Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

is 3-way 4870X2 corssfire even possible

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By darkgoth678

with the release of the Core i7 X58 boards, i noticed that most boards have 3 card stots, im asking this beacuse i think i heard somewhere that the ATi Catalist Drivers only support 2 way (quad) crossfire with the 4870X2, so if one was to put 3 HD4870X2's in a system, would they work as they should? can they even fit?

agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By agent_lost

I don't know how Crossfire work but I do know this. The i7 intel chipset support both SLI and Crossfire, also Nvidia has the option to do the Tri-SLI setup. You better check with AMD if they support any tri-crossfire setup.

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By darkgoth678

well i know that 3-way cross fire is possible with HD4870's and 4850's... but those are are single core cards. If you try to do tri-cross fire with HD4870X2's you'll technichally have 6-way crossfire, so i want to know if this is even possible, like if the drivers can even handle it, or even make use of 2 mroe GPU's

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zityz
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By crunchUK

only if you have an nvidia celeron gpu with cupholder functionality and 23 cores and an XTS 512 rammerboard and you need the shiniest case on the market - only then can you harness the powah

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By darkgoth678

oh, i don't maybe iw ant to be the first person to get over 100fps in Crysis on Very hig at 2650x1600.

lol im just kindding i jsut wanted know because this set up is so incredebly insane.
    StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By StressedOutCat

Its not possible. ( well more useless for gaming )
    Windows does support that you can render 3 frames in advanced. any more and you end up with interface lag ( unless you have a computer who can see into the future and know what you will do before you do it )
    This is why you see very little difference going from triple crossfire to quad crossfire.. " usually less than 5% increase "

Until they go back and make tile rendering usable with quad crossfire it will be redundant to use more than 3 to 4 gpu's for gaming.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.