Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

First time PC build advice. :D

gungrave45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By gungrave45

Hello fellow Bombadiers,

I am looking to get into pc gaming but not necessarily build a pc myself. I do however plan on buying the parts myself, and getting assistance with the build and setup portion.

Here is the tentative list I came up with

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hV7bGf

I am looking to have pc gaming to be my future setup permanently eventually and so I want this build to be somewhat high end, as I am simply used to console gaming. I am looking to play most current games at 60 fps and a good graphics upgrade over my current ps4.

I live in Canada and have a ballpark budget of $2300. The number one question I have about my build is what casing to buy. I am not sure what kind of case would work well with the other parts I've listed, or if it would be a big deal in the long run.

Thanks all the help that anyone can provide would be very much appreciated!!

Sillypug

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By azulot

Hey there, the link you provided doesnt have any parts listed

gungrave45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azulot: Hopefully its fixed now... :s

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#4  Edited By falconer

I wouldn't get that cooler. I built my first PC last year with that same cooler and same mobo and had a bitch of a time putting it on. I quite literally thought I was going to break something. Look into Noctua, I hear great things about them.

Never buy a Seagate drive. Never.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WynnDuffy

PSU is extremely overkill, you don't need more than a good 450W for any single GPU setup

If you think you might add a second 1070 in the future, get at least 550 to be on the safe side

Also even as a happy 6700k owner, I'd probably say go Ryzen instead if they're widely available now, killer bang for buck

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That case looks roomy enough for all your components. Corsair make fairly sturdy cases. The only thing to note is it doesn't contain any optical drive bays so if you plan on installing a Blu-Ray drive you may wish to choose another case. Nothing wrong with Seagate drives. Used them for years without any issues but you may wish to price the Samsung SSDs in case you find a better deal. Good luck with the build. Let us know how it goes!

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty said:

That case looks roomy enough for all your components. Corsair make fairly sturdy cases. The only thing to note is it doesn't contain any optical drive bays so if you plan on installing a Blu-Ray drive you may wish to choose another case. Nothing wrong with Seagate drives. Used them for years without any issues but you may wish to price the Samsung SSDs in case you find a better deal. Good luck with the build. Let us know how it goes!

Their reliability is basically the worst. I've had good luck with them but I do avoid them as much as possible, currently have a new 3TB Toshiba which is part of a fairly new series of hard drives and it's doing fine.

I don't think I've ever actually had a Seagate fail but some of the data out there is damning.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Couple pieces of advice.

1. Their is a better cooler for the same price try the CRYORIG H7 Tower Cooler. It's around the same price for better performance

2. The GTX 1080 can be had for $500. It's not that much more money than you're paying now for the 1070. Plus if you go on the subreddit r/hardwareswap you'll see a ton of people selling theirs for $450 because of the 1080TI

3. The power supply is way overkill. You'll be fine with 500 watts. Get a 650 watt PSU if you want a little headroom but it is still overkill.

afields101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wait a month or so, 1080ti about to drop

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually had a lot of similar parts for my build last month.

With the cooler, for mine the instruction booklet that came with was wrong. As in, it had the parts reversed and mislabeled. We ended up having to completely take off the cooler twice. Luckily, I bought additional thermal paste.

I would also second that you could save some money with your PSU, and upgrade your GPU. I was able to get my 1080 for $~500 during a superbowl sale but the price has dropped now.

For the case, I bought a Fractal Design midtower case. Has more than enough room and comes with additional fans already installed in a push-pull fashion. It was about $10 more than the case you have.

Good luck!

gungrave45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the advice duders! I'll definitely take some of these points into account when compiling my build list!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.