Creed game don't count. "
    Exactly what I said in my above post.

@daniel_beck_90 said:

" @SL33TBL1ND said:

" @daniel_beck_90 said:
    Please learn to research before you make such claims. As for your laptop, it should be fine for most games. My crappy laptop can run TF2 so yours should be fine. "
    C,mon pal .  Console gaming is more popular than PC gaming . Just take a look at games and their respective sales charts and you'll know what I am talking about . Even Cry-engine who was meant to promote PC gaming is being redesigned for consoles . "
      Not really, PC gaming grew last year. It's just that console gaming grew more due to its accessibility. PC gaming isn't shrinking due to things like steam.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    @xplodedd said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    i guess Team Fortress 2, BF:Heroes, WoW, the new BF Game, and the new Assassins Creed game don't count. "
    Dude I am no PC hater , and that is why I decided to get a laptop . But when you compare console gaming with PC gaming ,it's quite subtle that console gaming is cheaper , more convenient and ultimately of better quality .  And also the game library for consoles is far greater the one for PC .
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By JJOR64
    @daniel_beck_90 said:
    " @JJOR64 said:
    " You can run pretty much any game but, not at max settings.  I have a 8600 GT and it's fine for me. "
    Yeah but as folks said , Laptop is a laptop .   8600 GT is stronger than 9300 GS by the way . "
    It is?  lol  I should really look up that stuff.
    xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By xplodedd
    @daniel_beck_90 said:
    " @xplodedd said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    Dude I am no PC hater , and that is why I decided to get a laptop . But when you compare console gaming with PC gaming ,it's quite subtle that console gaming is cheaper , more convenient and ultimately of better quality .  And also the game library for consoles is far greater the one for PC . "
    i didn't quote you, i quoted the other guy, and your right... but to say that there arent any pc games to play, is a stretch... an assumption, and a lie too.
     its true, there are more games in the consoles, but Valve, develops their top games for pc -- just as an example... and your computer can run these games.
    nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By nicolenomicon
    @xplodedd said:
    " @daniel_beck_90 said:
    " @xplodedd said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    Dude I am no PC hater , and that is why I decided to get a laptop . But when you compare console gaming with PC gaming ,it's quite subtle that console gaming is cheaper , more convenient and ultimately of better quality .  And also the game library for consoles is far greater the one for PC . "
    i didn't quote you, i quoted the other guy, and your right... but to say that there arent any pc games to play, is a stretch... an assumption, and a lie too.  its true, there are more games in the consoles, but Valve, develops their top games for pc -- just as an example... and your computer can run these games. "
    A winnar is you!
    xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xplodedd
    @SL33TBL1ND said:
    " @xplodedd said:
    " @daniel_beck_90 said:
    " @xplodedd said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    i didn't quote you, i quoted the other guy, and your right... but to say that there arent any pc games to play, is a stretch... an assumption, and a lie too.  its true, there are more games in the consoles, but Valve, develops their top games for pc -- just as an example... and your computer can run these games. "
    A winnar is you! "
    huh?
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Akeldama
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By keyhunter

I know you people love to argue for the lack of anything better to do, but it really is easier to just go along with my over exaggerations. Yeah I realize that thousands of games are released every two days. And I also don't want to play any of them because they are not very good. PC gaming hit its peak in the late 90's-2004, and I can't honestly say that I've been interested in anything that isn't either a guild wars expansion or a Total war game. While on the other hand I have purchased over 120 or so XBOX 360 games since launch. There really hasn't been a significant PC release since Oblivion. I'm probably not the only one that doesn't want to spend the rest of his life playing Source engine games and World of Warcraft. And to answer your question, no none of those games count as they're either multiplatform or were released years ago. You're being rediculous.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35  Edited By Pazy
    @daniel_beck_90 said:
    " @SL33TBL1ND said:
    " @daniel_beck_90 said:
    C,mon pal .  Console gaming is more popular than PC gaming . Just take a look at games and their respective sales charts and you'll know what I am talking about . Even Cry-engine who was meant to promote PC gaming is being redesigned for consoles . "

While I would agree that most likely consoles sell more copies of a game than PC might the sales charts (such as NPD's) dont cover Digital Distribution which is a lot more populer on PC than it is on Console. In fact 99% of game released at retail for PC can be bought online as a digital download and often sell more online than at retail. Sales charts also dont cover subscriptions to MMO's where essentially each month you repay for your game

.@daniel_beck_90 said:

" @RiotBananas said:
    Your problem here is that it's a laptop, laptops aren't really designed for games unless they say so, the nVidia graphics card isn't bad, but like I said, laptops are built for portability first, not gaming. "

@MattyFTM said:
    " Your CPU and RAM are fine, but the graphics card is very average. If you're lucky it should run most modern-ish games on their lowest settings, but I'm not sure. "

Yeah ,You are both right .  Guess I'll stick with playing only adventure games with my laptop -currently playing Secret of monkey island : Special edition  ;)  - . Let the 360 and PS3 handle all those complicated process . After playing with these two consoles I can NOT bear frame-drop and bad looking textures whatsoever  . The heck with that , I just uninstalled Cryostatsis and STALKER and everything .   NOW I KNOW WHY PC GAMING IS BECOMING LESS AND LESS POPULAR , I spent $1250 on that laptop for God sake . GOD BLESS MICROSOFT AND SONY FOR THEIR FANTASTIC CONSOLES . "
    There is a saying someone posted on the forum (which I beleive they got from somewhere else) which is something like "Good. Gaming. Laptop. Choose Two". Which is completely true. Laptops are not made for gaming, there are too many concessions to portability and battery life made to allow games to run well or even follow the specifications written on the back of game boxes.

While not strictly true but maybe in terms of gaming people should stop thinking of Laptops like Portable Deskop PC's but as Consoles and Handhels. Consoles for your "serious gaming" and Handhelds to play lounging around the house or outside. It just so happens that they play same or similer games.

And as a side note, when most stores sell laptop's they throw buzzwords in your face or maybe how fast the processor is but they never tell you how powerful the graphics card is which is why they can put a cheaper graphics card in there which creates a bottleneck for games but a bigger profit margin and more sales.

And a second side note, I could never bless Microsoft for a console Ive had to replace 4 times in a year when ive never dropped it, it has good airflow and such. 

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pazy
    @keyhunter said:
    " I know you people love to argue for the lack of anything better to do, but it really is easier to just go along with my over exaggerations. Yeah I realize that thousands of games are released every two days. And I also don't want to play any of them because they are not very good. PC gaming hit its peak in the late 90's-2004, and I can't honestly say that I've been interested in anything that isn't either a guild wars expansion or a Total war game. While on the other hand I have purchased over 120 or so XBOX 360 games since launch. There really hasn't been a significant PC release since Oblivion. I'm probably not the only one that doesn't want to spend the rest of his life playing Source engine games and World of Warcraft. And to answer your question, no none of those games count as they're either multiplatform or were released years ago. You're being rediculous. "

Perhaps the reason is that PC gaming is a diffrent beast than Console gaming and your just more on the console side? Note that I dont mean that in a derogatory way. The big things in PC games such as MMO's have barely came to consoles, so far I know of Final Fantasy XI (released in 2002) and Everquest Online Adventures (2003) with some planned for the future. Also PC gaming is more focused on smaller, cheaper niche titles like Galactic Civilisations 2/Demigod/Sins of a Solar Empire (all from Stardock) or slow simulation games like East Indie Company or even Civilisation IV/Colonisation, RTS's titles like Company of Heroes or Indie/Mod type games like Killing Floor (as well as just a focus on modding). Its also a lot more open to indie games.

Console gaming is diffrent from PC gaming. Each has aspects of each other just a heavier focus on things so just because theres nohing new your interested in dosent mean all PC gamers arent interested in whats being released.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#37  Edited By TheJollyRajah

It doesn't matter Dan, the best PC games are the older ones. The past few years have been slow. My personal favorite PC games are the Civilization series, and they all run decently on my two and a half year-old laptop. Look into that if you like TBS games. There are loads of other great PC titles which may be five years old, but don't underestimate them because they're old and the graphics aren't up to date. 

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    @Akeldama said:

" @daniel_beck_90:   http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest "

Gotcha .

@xplodedd said:

I never said there are no games to play . Of course there are quite a few games to play on PC but due to the fact that PC games usually sell less than their console counterpart most games are also on consoles . Do not you forget that many great games are console exclusive and  never even see a PC release . Overall I mostly use PC to play adventure games .

@TheJollyRajah said:
    " It doesn't matter Dan, the best PC games are the older ones. The past few years have been slow. My personal favorite PC games are the Civilization series, and they all run decently on my two and a half year-old laptop. Look into that if you like TBS games. There are loads of other great PC titles which may be five years old, but don't underestimate them because they're old and the graphics aren't up to date.  "
     Thanks for the advise , and yes you are right the best PC games are the older ones . I also can never stay away from PC because I am an avid adventure (point and click) fan . 

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By daniel_beck_90

@Pazy said:

" @daniel_beck_90 said:

" @SL33TBL1ND said:
    " @daniel_beck_90 said:

While I would agree that most likely consoles sell more copies of a game than PC might the sales charts (such as NPD's) dont cover Digital Distribution which is a lot more populer on PC than it is on Console. In fact 99% of game released at retail for PC can be bought online as a digital download and often sell more online than at retail. Sales charts also dont cover subscriptions to MMO's where essentially each month you repay for your game"

I can not argue about that . servers such as steam are indeed popular among PC gamers and from time to time you can find great games with really good prices . Also you are right about the subscription fee of  MMO's that go uncovered . But despite all the aforementioned facts , console gaming is still much more profitable , MUCH MORE . 

@Pazy

said:

There is a saying someone posted on the forum (which I beleive they got from somewhere else) which is something like "Good. Gaming. Laptop. Choose Two". Which is completely true. Laptops are not made for gaming, there are too many concessions to portability and battery life made to allow games to run well or even follow the specifications written on the back of game boxes.

While not strictly true but maybe in terms of gaming people should stop thinking of Laptops like Portable Deskop PC's but as Consoles and Handhels. Consoles for your "serious gaming" and Handhelds to play lounging around the house or outside. It just so happens that they play same or similer games.

And as a side note, when most stores sell laptop's they throw buzzwords in your face or maybe how fast the processor is but they never tell you how powerful the graphics card is which is why they can put a cheaper graphics card in there which creates a bottleneck for games but a bigger profit margin and more sales.

And a second side note, I could never bless Microsoft for a console Ive had to replace 4 times in a year when ive never dropped it, it has good airflow and such. 

"

You are completely right about that . At first I was skeptical about the fact that my laptop's VGA is not on a par with the CPUs and RAM . I guess I'll choose laptop because I can only experience good gaming using X360&PS3 .  Although like I said , I keep playing adventure games with my laptop . 
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Pazy
    @daniel_beck_90 said:
    " I never said there are no games to play . Of course there are quite a few games to play on PC but due to the fact that PC games usually sell less than their console counterpart most games are also on consoles . Do not you forget that many great games are console exclusive and  never even see a PC release . Overall I mostly use PC to play adventure games . 

"

To that same note there are many great PC games that have never and will never get a Console release. Such as the upcoming MMO Aion (and a bunch of other MMO's), games like Cryostasis, Economic Strategy games like the new East India Company, the new (free) realistic shooter America's Army 3, the Real Time Tactics (ish) game Demigod (and other Dota clones) and Spore. There are many other PC exclusives (not all of them great) but there is a great many games that will never come to consoles. There are even some experiences which are unuiqe to PC gaming (how often do you see a game like Sins of a Solar Empire on a console or even something as populer as an MMO which I beleive have 2 consoles releases originally from 2002 and 2003).

Both PC gaming and Console gaming have great games to there name, be they Multiplatform or Exclusive. Neither platform is prohibitably hard to enter into (a console is easy to purchase and a PC though taking slightly more knowledge is quite simple to get a high end PC (by which I meant Far Cry 2 and Crysis on higher settings) for around £400). Though entering into PC gaming has a few holes which come from the companies which sell you the computer. Such as leading you to beleive a Laptop is better than it is (and more capable than it is) or having "complete" systems without a graphics card which can lead to reduced performance even just browsing the web or watching streaming video.

Basically both Console and PC have awesome games and neither is going anywhere for the time being.

BackpackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BackpackKat

go to  http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest. It will tell you what you can run.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By nicolenomicon
    @xplodedd said:
    " @SL33TBL1ND said:
    " @xplodedd said:
    " @daniel_beck_90 said:
    " @xplodedd said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    A winnar is you! "
    huh? "
    I meant the guy with the laptop is a winner because he can play those awesome games.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    @Pazy said:
    " @daniel_beck_90 said:
    " I never said there are no games to play . Of course there are quite a few games to play on PC but due to the fact that PC games usually sell less than their console counterpart most games are also on consoles . Do not you forget that many great games are console exclusive and  never even see a PC release . Overall I mostly use PC to play adventure games . 

"

To that same note there are many great PC games that have never and will never get a Console release. Such as the upcoming MMO Aion (and a bunch of other MMO's), games like Cryostasis, Economic Strategy games like the new East India Company, the new (free) realistic shooter America's Army 3, the Real Time Tactics (ish) game Demigod (and other Dota clones) and Spore. There are many other PC exclusives (not all of them great) but there is a great many games that will never come to consoles. There are even some experiences which are unuiqe to PC gaming (how often do you see a game like Sins of a Solar Empire on a console or even something as populer as an MMO which I beleive have 2 consoles releases originally from 2002 and 2003).

Both PC gaming and Console gaming have great games to there name, be they Multiplatform or Exclusive. Neither platform is prohibitably hard to enter into (a console is easy to purchase and a PC though taking slightly more knowledge is quite simple to get a high end PC (by which I meant Far Cry 2 and Crysis on higher settings) for around £400). Though entering into PC gaming has a few holes which come from the companies which sell you the computer. Such as leading you to beleive a Laptop is better than it is (and more capable than it is) or having "complete" systems without a graphics card which can lead to reduced performance even just browsing the web or watching streaming video.

Basically both Console and PC have awesome games and neither is going anywhere for the time being.

"
    I am not gonna deny the fact that PC has some really awesome games as well , but most of the exclusive titles for PC are either  RTS or MMO which simply is played better with a computer and mouse (Although strategy games are recently welcomed among console players with games like Halo wars and End War ) . Apart from that , other PC exclusives in more popular genres like FPS or Action are from obscure developers (usually Russian) with the exception of Crysis which is coming to consoles . Any other major title is multi-platform and I personally prefer the console versions over PC all the time . In the end it's only matter of personal preference to choose a platform but choosing consoles is always the 
    wiser choice nonetheless . 
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Pazy
    @daniel_beck_90 said:
    " @Pazy said:
    " @daniel_beck_90 said:

"

"
    I am not gonna deny the fact that PC has some really awesome games as well , but most of the exclusive titles for PC are either  RTS or MMO which simply is played better with a computer and mouse (Although strategy games are recently welcomed among console players with games like Halo wars and End War ) . Apart from that , other PC exclusives in more popular genres like FPS or Action are from obscure developers (usually Russian) with the exception of Crysis which is coming to consoles . Any other major title is multi-platform and I personally prefer the console versions over PC all the time . In the end it's only matter of personal preference to choose a platform but choosing consoles is always the  wiser choice nonetheless .  "

One the most anticipated games is Diablo 3 which is an action RPG, Stalker an FPS/RPG, Battlefield 1942/Vietnam/2/2142, Counterstrike: Source, Day of Defeat: Source? They are some of the most populer games on the PC (at least in terms of amount of players) and none of them are RTS or MMO. The PC can do genre's that the console does as well, namely the FPS genre which im using here as an example of a much larger idea, but generally they do them diffrently which is why a console port is either out of the question or massivly overhauled (like BF: Modern Combat and Bad Company).

Though I would agree with you its all personal preferance (personally I choose to play it all as much as I can) but how can you say its the "Wiser" choice? That to me dosent make much sense both PC and Console gaming provie fantastic and engaging games you can enjoy for years.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    @Pazy said:

One the most anticipated games is Diablo 3 which is an action RPG, Stalker an FPS/RPG, Battlefield 1942/Vietnam/2/2142, Counterstrike: Source, Day of Defeat: Source? They are some of the most populer games on the PC (at least in terms of amount of players) and none of them are RTS or MMO. The PC can do genre's that the console does as well, namely the FPS genre which im using here as an example of a much larger idea, but generally they do them diffrently which is why a console port is either out of the question or massivly overhauled (like BF: Modern Combat and Bad Company).

Though I would agree with you its all personal preferance (personally I choose to play it all as much as I can) but how can you say its the "Wiser" choice? That to me dosent make much sense both PC and Console gaming provie fantastic and engaging games you can enjoy for years.

"
    I said choosing console gaming is wiser because consoles are cheaper than a high-end PC , consoles are constantly supported both online and off , console games are more popular and thus have bigger online communities (with the exception of MMO genre ) , you do not have to worry about system requirements when it comes to console games since you know everything is set to maximum , easier access to DLCs and PSN/XBL , achievements/trophies , console games usually have no compatibility issue and so on . 
    Xelloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#46  Edited By Xelloss

So why didn't you go into a laptop gaming forum and ask them what graphics card to get in your laptop.  That way you would just had to shop around the graphics card and would of been able to pick up a good gaming laptop for 1250.

Like there is a giant Hierarchy list right here 
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html
     My 1520 Dell Inspiron that was made 2 years ago, 2ghz Dual core + 8600 GT is better then you current laptop at the same cost. Your card ranked 111 mine is 76.  Like you could of got the same system you bought with a Mobility Radeon HD 4570 bam, would of been able to play everything at medium-High settings.  But someone just seems to be bashing PC gaming for not doing their homework when it comes buying a laptop.  Someone made a bad buy.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    @Xelloss said:
    " So why didn't you go into a laptop gaming forum and ask them what graphics card to get in your laptop.  That way you would just had to shop around the graphics card and would of been able to pick up a good gaming laptop for 1250.

My 1520 Dell Inspiron that was made 2 years ago, 2ghz Dual core + 8600 GT is better then you current laptop at the same cost. Your card ranked 111 mine is 76.  Like you could of got the same system you bought with a Mobility Radeon HD 4570 bam, would of been able to play everything at medium-High settings.  But someone just seems to be bashing PC gaming for not doing their homework when it comes buying a laptop.  Someone made a bad buy. "
     Good for you , like I said I did not want to buy a gaming laptop in the first place but on the other hand I was expecting something a bit stronger  .
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Pazy
    @daniel_beck_90 said:
    " @Xelloss said:
    " So why didn't you go into a laptop gaming forum and ask them what graphics card to get in your laptop.  That way you would just had to shop around the graphics card and would of been able to pick up a good gaming laptop for 1250.

My 1520 Dell Inspiron that was made 2 years ago, 2ghz Dual core + 8600 GT is better then you current laptop at the same cost. Your card ranked 111 mine is 76.  Like you could of got the same system you bought with a Mobility Radeon HD 4570 bam, would of been able to play everything at medium-High settings.  But someone just seems to be bashing PC gaming for not doing their homework when it comes buying a laptop.  Someone made a bad buy. "
     Good for you , like I said I did not want to buy a gaming laptop in the first place but on the other hand I was expecting something a bit stronger  . "

Though for many its a strong point for some its the downfall of the PC (though it is actually what brought it to where it is, competition between companies) but having so much choice and so many diffrent names only those who care to know will know. People read a price and assume because its high its better which is completely wrong you have to go look at the specifications of the hardware and then compare that to the rest. Which is true for all hardware from TV's to MP3 players.

@daniel_beck_90 said:

" @Pazy said:

"
    I said choosing console gaming is wiser because consoles are cheaper than a high-end PC , consoles are constantly supported both online and off , console games are more popular and thus have bigger online communities (with the exception of MMO genre ) , you do not have to worry about system requirements when it comes to console games since you know everything is set to maximum , easier access to DLCs and PSN/XBL , achievements/trophies , console games usually have no compatibility issue and so on .  "

While I do agree that console gaming is easier (which in fact is the whole point of console gaming versus PC gaming) I would disagree on a couple of points.

Consoles are cheaper than a high-end PC - Consoles are cheaper but they provide limited functions, true they are providing more but on a PC you get to game and do almost anything else you want from TV/Radio, Office Working (i.e. Word Processing etc.), 3d Modelling, modding, email and so many other things and some of them also require the high end PC (for example the 3d modelling).

Consoles are better supported both online and off - Consoles are better supported in that if it breaks its fixed, if a game dosent work its there fault and gets fixed I would disagree about that as a blanket statement since there are many console games ive played where even though there is patching avalable they leave bugs alone because of the money it takes to fix, whereas on a PC a player will fix it potentially as well as a company. I'd say the online is exactly the same really since its done by companies and sometimes have server issues and such, though PC does have one advantage which is that players can run there own servers after a company pulls out (for example the Microsoft/Digital Anvil game Freelancer had a master server to allow players to find servers but they closed it down so now a fan runs one of there own).

You know everything is set to maximum - Consoles could be set to a potential maximum but most gamers arent, for example Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (excluding resolution) runs at about 70/80% of its graphic potential which a PC can provide. This is one of the trade off's you get with a console where it usually looks worse than the PC version (for example Far Cry 2 runs at 720p to keep the frame rate up whereas the PC version the potential for 1080p and higher resolutions) in order to keep the framerate stable.

But you are definately right that consoles are the easier choice, since that is what they were created for, I dont think that makes them the wiser choice. It does make it the more economic choice for sure.

Bioderm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bioderm

Your video card is crap it's not meant for games, doesn't you can't play game on it.. 

Console are for those that just want to play and not mess around with hardware and stuff

Pc is for more hardcore gamers that LIKE to tweak there own hardware, mess around with games files and can fix there own shit.  

I like both my console and my PC they have different usage

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    @Pazy said:

While I do agree that console gaming is easier (which in fact is the whole point of console gaming versus PC gaming) I would disagree on a couple of points.

Consoles are cheaper than a high-end PC - Consoles are cheaper but they provide limited functions, true they are providing more but on a PC you get to game and do almost anything else you want from TV/Radio, Office Working (i.e. Word Processing etc.), 3d Modelling, modding, email and so many other things and some of them also require the high end PC (for example the 3d modelling).

Consoles are better supported both online and off - Consoles are better supported in that if it breaks its fixed, if a game dosent work its there fault and gets fixed I would disagree about that as a blanket statement since there are many console games ive played where even though there is patching avalable they leave bugs alone because of the money it takes to fix, whereas on a PC a player will fix it potentially as well as a company. I'd say the online is exactly the same really since its done by companies and sometimes have server issues and such, though PC does have one advantage which is that players can run there own servers after a company pulls out (for example the Microsoft/Digital Anvil game Freelancer had a master server to allow players to find servers but they closed it down so now a fan runs one of there own).

You know everything is set to maximum - Consoles could be set to a potential maximum but most gamers arent, for example Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (excluding resolution) runs at about 70/80% of its graphic potential which a PC can provide. This is one of the trade off's you get with a console where it usually looks worse than the PC version (for example Far Cry 2 runs at 720p to keep the frame rate up whereas the PC version the potential for 1080p and higher resolutions) in order to keep the framerate stable.

But you are definately right that consoles are the easier choice, since that is what they were created for, I dont think that makes them the wiser choice. It does make it the more economic choice for sure.

"
    I see .Like I said earlier , choosing platform is solely a matter of personal preference .

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.