Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Installed the Win 7 RC. Need application suggestions.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Jambones

Might sound a bit strange as the roles are usually reversed, but I am a Linux user coming to Windows and I need suggestions for the usual apps everyone needs (Antivirus, etc). I'll be doing a lot of writing on the system and will need a decent calendar/contacts/mail app. I would go out and just grab OpenOffice, VLC, and all the usual Linux players, but it's been so long, maybe Windows has some note worthy ones. I'd appriciate any advice.

I'll be getting a modest GFX card in the next couple of days and I also just installed Steam, so any GBers who want to add me as a friend (Or send a gift ;-)), please feel free! My username there is also Jambones. Aside from Sam and Max, Monkey Island (Which are insta-buys), any other games I should be checking out?

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By KamasamaK

Assuming you only want free software, use AVG for anti-virus. I don't use a calendar/contacts/mail app since I do that online, but I know Thunderbird is pretty popular, which you may be familiar with since it's on Linux too. For calendar, you can add Lightning to Thunderbird or use Sunbird. OpenOffice is still the best free office suite I know of. VLC and MPlayer work just as well on Windows. ImgBurn is good for burning discs. I use Pidgin as my IM client.

cdfishman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By cdfishman

and throw in some emulators for good measure.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By DJ_Lae

I use Avast! for my anti-virus, Paint.NET for basic image editing tasks, although I own Office 2007 for my calendar stuff so I can't help you out much there. If it's even a fraction of Outlook 2007's usefulness, though, Outlook Express (if it's still around) might be decent. I think it's part of the Live package, which you can install via Windows Update.

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By darkgoth678

I also own Office 07 but I used Thunderbird, lightning and Oo.org for a fair amount of time so those are execllent. I use AIM for IM, Perhaps you should check if Google Chrome works in the RC because I tested it in th Beta and it didn't work, regardless, awesome browser. GIMP for image editing. Zune software is pretty good for music? at least for my needs. Music editing however; Audacity gets the job done. 

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CoverlessTech

OpenOffice, VLC, FIrefox, Thunderbird(with calender extension), GIMP. The only software I use on Windows that I don't use on linux is Pinnacle Studio 12 and my games, everything else is open source stuff that I use on Linux as well.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Lunarbunny

AVG, OpenOffice are good.

VLC's a decent media player but I mostly use it as a backup for when nothing else has a codec to play a media file I want to play. I use Winamp because of all of its features, but Zune player's interface is actually really good if you don't mind missing features. Considering codecs, you may want to visit http://cccp-project.net/
    I can't say that I've really been much for calendar apps, although I used Thunderbird for mail. I've moved from my soon-to-dissolve Comcast account to Gmail and have been liking it.
    As for instant messaging, I like Digsby a lot. It's multi-protocol, plus you can watch your mail and social networks with it too. It also saves your login info server-side, so you can log in to your digsby account and have everything right back. Obviously this could be a negative for security, if you're concerned about it, but I've only found it useful.
    Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Aeterna

Well, what I use is just the website for Gmail(depending on your e-mail account obviously, if I had to pick an application; thunderbird)

Media Player; Zoom Player (it'll absolutely play anything and automatically install codecs and update them which makes it perfect)
    Music; Winamp or if you have a lot you could go for foobar2000.
    For instant messaging i can recommend Pidgin.im it handles just about every client you could want. 
    Burning; Deepburner, simply does the job.
    PDF etc; Foxit Reader.
    Uninstaller software; Revo Uninstaller

Games you should check out.. where to start!? ;)

rokkis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By rokkis

Email/Cal/Contacts: Gmail and other Google stuff.
    Office: If you don't want to pay for or pirate Microsoft Office, then I guess OpenOffice is the only real alternative. I get Microsoft Office for free so I'm using that.
    Mediaplayer: Media Player Classic Home Cinema + QuickTime Alternative if you need QuickTime.
    Music: Windows Media Player (Win 7 standard one), Spotify and/or Foobar2000
    MSN client: Windows Live Messenger with Live Messenger Plus addon. If you need multi protocol support, Pidgin maybe. Digsby if you want to give your passwords away.
    Browser: Firefox / Google Chrome / Opera
    ISO mounting: PowerISO
    ISO burning: ImgBurn
    Adware/spyware paranoia program: CCleaner
    Antivirus: Dunno. Don't use it.
    Encryption software: TrueCrypt
    File archiver: 7zip

I recommend these applications, but as with linux, there's 320813501375 alternatives out there. You just have to find the ones that work for you.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Diamond

Get VLC so you don't have to mess around with installing codecs.  Usually a perfect application for nearly every video format.  Rarely a AVI or WMV won't play right.  The latest version has a problem scanning in some MPEG files too, just so you know.

I use Winamp for all music.

I like Spyware Search & Destroy for anti-spyware.

I use an oldish free version of WinRAR (3.51) for all compressed files.

Deepburner is a great free DVD/CD burner (use it for making audio CDs or backing up data on DVDs)

PartTimeNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By PartTimeNinja

Open Office, VLC, Avast Antivirus, Pidgin, Spybot Search and Destroy, 7zip, Foxit Reader, and Thunderbird are basically must haves.

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lettuceman44

AVG is bloat, and just not as good anymore.

Get Avast or Avira for antivirus.
    If you have a router, Firewall isn't needed(just use Windows Firewall).
    Openoffice is great as a MS office alternative.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By AndrewB

If you're any sort of smart user, you won't need any antivirus software at all.  However, if you do need something, I would also throw in my hat to AVG, as well. OpenOffice and VLC are still the leading free Office/Video/Music software, in my opinion. You could always try out Winamp or Foobar2000 as music players, but Winamp has become bloatware over the years, and Foobar requires way too much customization to get working with any amount of decent usability.

Steam games are up to you. I'd always suggest Peggle as a casual game (I  love it, my mom loves it; two opposite ends of the gaming spectrum that can enjoy a single game). Try out any of the Half-Life series, and then search around and wait for Steam weekend deals to pick up any other games you might find interesting. Every weekend, Steam has between a 25% and 75% discount on a chosen game. Those are your best times to pick up games new and old alike for a kickass price.

And I'll gladly add you as a friend on Steam, as I have next to none. Hope to see you around.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.