Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

GFX card for a 27" monitor

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By warxsnake

Hey  

For a while I've had monitors between 1920x1080 and 1920x1200.  
    I just ordered an Asus PB278Q 27" 2560x1440 monitor as my main gaming/work monitor, my secondary monitor being a Wacom Cintiq 24" 1600x1200.  

What would be the min class spec for nvidia card I should go with from now on to run games comfortably at that main resolution? Back when I had 1920x1200 I would go for the GTX x70 (right now I have a GTX570) 

Should I just bump it up to a GTX x80 or do I have to go even further? I really don't want to spend on a dual PCB card but if I absolutely have to... 

Worse case is I upscale the games from 1080, I just need the workspace for 3dsmax and photoshop and whatnot. 

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By amafi

The 570 should do the job, you might just need to turn the AA down a notch or two. I've got a slightly OC'ed 570 myself (asus DCII triple slot cooler beast thing) and it runs 1440p fine. Some games I turn some effects down a bit or drop the AA, but it works.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By warxsnake

Looks like I'm just going to settle with a single PCB but with tons of memory, in this case a GTX680 with 4GBvram

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By warxsnake
    @Amafi said:

The 570 should do the job, you might just need to turn the AA down a notch or two. I've got a slightly OC'ed 570 myself (asus DCII triple slot cooler beast thing) and it runs 1440p fine. Some games I turn some effects down a bit or drop the AA, but it works.

Good to hear. I really don't want to purchase anything from the 6series as next gen consoles are right around the corner and DX11 requirements will skyrocket (no game has really taken full advantage of DX11 yet apart from maybe metro) 
    So I'll try to hold onto my 570 as long as possible till hopefully GTX780 or even 880
    amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By amafi

Yeah, I'm looking to upgrade next year myself, holding off until the haswell parts and next gen nvidia cards ship. Also really hoping now that there are more high dpi panels out there (retina mac book pro, etc) we can get some decent resolution PC monitors.

I'd kill a man for a 24" 2560x1600 IPS monitor. Twice.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Th3_James

You are going to need more than a 570.

If you want to game at that resolution with modern games at high settings with a great framerate I would say go sli 680 or crossfire 7970.

I have 2 2560x1600 monitors so I know how demanding that resolution can be. Also, it will eat VRAM, get 3gb or more. Keep in mind if you put 2 680s with 2gb vram in sli you will only get to use 2gb of vram, not 4. same works for AMD cards in crossfire.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By warxsnake
    @Th3_James said:

If you want to game at that resolution with modern games at high settings with a great framerate I would say go sli 680 or crossfire 7970.

I have 2 2560x1600 monitors so I know how demanding that resolution can be. Also, it will eat VRAM, get 3gb or more. Keep in mind if you put 2 680s with 2gb vram in sli you will only get to use 2gb of vram, not 4. same works for AMD cards in crossfire.

If I was going to buy a card, I'd prefer single card solutions, like a single 680 with 4GBvram. Because anyway, increased resolution mostly benefits from more vram, more cores will do ~nothing for it.  
    I want to avoid the hassle of sli/crossfire as the power consumption/performance ratio is less than ideal. I don't know if nvidia/amd still have trouble with new games and dual gpu support but yeah, I don't want to deal with that.  
    But thanks for the feedback about the 570, I'll test it out once I get the new monitor and yeah, might need to replace it :S
    Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Th3_James

@warxsnake said:

@Th3_James said:

If I was going to buy a card, I'd prefer single card solutions, like a single 680 with 4GBvram. Because anyway, increased resolution mostly benefits from more vram, more cores will do ~nothing for it. I want to avoid the hassle of sli/crossfire as the power consumption/performance ratio is less than ideal. I don't know if nvidia/amd still have trouble with new games and dual gpu support but yeah, I don't want to deal with that. But thanks for the feedback about the 570, I'll test it out once I get the new monitor and yeah, might need to replace it :S

I haven't had any trouble with my crossfire setup, in most cases I see almost 100% scaling. Depends on the game though. If you aren't going with a dual gpu setup I would reccomend a 680 4gb edition or a 7970.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By warxsnake
    @Th3_James: Aight thanks! I'll do some tests once I get the monitor and yeah most likely will have to get the card I linked. 
    Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Th3_James

@warxsnake said:

@Th3_James: Aight thanks! I'll do some tests once I get the monitor and yeah most likely will have to get the card I linked.

You will be blown away by how crisp everything is at that resolution. You will no longer need to use AA due to the sheer number of pixels, and if you see something small that annoys you 2x will remove any trace of jaggies.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By amafi

@Th3_James said:

2560x1440 runs fine on a single 570 here. Of course, my definition of "fine" might differ from yours. I'm not running sleeping dogs with everything turned to max and 16x msaa or anything. But it looks good and runs smooth.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Th3_James

@Amafi said:

@Th3_James said:

2560x1440 runs fine on a single 570 here. Of course, my definition of "fine" might differ from yours. I'm not running sleeping dogs with everything turned to max and 16x msaa or anything. But it looks good and runs smooth.

I don't use anything over 2xAA when gaming at 2560x1600. Really depends on the game though. I'm just saying, if you are going to buy a card might aswell buy the best one you can at the time. There are various games that do require a 680 or 7970 to run 60+ at high resolutions.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By amafi

Oh yeah, no doubt. But if you already have a 570 that's serviceable until the next gen comes out around easter next year.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Devildoll

@warxsnake said:

@Th3_James said:

If I was going to buy a card, I'd prefer single card solutions, like a single 680 with 4GBvram. Because anyway, increased resolution mostly benefits from more vram, more cores will do ~nothing for it. I want to avoid the hassle of sli/crossfire as the power consumption/performance ratio is less than ideal. I don't know if nvidia/amd still have trouble with new games and dual gpu support but yeah, I don't want to deal with that. But thanks for the feedback about the 570, I'll test it out once I get the new monitor and yeah, might need to replace it :S

i would look up some performance tests between a 2GB and a 4GB 680 before picking the 4GB one, since i believe they come at a hefty premium.

I say this cause i fear that the 680 doesn't have enough oumphf to crank out a decent framerate at any setting that would use that much vram.

for multi-gpu setups, sure, the horsepower is there to utilize the extra memory, on single cards, not quite sure it'll be beneficial at all over the regular 2GB.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By warxsnake

Just got the monitor and holy fuck this size and res, bananas 
    Games look insane 
    Also cant wait to work with zbrush and 3dsmax at this res

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.