Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

I need PC audio help

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Hey guys,

I need some PC audio help and I don't really know where to start. I'm not an audio guy so I am hoping to get some input. Running Windows 10.

Issue: my volume level varies considerably from what device I am outputting too. Obviously it varies where the sounds is coming from (web player, youtube, giantbomb, spotify app etc)
    - If I am using my generic speakers around 50 on the volume scale is pretty okay. Will be lower or less depending on the source for some videos.
    - If I plug in and use my USB headphones, often anything over 8 on the volume scale is way too loud. Usually keep it on 6. This is out of a 0 - 100 scale mind you.
    - If I use the built in speaker monitors (don't usually due to quality) about 75 is what I have to put the volume at.

Different games will also cause the volume levels to be all over the place.

So my questions: Is there anyway I can equalize all this or at least make it so I am not having to adjust my volume *all* the time. It actually gets a little annoying and startles my ears a lot depending on what I am using.

Is there a program I can use or something? Do I need to look at different drivers? Any guidance would be really appreciated so I can maybe find some sort of a solution.

I'd rather not buy new equipment but I realize that could be the only option since my speakers and headphones are of the inexpensive variety.

Thanks in advance for your input!

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By OurSin_360

Not that i know of, you could check the driver or software for those usb headphones to see if they have a built in volume, or maybe something on the hardware(volume thing on the side maybe?). Otherwise different speakers will have different levels, I have never used usb headphones but those seem to be giving you the most issue so i would focus research on those.

I still use an external sound card so i can adjust the levels via a knob.

ShadowAUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who uses multiple sound devices constantly I feel your pain, whilst it's never bothered me enough to do anything about it this little tool may be what you're after.

https://www.3appes.com/sound-lock/

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the Playback Devices, Communication Tabs, make sure it set to Do Nothing.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

Did you go to the Windows Control panel and mess with the sound options there?

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Idk, this all sounds like reasonable functioning to me. Different audio devices have different power requirements and output different dB ranges. For example, on my ThinkPad T420 if I'm using the built in speakers I usually have volume maxed out (plus additional boost in VLC), but with headphones something around 20% is plenty loud for me. If your audio devices have their own volume controls this will further complicate matters. On my desktop the Windows volume is set to 50% at all times. I don't need to put the volume knob on my speakers very high, but with my dedicated speaker for voice chatting I need to crank that sucker pretty high to get it where I like it. As far as individual game volumes go it sounds like that you just need to go into the audio settings for the game and adjust it to where you want it.

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This. Windows has a lot of settings buried in the Control Panel. I had headphones that were too quiet and I had to find the right Audio Device setting to turn its volume up (a different volume than from the sound mixer.) I would recommend restarting the PC after changing some settings. I know it sound obvious but i've had to troubleshoot windows for hours before realizing that I did fix it and it just needed a restart.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@sin4profit said:

This. Windows has a lot of settings buried in the Control Panel. I had headphones that were too quiet and I had to find the right Audio Device setting to turn its volume up (a different volume than from the sound mixer.) I would recommend restarting the PC after changing some settings. I know it sound obvious but i've had to troubleshoot windows for hours before realizing that I did fix it and it just needed a restart.

If you right click the volume icon in the task tray and select playback devices, right click on the sound device you want to adjust and select properties, on the enhancement tab is a loudness equalization. Maybe an easy free way to fix what OP was looking for.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.