Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Headphones?

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Rockanomics

My recent headset just S the bed, probably from running over the wires all the time. But it broke in a very strange fashion, not only did I put them down, go upstairs and come back to have them not working. But now they only output certain channels or something, like some songs I can only make out the guitar. Left and right work, but I dunno.

Anyway, I'm in need of a new set, and wondering what's good. Built in mic is pretty much a must.
    I'm very interested in 5.1 headphones, and I'd like to use a pair that actually pull it off. I should have the hardware for it.

Gotta be comfy, but they can look like whatever. And I don't mind spending too much.

Suggestions?

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Demilich

>5.1 headphones

:/

Headsets are a waste of money. Get a cheap desk mic and some Sennheisers. If you're willing to spend between $100 and $200 I'd recommend an HD555.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Hamz

This is my headset....Creative Fatal1ty Pro-Series Gaming Headset

Flexible mic that can be removed from the headset if you just want to listen to stuff. And with the mic being flexible and bendy you can literally just bend it as far or close to your mouth and such without any trouble. Really handy if you want to have a drink but the mics in the way but can't be bothered pausing a game to take off the headset. Earpads are large and coated in a velvet covering making them soft and comfortable.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Hamz said:
    "This is my headset....Creative Fatal1ty Pro-Series Gaming Headset

Flexible mic that can be removed from the headset if you just want to listen to stuff. And with the mic being flexible and bendy you can literally just bend it as far or close to your mouth and such without any trouble. Really handy if you want to have a drink but the mics in the way but can't be bothered pausing a game to take off the headset. Earpads are large and coated in a velvet covering making them soft and comfortable."

That's mine, I have the HS myself and was about to recommend it :D

I got mine a touch cheaper here-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000P5VR16/ref=sr_1_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1226488661&sr=8-1

Demilich
    said:
    ">5.1 headphones

Headsets are a waste of money. Get a cheap desk mic and some Sennheisers. If you're willing to spend between $100 and $200 I'd recommend an HD555."

Sennheisers are awesome but I don't agree, a good headset is vital if you use VC seriously. I would not want sound pollution from my speaker set up affecting the clarity of my VC.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pause422
    Hamz said:

Flexible mic that can be removed from the headset if you just want to listen to stuff. And with the mic being flexible and bendy you can literally just bend it as far or close to your mouth and such without any trouble. Really handy if you want to have a drink but the mics in the way but can't be bothered pausing a game to take off the headset. Earpads are large and coated in a velvet covering making them soft and comfortable."
    oh Hamz, that makes me sick inside almost >.< ( I know its just a headset, and just messing :P) but god, I wish fatality would just get shot.
    Zebadee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zebadee

I have a Speed-Link Medusa Home Edition 5.1 Surround Headset which I highly suggest, the sound quality is excellent and the amp that comes with it makes it a lot more easier to switch between different inputs and outputs.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Linkyshinks
    pause422 said:
    "Hamz said:

oh Hamz, that makes me sick inside almost >.< ( I know its just a headset, and just messing :P) but god, I wish fatality would just get shot."

Jonathan Wendel would really need to get shot in the face for that to happen.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pause422

I know that....and that would be a great day in my eyes.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Demilich
    Linkyshinks said:
    Demilich said:
    ">5.1 headphones

Headsets are a waste of money. Get a cheap desk mic and some Sennheisers. If you're willing to spend between $100 and $200 I'd recommend an HD555."

Sennheisers are awesome but I don't agree, a good headset is vital if you use VC seriously. I would not want sound pollution from my speaker set up affecting the clarity of my VC.

"
    If you're an Audiophile a headset is a waste of money. But I suppose if you can't tell the difference between great sound quality and mediocrity a headset is OK. They're definitely more convenient, but not cost efficient. Any cheap desk mic should be able to pick up your voice clearly from 1-3 feet away.
    Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Stevokenevo

but you have the problem off pissing everyone else in the game off by having echoed sound from your speakers going through your mic!  its really annoying online.

anyway; headset, medusa 5.1's as noted a few above.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Demilich
    Stevokenevo said:
    "but you have the problem off pissing everyone else in the game off by having echoed sound from your speakers going through your mic"
    That's why you use headphones?
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Stevokenevo said:
    "but you have the problem off pissing everyone else in the game off by having echoed sound from your speakers going through your mic!  its really annoying online.

anyway; headset, medusa 5.1's as noted a few above."

Just how good are these and other similar headphones at mimicking 5.1?, Will you get a good sense of the direction of sound sources? 

Open question to anyone who owns one.

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Stevokenevo

i had been using them on a 2.1 card for awhile and when i upgraded to 5.1 the change was amazing.  they do mimick sound direction pretty damn well (dont know exactly how they compare to actual surround sound systems however)

@Diemlich  - that aswell as not annoying neighbours / family members with excessive noise.  and the convenience of the mic being near to my mouth when i speak. and the sound quality because you hear less sound from other sources (like a tv in another room)

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Demilich

Well, outside noise isn't a problem in my house.

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Stevokenevo

then i guess you dont need a headset.  each to his/hers own.  :-)

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By mracoon

I just have some ordinary headphones and they do the job just fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Hamz said:

Yeah I own this one also, my head tends to get a little soar from wearing this for long periods of time, but other then that it`s pretty good.
    Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Systech
    Demilich said:
    ">5.1 headphones

He said he wanted a new headset. He's going to get a headset.
    Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sushbag
    Hamz said:

Oh my god. Someone actually bought the fatality "pro series" headset? Kill yourself.

OP: Cheap stick mic + Sennheisers.
    bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By bjorno

Get a cheap desk mic and a set of Sennheisers.
    HD555s are great.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Hamz
    Sushbag said:
    "Hamz said:

Oh my god. Someone actually bought the fatality "pro series" headset? Kill yourself.

OP: Cheap stick mic + Sennheisers."
    I don't quite understand the hate for the Fatality pro series headset. Its a solid purchase, pricey compared to some other headsets but worth every one of the £30 i spent on it. Never have i had such a good headset of such high quality sound and recording aswell as comfort.

But a cheap headset and you get a cheap crap piece of plastic that begins to break or just is overall of poor quality, thats what i've found in the numerous headsets i have had over the years. Thats why i went the little extra for the Pro Series, not regretted it yet.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By jakob187

We've got Plantronics up here at the game center, but I don't remember what kind.  They've got damn fine sound to them, extra comfy, and they aren't super expensive.  They've got a 1 year warranty on them for anything, it doesn't matter if you step on them and break the things.  Hell, you could pee in the headphones and they'll take them back.  Pretty sweet...although I've never actually peed in them before.

We've got people using them all the time, mistreating them and shit, and they definitely take a beating.  A handful of our pairs have lasted the 4 years we've been open, but most of them are about 1-2 years old at the most, and even then, that's with constant abuse from little dipshit kids.

So I'd look into those.  If I can find the model number out for you, I'll let you know.

....and fuck Fatal1ty.  That dood is a jerkoff in real life and I have no intentions of EVER supporting his stupid ass.

*EDIT*  Alright, so I found out the model number, but unfortunately, they have been completely discontinued by Plantronics.  They've upgraded to some pieces of shit now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.