Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

I just bought a (second-hand) CRT monitor in 2016

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3acaf4ac035
    deactivated-5d3acaf4ac035

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It's a Sony GDM-FW900, which many forum posts refer to as the best consumer CRT monitor ever made. It's 24", the sticker on the back says it was made in 2001, it weighs 45 kilo (100 lbs), and the maximum resolution is 2304x1440 at 80Hz.

I don't have much experience with CRTs as I didn't have a high-end monitor back in the day. This thing only takes VGA and BNC inputs, I'm currently using a VGA->DVI-I cable, since my graphics card (GTX 970) does not have a VGA output. I have it running on factory default settings and the colour reproduction, sharpness and "convergence" (especially near the edges) compared to my Dell U2412M LCD looks kinda bad. I'm also unable to select any display modes with refresh rates higher than 85Hz. I've done some research online and it seems like I could get a better image using the BNC input.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Some things do look better on it - any video/movie that was not shot in HD, sports (Formula 1 looks awesome on it) and racing games. I just wish I knew how to properly configure/calibrate it. I've paid £120 (~170 US dollars) for it.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Jealous of your CRT. Not jealous of the weight! I remember trying to lug my old VVega around - that sucked!

Do you have two horizontal lines going across the display?

You'll probably want to keep the brightness/contrast to lower settings. If you want to keep this monitor for a while, that is.

Degauss it. I know you want to. BREEEOW!

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

mmmmmm. Jelly I am

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3acaf4ac035
    deactivated-5d3acaf4ac035

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@zelyre said:

Jealous of your CRT. Not jealous of the weight! I remember trying to lug my old VVega around - that sucked!

Do you have two horizontal lines going across the display?

You'll probably want to keep the brightness/contrast to lower settings. If you want to keep this monitor for a while, that is.

Degauss it. I know you want to. BREEEOW!

I had to turn the brightness down to get decent black levels anyway. No horizontal lines, only some scratches in the anti-glare coating. It took 3 people to get this thing out of the car and up the stairs.

If I can work out the issues and they're not due to age, then it will be an awesome monitor.

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell of a deal for that monitor, great find, even if it is "Ancient Technology" that thing is kind of a beast. Take good care of it.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bybeach

I love my old CRT. It is a Mitsubishi diamond pro 2070, maybe close to 15 years old or more. I'm not using it right now, need to get my second PC up and running. It was a sort of high end-ish monitor in it's day, but games and such have moved on from 4:3 for a significant amount.

Eventually I have to figure out what to do with it.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ha nice, I have 3 actually! I have a PC monitor (also a trinitron actually!) that I love to play old games on. Like I went back and played Starcraft (the first) on it and it was perfect. I've got a CRT TV with Component ports that I use to play anything pre-HD on, as well as this ridiculous widescreen CRT (also with component ports) I bought in high-school that I keep around because DVDs and like Wii games look great on it.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

After hauling around a, beautiful, stupid heavy Sony XRB WEGA from apartment to apartment, I just had to give it away. It was a nice CRT, but it was probably 160 lbs and 2nd floor apartments were killing me. I bought it from Crutchfield in 1999, and I think I bought it because it did 480p or It was a very nice CRT, yet I could just barely lift it myself.

I am so glad to have now owned a 32" 1080p HDTV for many years, because it only weights 45 lbs! It is an old HDTV for sure, so if I bought a 40" 4K now it would just weigh 22 lbs!

1999 : 27"/480p 160 lbs
    2002 : 32"/1080p 45 lbs
    2016 : 40"/ 2160p 22 lbs

I will likely own a 50" 8K UHDTV by 2024 and it will weight 9 lbs and NEED to be screwed down - so it doesn't blow away.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Nice get duder. I have 2 CRTs myself, but nothing as good as that.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Devil240Z

Man I had a crt for awhile that was pretty rad. I think it was like 17 inch 4:3 though but probably still weighed 100 pounds. I ran my PS3 on it through a VGA box. SHIT WAS DOPE! But I don't have space that would accommodate something like that these days.

I think mine was actually pretty baller cause the guy I got it from was a video producer/editor for broadcast tv. But I never researched it. He just gave it to me.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

Makes me wish I had the deskspace to set up my old Dell CRT. It's not quite as good as that, but 19" 1600x1200@85Hz (IIRC - might be 60Hz, but I'm pretty sure it is 85Hz) looks great (I remember playing the 360 version of Portal on it back in 2008)

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

CRTs are awesome, especially for older games. Being able to display lower resolutions without any scaling is awesome.

Also good for super fast-paced shooters like CS, especially if you can get it to 85Hz. No lag, no ghosting, just pure cathode rays blasting your eyeballs.

I'd probably still have one hooked up if I still had the space for one.

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my roommate had an old crt tv that I ended up grabbing from him (easier to lug it across the hall than down the stairs XD) and it ended up having svideo. not the best but still waaaaaay better than composite. =) Tubes are still definitely awesome :D!

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By mikemcn

Is the screen flat like the HD CRT Tvs' or is it concave? Can't quite tell from the picture.

I'm impressed you found this but I do not miss those days. Have fun though =) Play all the input lag free games you want!.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.