Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Is this a good laptop?

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By spacetrucking

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XZMBS2/ - $899 + a Free Xbox 360 (since I've an Amazon Student account).

The specs are:

• Intel Core i7-2630QM @2.0 GHz (2.90 GHz with Turbo Boost; 6 MB L3 cache).
    • 6GB, DDR3, 1333MHz, 2 DIMM,
    • 640GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive (might be 5400 RPM - the page isn't clear; regardless I have a good, existing HDD that I'll likely just replace it with)
    • NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M with 1 GB (with Optimus)

I really need a new laptop and I like this one, mainly because of the CPU. I tend to run Matlab about 3-4 hours/day and and an i7-2xxxQM could really cut down my execution time.

The only real problem is the graphic card. I would've preferred a 540M but 525M is just a slower clocked version with the same GF108 architecture (and still use DDR3 memory). The next step in laptop graphics (560M) seems to be at $1500+ and I might as well upgrade my existing desktop for the extra $600. I'm hoping it will be able to run the following games at 1366x768 with medium settings & 2/4AA:

• StarCraft II
    • DiRT 2 and 3
    • Skyrim
    • and maybe Battlefield 3 (this is a big IF)

It would be awesome if you guys could give me an educated guess on how this would do in terms of gaming? Thanks in advance. Good luck, have Pentiums :)

management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By management

I can play StarCraft 2 on my 15" laptop with a first gen quad core, GeForce 9800m GT graphics card and 4 gigs of RAM with medium settings and a steady 30 fps.

So, that laptop can handle StarCraft quite handily I think. Don't know about the rest though.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

There are some gaming benchmarks for that graphics card here that should give you an idea of how it'll perform. It seems to be a decent, mid-range card that'll run most things on medium settings with a decent framerate.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By UlquioKani

THAT'S MY LAPTOP! 
    It seems good, better than mine anyway

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By mfpantst

Well- it is a laptop.

MaximusArtimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By MaximusArtimus

Seems pretty beefy to me...go for it

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By spacetrucking

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice.

@MaximusArtimus: I just ordered it, before Amazon runs out of stock!

@Management: Yeah, the 525M seems to have very similar raw specs to your 9800m GT (actually yours is a bit faster) but with an updated architecture. Hopefully, this one works just as well as yours!

@MattyFTM: Cheers Matt, I did go through the benchmarks before - they are the first result on google! - but their numbers fluctuate a lot. I still appreciate that you took the time to search it for me!

@UlquioKani: Oh! How do you like it? Is the build quality/screen/speakers okay?

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Meowshi

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.