Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

I built a PC and it's not working!

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3
    deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am a big dummy. Please help me duders!

Over the Christmas holidays I bought a bunch of PC parts. I only recently got the time to actually put it all together. I "finished" building my PC a few hours ago and tried to start it up. When I do I get a blank screen on my monitor (all black). After about 20 seconds the PC turns off, and then turns back on a second later. The screen stays blank the entire time.

My parts:

Processor = i7-4790K

MOBO = ASRock H97 Pro4 LGA 1150

GFX = Radeon R9 290

PSU = Rosewill PHOTON-750

RAM = G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

HDD = WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB

Please save me from my idiot brain.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I'm assuming you installed Windows onto it?

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Are you getting beeps or red lights on your motherboard? Your manual should help you figure out what's failing the power on self test if you're not getting a bios splash screen.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Check all of your connections, make sure everything is in the right spot and snug.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I thought I had to see a bios screen before I put in the OS disc? I am not a clever girl.

Are you getting beeps or red lights on your motherboard? Your manual should help you figure out what's failing the power on self test if you're not getting a bios splash screen.

I did not see any red lights or hear any beeps. I will go over the manual again.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LiquidPrince

@onlykris said:

@liquidprince said:

No, I thought I had to see a bios screen before I put in the OS disc? I am not a clever girl.

You should be able to access your BIOS as soon as your computer turns on by holding some key. The key depends on you MOBO but is usually between F9-F12. The issue you're describing could be that your system is trying to boot into Windows, is not finding it and is rebooting endlessly because it thinks that it boot into the wrong thing. Try popping in your Windows disc and see if it boots into that drive. If not, check your connections and make sure everything is connected properly.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Maybe one of the components isn't properly locked into place. Happened to me once when I found out that I didn't actually have the RAM pushed in all the way into the slot.

Avatar image for physicalscience
    physicalscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By bybeach

@liquidprince said:

@onlykris said:

@liquidprince said:

You should be able to access your BIOS as soon as your computer turns on by holding some key. The key depends on you MOBO but is usually between F9-F12. The issue you're describing could be that your system is trying to boot into Windows, is not finding it and is rebooting endlessly because it thinks that it boot into the wrong thing. Try popping in your Windows disc and see if it boots into that drive. If not, check your connections and make sure everything is connected properly.

It might be wise to have the OS disk in the drive, as mentioned. And go over your work as also mentioned, especially if you were going by something. I followed Will Smith's old video computer install on my other PC for much of my installation.

And amazing problems do occur. My Cooler Master case was bad for example. Figuered it out by pushing the start button on the MB. It can be unnerving the first time around, try to go by instruction you can follow. Ton of that on you tube.

I push Delete for my Asus MB to access bios, but you should be seeing something right off.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Suggestions

• Ensure the secondary CPU power connector is hooked
    • Ensure the GPU power connectors are hooked up
    • Ensure the memory is correctly seated

If all that is OK take the video card out and hook up the on board and see if you can POST. If that doesn't work leave the GPU out and try booting with only 1 memory DIMM plugged in (rotate them in and our). If that doesn't work then it's a fair bet the motherboard is DOA thus confirming my continuing personal bias against ASROCK.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By cornbredx

Make sure your CPU is properly plugged in. If a prong is bent, or it is in anyway not on the mobo the computer won't turn on at all (or POST to be more specific).

Make sure your RAM is plugged in properly. It won't necessarily cause your computer to not POST, but all kinds of trouble can arise if it's not working properly so it's important to check.

Make sure your GPU is receiving enough power. Some require two connections to your PSU- that's why I mention it.

Make sure your PSU is plugged into the mobo properly.

It could be rebooting on it's own if it's constantly attempting to run something, but is requiring a response and not getting it. Unlikely, but possible.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Good luck.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

If you're not hearing any post test or getting the bios splash screen to pop up might be good to run through each part you connected and make sure it's properly seated and connected correctly. If nothing goes it wouldn't be a bad idea if you have a decent camera or phone to take a pic of the inside of the rig and let us see what you got. Might be something that another person might spot.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sounds like it could be a lot of things but I'm thinking it's a motherboard issue. If everything is hooked up properly you should be taken straight into the bios. It doesn't (or shouldn't, anyway) do anything with the OS until you specifically tell it to.

It's unfortunately not uncommon to get DOA motherboards. Since you got it recently it's probably covered by some manufactures warranty, so they should replace it for you. (Hopefully ASROCK has good customer service!)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Status report! I have followed all suggestions. I reviewed my work, replugged, and reattached everything.I put in the OS before start-up. I pressed and held every button from F1-F12, and also tried the DELETE key.

Good news: The PC no longer turns off after a period of 20-30 seconds. I left it running for 5 minutes and it still stayed on.

Bad news: I still get a blank screen.

It sounds like it could be a lot of things but I'm thinking it's a motherboard issue. If everything is hooked up properly you should be taken straight into the bios. It doesn't (or shouldn't, anyway) do anything with the OS until you specifically tell it to.

It's unfortunately not uncommon to get DOA motherboards. Since you got it recently it's probably covered by some manufactures warranty, so they should replace it for you. (Hopefully ASROCK has good customer service!)

Maybe this is the problem? I will contact ASRock and see if I can get a replacement.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onlykris: How do you have the monitor connected to your pc? If you have it connected directly to your gfx card try connecting it to your onboard vga port and see if you get any picture. Might be an issue until you can install drivers for your gfx card.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft said:

@onlykris: How do you have the monitor connected to your pc? If you have it connected directly to your gfx card try connecting it to your onboard vga port and see if you get any picture. Might be an issue until you can install drivers for your gfx card.

I gave this a try (had to dig up a VGA cable!) and still nothing. :(

But thanks for the help everyone, I've contacted ASRock and explained my problem. I will post an update when they get back to me.

bowlcut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What @i_stay_puft said. If you have onboard video, plug near your USB plugs and such not the separate video card, plug into it. There will be a setting in the bios to switch to the IGP ( think its igp iz forgetfull )... for your primary output. Then switch the cable and reboot.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By mike

@onlykris: Did you connect both motherboard power connectors, the 24 pin and the 8 pin? The 24 pin is on the right, the aux CPU power connector is on the top. I ask because it's pretty common for people to forget the latter.

You could also always post pics of the build and any configuration mistakes will be evident to experienced builders.

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Taking the CPU out of the socket and reinstalling it afterwards does help sometime. But be careful when you do it.

Midjet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A picture of your motherboard install/layout might not hurt.

You've got the display you're using set to the proper input as well as powered on correct? Do the fans spin up on your video card? It could be one small thing that slipped your mind while building it that will make you feel silly after you find it. (Forgot many io panels in many builds)

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this your first time doing this? I don't want to sound condescending or anything, but are you sure you haven't shorted the board in some way?

I.e. you've set it down on the spacers provided, and not just screwed it to the case?

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rethla

If all the fans and the HDD starts and keeps running you shuld be ok. Check that the RAM is properly attached and if they are i think youre problem is to get a picture. Do you have the monitor correctly setup with the right input selected and right cables, double and triple check that.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You might have gotten a broken MoBo , i once did and i wasted days trying to figure what i did wrong .

ds9143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reset the CMOS on your motherboard. Asrock are notorious for this issue. Look it up in your mobo manual.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onlykris: Yeah that could be a number of things, what MB said has a high probability of being the culprit though, check to see if you connected both power connectors on the motherboard.

Also may I suggest that if you do get a mobo replacement get at least a asrock z97 extreme 6, or any z97 board really, it's shame to have a i7 4790k on such a low end motherboard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.