Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Looking to make a "Potato Masher"-esque build. Need to compare some other builds to make sure

Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

I'm looking for a computer within the $300 - $350 range with same or higher specs presented in those Potato Masher videos so far (e.g. looking for Witcher 3 running at 30 fps on 1080p at high settings, runs GTA V at 60 fps on 1080p at the highest settings). Unfortunately, the parts for the Potato Masher are not as cheap as initially stated in the video introducing the rig right now. Here's a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZR-a35sxLg

Luckily, I've found a few builds for the same price or cheaper on YT and PC Part Picker which look to have similar parts comparable to the Potato Masher (PM) build, but I'm not sure about how they would run compared to the PM.

I also wanted to dabble around with some game recording to archive some moments in game design I liked in specific games for future reference. Note: I'm not looking to stream games, low- or high-end games included.

I have a TV I'm using for a makeshift monitor which runs up to 1080p, so I can generally run most games at a good framerate at that resolution based on the PM specs. I also have a basic keyboard and mouse for use in other games.

For reference, I'll post the PM parts here:

-Case: Cooler Master Wavemaster

-CPU: Intel i5 750

-Cooler: Arctic Silver 11 GT

-Motherboard: Asus P7H55

-Power: EVGA 430w

-Memory: 4gb OCZ DDR3

-HDD: 320gb Samsung Spinpoint

-GPU: MSI GTX 760

Below are some builds for similarly priced builds that I want to know are closed to the PM. All of the builds' prices have been vetted for: if they say "$300" or "$350" they are currently around that price. Some of these builds were initially advertized as costing $350, but the parts are currently dramatically lowered - some down to under $250! Some of the builds only use an AMD APU for all the grpahics processing, but I kept them on here just to get some feedback on them.

-$300 build 1

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MY4dVn

-$300 build 2

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ksvGZL

-$300 build 3

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xCP4kL

-$300 build 4

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/v4MpkL

-$300 build 5

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tyK2cf

Which one should I get for a similar or better PM experience? I'll be buying them during the weekend to get started on the build some time next week.

Ibarguengoytia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Ibarguengoytia

This one: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MY4dVn just increase the HDD, drop an extra 20 bucks on that part and you can get a 750GB -1TB drive.

Your builds with AMD APUs are missing dedicated video cards, if you plan on using the built in GPU I don't think you will be able play those games at those resolutions nor FPS

mavs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By mavs

They're buying parts used. If they're getting the processor for $55 and the case for $10 you're not gonna compete with that.

Some of your builds have low prices because there's no price data on certain parts. As for performance, anything with a 260X or 750Ti will be a step down from a 760. The G3258 is another step down. You're probably going to fall short of your target framerates. But on PC you can always fudge the settings and squint a bit.

Also, make sure you're going dual-channel with the memory (2 sticks at whatever capacity.) It shouldn't be any more expensive than buying 1 larger stick, in fact it should be cheaper.

Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rxanadu

@ibarguengoytia: Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm still looking for something around the $300 - 350 price range stated previously.

Here's my own list (still over the range) for reference to what I tried to do on my own:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RJ82vK

Ibarguengoytia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ibarguengoytia

But... that's within the price range. Here, 343 with a ten dollar mail-in rebate, even if you loose the rebate it will be 353 dollars: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/t8Krbv

Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ibarguengoytia: Just checked the prices recently, and it seems the prices fell significantly for the parts since when I made the reply. Minor concern, but some items don't have shipping rates listed. I'll just have to take those into consideration.

Just to make sure: this build could equal or rival the Potato Masher's results, correct? Either way, thank you so much for getting this build set up for me.

yabbering_yeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rxanadu:

That build couldn't hit the performance you are looking for, the main bottleneck would be the CPU. Performance could be absolutely terrible. That CPU is under 1/2 of the min spec for both of those games, and way slower than the potato masher cpu. But, that's what the price gets you.

mavs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@rxanadu said:

@ibarguengoytia: Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm still looking for something around the $300 - 350 price range stated previously.

Here's my own list (still over the range) for reference to what I tried to do on my own:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RJ82vK

Gaming on an i3 isn't too much to ask, but consistent 60 fps on high in recent games is probably still out of the reach of that build. Seems about the best you could do though, maybe downgrade to a 750Ti to save that last $40 bucks and some stress on that mystery 300W power supply.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Their criteria for the Potato Masher build is INSANE unless you build PCs or get aPC parts given to you.

- Spare parts are legal...oh really
    - You need to have an OS sitting around....oh really
    - No media drive so can't play dvds let alone bluRays...oh for christ sake taht dumb a DVD-WR drive costs $14
    - And how do they prove it will last as long as a console....mmmmmm

It is all well and good to build something that plays games at 1080p at or above 60fps with spare parts - great, fantastic and that super for you. But to dangle that idea in front of people who have never built a PC, do not have a legal OS laying around, can't fix or trouble shoot a used PC parts...that just dishonest. This video is great for people with experience and some parts laying around, but for the average 14-30 y.o. with little experience it is a joke. Yes, I could build a PC just out of shit sitting dusty in my closest, but I'm part of that 0.01% of people who collect old PC parts and has a shelf of Win OS copies that are LEGAL because I'm insane.

For inexperienced people with no spare parts, a proper budget for a Console Buster is $400 to $500 depending in sale prices. Still a great a price, still a Consoles Buster even at $450....but is is an HONEST price. And, if you OWN nothing not even a keyboard and mouse...well its gonna be $500

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By mike

@monkeyking1969: I always felt the same way about the Potato Masher and similar builds. I think that video is quite misleading to say the least. It's a fun exercise in building a PC out of cheap or free components, but I don't think beginners should use that as a benchmark for their own builds.

If you have $300 or $350 to spend, just get a console or wait until you have more money saved up. Alternatively, start putting parts together over time as you find good deals on stuff. Some items like the case, power supply, and optical drive (if you want one) can be bought now and stashed away while you save up more cash for the rest of the machine.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you married to 1080p? A lot of console games are running at 900p 30fps anyway. For 300-350 just go with a console for ease of life because IMO you get what you pay for. Now you could definitely get a decent rig like that for 400-600 depending on what parts you have already, and if you need an OS then that's another 100-200. (Maybe steam OS if your not using the computer for anything other than gaming? although not everything is compatible with that)

miesals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What are the current specs of your current PC? Do you really need to build a PC scratch? If so then I am going to join in with the others and say: "Don't do it."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.