Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Has Anyone Upgraded From a GTX 980 to a GTX 1070?

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Looking to see if it's actually even worth upgrading my GTX 980 right now because from the reviews I've seen, it only seems marginly better than a GTX 980 TI which is only marginly better then a regular 980 anyway. I don't need a 1070, but I want one, this card is nearly two years old in my case now, and I've pushed this thing to the MAX with max usage so no idea how many more months I've got left before I may be forced into a change anyway. Example of pushing it to the max, spending 14 hours non stop play in games like ARK and The Division and GTAV at 4k and 2k resolutions.... I've really stressed this card out hard over long periods of time.......

Anyway back ON topic again... Yeah so I'm wondering if anyone who has done a leap upgrade to a 1070 and noticed better then just great performance with that card.... Supposed to be on par with a TitanX but everyones benchmarks are so different, its hard to consistantly get an accurate account of how good this card is where as the 1080, so long as you OC it to 2100mhz its ABSOLUTELY consistantly better then 2 980s in SLI...

thanks for any replies!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: yeah I didn't see an answer to my question in there...

Samael2138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm running a Gigabyte 1070, and it's basically overkill at 1080. DOOM is running with most options on nightmare(a step above ultra) at a rock solid 60fps( I use Vsync because I hate tearing, or it would run around 140-190fps). Thats pushing between 40-60% of the GPU, steady temp of 60c, and the core clock is around 1506mhz. At 4k it defaults to Ultra from nightmare, runs around 45-55fps, with spikes up to 60, but also puts the GPU at 100%, Temp going up to around 75-77c, core clock was spiking up to 1886mhz. I haven't had time to game for more than maybe 3-4 hours straight,but top temp I've had since purchase was 78c. I manually set the fan to around 2400 rpm when I'm gaming.

My last card was a 690, so going to a 1070 has been pretty substantial. Going from a 980 might not be as impressive.

I'm on a liquid cooled i7 6700 at 3.6ghz, 16gb DDR4, and all my games are on a 250gb Samsung SSD

Hope some of that helps!

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samael2138: It may not answer my question specifically but it all helps man, thanks! Almost everyone I've seen who owned a 980 just jumped straight to the 1080 rather than the 1070 so its hard to say if it'll be worth it... maybe i should just jump straight to a 1080 instead..

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a 980ti and can still run pretty much everything maxed out, from my perspective there's no point in upgrading for another couple years maybe.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#7  Edited By isomeri

Upgrading from a 980 to a 1070 seems a tad silly to me. If you're willing to splurge on a new GPU every couple of years and money is pretty much no object, then go straight for the 1080. If you are on any sort of budget, then I'd probably recommend waiting one more year. From what I understand the 1080 is the first viable card for 4K resolutions, but still doesn't run most games well. Maybe the eventual 1100-line will achieve that, who knows.

My plan is to get a 1060 to replace my five year old 560ti (still runs most games OK), and then get a spanking new card when I update my displays to 4K in maybe a year or two.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By spazmaster666

@isomeri said:

Upgrading from a 980 to a 1070 seems a tad silly to me. If you're willing to splurge on a new GPU every couple of years and money is pretty much no object, then go straight for the 1080. If you are on any sort of budget, then I'd probably recommend waiting one more year. From what I understand the 1080 is the first viable card for 4K resolutions, but still doesn't run most games well. Maybe the eventual 1100-line will achieve that, who knows.

My plan is to get a 1060 to replace my five year old 560ti (still runs most games OK), and then get a spanking new card when I update my displays to 4K in maybe a year or two.

But the price difference between the 1070 and the 1080 is quite severe to the point that you can almost get 1070 SLI (currently ~$800-$900) for the price of a 1080 (currently ~$650-$750). Also even at 1080p there are many games that the GTX 980 will most definitely not be able to run at a solid 60 fps with maxed out settings (Witcher 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, The Division, etc). The GTX 1070 is a solid 40-50% faster than the GTX 980 and if you can find one for <$400 I would say it's a worth while upgrade (even better if you can sell that 980 for ~$200) even if you are running a 1080p screen.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#10  Edited By isomeri

@spazmaster666: Right, I forgot that the pricing over there is a tad more reasonable. Sorry. Yes, a <$400 1070 could make sense if you can sell your 980 for a reasonable price. Out here the 1070 is ~$600 and the 1080 ~$800, which is why I'm leaning towards a 1060 for $330. Or I'd be happy if I found a slightly used 980 for less than that.

I've never really had this compulsion of having to run every game on max settings at 60fps. Games generally look fantastic nowadays, even on consoles or on PC at medium settings. But on the other hand I do understand the appeal of being on the cutting edge of PC technology. It's just so darn expensive to keep up with all that stuff.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going from the top-tier 900 series card to the mid-tier 1000 series card seems a bit off. Get the 1080 or go home.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm on a 770 and it's been generally fine in terms of getting 60fps with setting on high but more current games like The Witcher 3, DOOM and Grand Theft Auto 5 are forcing me to use settings more in the medium range. Prices are a bit out of whack at the moment due to supply issues and high demand though so I'm still just going to wait.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was actually going to make this same thread before i decided to just get the 1080, from everything that i have gathered an upgrade from a 980 to 1070 wouldn't really be worth it. Like you said it's basically a slightly better 980TI so it's not a big enough leap IMO from a 980 like i decided the 1080 would be. I see it like this, a 980 is probably going to be pretty damn good at 1080p for a year or 2, but it's already hit it's limit at 1440p with diminishing returns. So a 1070 will probably have an even shorter shelf life at 1440p since it will likely be used as the mid/high tier goal for newly developed games while the 1080 will be the upper end until the TI is released. So your looking at either a 400$ 1 or 2 year ivestment vs a 6-700$ 4 or so year investment(imo) so that's how i based my decision.

And honestly, WAIT! Wait for the price to drop, don't be like me be better than me lol.

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I have a 970 and max out doom, tomb raider and gta5 etc without problems with good fps. I have a feeling an upgrade won't be necessary for another couple of years.

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I upgraded my 980 Ti to a 1080, and it is quite a bit faster, but I was already maxing out games (1080p, 60fps, with DSR usually) in most cases. 980 to a 1070 is ALMOST worth it if you can sell the 980 for $200+.

I got lucky and sold my 980 Ti for $425 right after the $250 GTX 1060 was announced (which is almost as fast as a 980 Ti), before prices plummeted. I didn't need the upgrade except for future VR games, because it's really easy to get motion sick for me if I don't have a maxed out framerate and high supersampling for each VR game - having played VR games on a 970, it's just barely enough for the tech demos so far to keep from getting sick, so it won't be optimal for too long.

Plus I was using NowInStock.net to buy two 1080's at release when they were hard to find in stock, so I made $300 on those as well - which paid for my 1080 with the sale of the 980 Ti also. Not a bad tactic, barely any work!

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombievac: What is a good place to sell old cards? I'm thinking about trying to get 200 for my 980 if it's still possible, anything lower i may just keep it.

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zombievac

@zombievac: What is a good place to sell old cards? I'm thinking about trying to get 200 for my 980 if it's still possible, anything lower i may just keep it.

I use eBay, but because I have an established seller account it makes it easier to get buyers... but it's still worth a try because eBay has the largest amount of buyers for this type of thing, that I know of at least, so establishing a seller account isn't a bad idea and it's easy to sell & setup listings these days.

Be careful about allowing international sales, lots of fraud there - look into what you should do if you want to open the auction to international buyers, there are lots of forum posts about how to do it and what to look out for.

I would choose a Buy it Now type sale if you can look up the value people are getting for their recently sold listings of the same card, used - set it a bit high and allow people to make offers on it. Then lower it eventually if it's not selling.

I find it's a really easy way to make a quick buck if a new product is hard to find in stock or you find a good sale on something. Easy to spend 30 mins overall and make a couple hundred a month on various things I notice on deal threads and such, or when new very hard to get products launch (like everything top-end NVIDIA launch, or new game consoles that are selling out, etc).

Good luck!

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombievac: Thanks for the info, i'll definitely look into it next week after i spend some time with this new card :-)

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
    deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If I were you, I would wait 1-2 years for the 1080ti and just upgrade to that.

I have a 980ti and since I play on 1440p, I think I will be more than fine. If you are only using 1080p, I think the 980 will be good enough for another 2 years.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By VACkillers

@castermhief117: As hard as I push this card regularly making GPU usage hit 100%, I doubt it would be able to last another 2 years lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.