Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Looking to Upgrade GPU on Falcon-NW Desktop

Korosuzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Korosuzo

I've been looking at getting a new PC but realized the only thing that seems to be holding back my current performance is the GPU. I was thinking I should be able to swap this out on my own but I'm not sure if there are any compatibility issues. What would be a good graphics card that would match this PC setup? Appreciate any help or even directions on where to go looking for more assistance. Thanks.

System Details

Chassis

Z77 Talon - Standard Black

Power Supply

1200 Watt Modular

Motherboard

P8Z77-V (Standard)

Processor

Intel® Core™ i7 3770K 3.5GHz

Processor Cooler

Liquid Cooling - Talon

Processor Overclock

No Processor Overclock

Memory

Elite 1866MHz 16GB (2x8GB)

Video Card

GeForce GTX 660Ti (2GB)

Sound Card

Recon3D

Networking

On-Board Ethernet

Hard Drive

Caviar® Black™ - 1TB

Optical Drive

24x DVD Writer

64-Bit Operating System

Windows 7 Ultimate (w/ upgrade)

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

You need to provide more information, like what kind of case it is, the PSU that you have, motherboard, processor...essentially everything.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SSully

You will need to provide more information. Falco-NW is a manufacture; it's like asking "Can I put a new GPU in my Dell?". Either provide a link to the computer you bought, or post your specs. Specifically what motherboard and CPU you are using.

Korosuzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Korosuzo

Sorry, wasn't quick enough turn around on posting specs. Here we go... edited OP.

Korosuzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Two months from now we will get to see Nvidia 1080 and AMD 490. If you can't wait then go with 980Ti.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@korosuzo: It should be fine. The 980 Ti is a little longer than the 660 Ti, so just make sure there is an inch or two of extra clearance in the case.

Korosuzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giant_gamer: I think I know the answer to this but that should push down prices across the rest of the GPUs right?

I want the best value for performance and something that can keep me at high game settings for another 2 years.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@korosuzo: hypothetically, or new similarly priced cars may outperform the 980 Ti, but... it's a crap shoot till we have more information.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Shivoa
    @ballsleon said:

@korosuzo: hypothetically, or new similarly priced cars may outperform the 980 Ti, but... it's a crap shoot till we have more information.

Ye, although there have been scant few generational shift where the new GPUs have arrived on the market that give less performance for the same price. The real question is does the next generation big Pascal come out early (we know they're mass producing the huge chip they'd likely use for such a design, we don't know when they'll be releasing them to consumers) and, probably more importantly, does the smaller design that slots in below it actually end up faster than the old king-sized Maxwell chip. It's not completely unimaginable that the GTX980 (non-Ti, completely different chip) and derivative GTX970 get replaced by a new Pascal design that comes in around the same launch price but both healthily outperform the old 980 Ti. I'm not convinced by that (that even the GTX1070 will be clean sailing over the 980Ti for about $350-400 launch price), partially because I'm not sure what the memory controller is going to be at that $350-550 launch price point** cards. GDDR5 is possibly ok with a wide bus (something where nVidia have plenty of room to expand vs AMD's wide designs) but you'd really like to see them offering HBM2 (which is what the high end Pascal chip uses to get massive bandwidth). Mainly it's because we're pretty confident a GP104 could be made to blow the old GM200 out of the water (see the thread on Pascal and those GFLOPS numbers for GP100: that's a big jump even for FP32 [where most shader code currently runs]) but does nVidia feel they need to (to compete with AMD's Polaris cards - competition is good!) or are they looking to get away with a cheaper second tier (smaller chip) that's a lot further behind the big chip than the GM204 was behind the GM200.

Sometimes we get old GPUs being flushed from inventory with good deals but often buying into the new generation is a good plan (new features in the architecture sometimes matter*, less Watts and so less heat and less noise and less PSU load for the same perf from architecture and die shrinks). At this point we expect someone to announce something within months so if you can wait, now is an excellent time to wait. AMD are also making noises about Polaris (their new design) with windows of the Summer for a full release of the various models so that can't be that far away. As soon as we see the first consumer model announced (we know about the big Pascal chip because of the announcement of it for use in servers, there is no consumer model yet), we should have a much better idea of what sort of performance gain at that price point the companies are targeting (and so can more confidently extrapolate likely other releases).

* eg Pascal chips can often merge two (floating-point: the maths almost all GPU work is based on) FP16 [16-bit] operations into a FP32 [32-bit] unit so any shader maths using FP16 will be up to twice as fast for the same float unit [shader unit] count; Maxwell 2+ gives programmable sampling so the anti-aliasing can be slightly better due to temporal dithering and some games can exploit this to make nice AA but it won't work on earlier chips; GCN 1.1+ has a nice 3D audio hardware block; all the modern designs [Kepler+, GCN 1.0+] can do almost-free video recording as you game.

** Reminder: the GTX980 (non-Ti) launched for $550, even if today you can get the much larger 980 Ti for about $600 and the 980 has come down in price to adapt to that.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Giant_Gamer

@korosuzo: the cards will provide the long awaited move to 14nm which is a big thing for GPUs. Also the new GDDR5X standard that should provide better performance for lower resolutions than 4K. So we can't tell what's the best performance for value right now since we all we have got are rumors and "leaks".

All we can do right now is wait until June 1st.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Shivoa

@giant_gamer: GDDR5X is the rumours but...

Micron claims that it is set to start mass production of the new memory this summer, which hopefully means we're going to be seeing graphics cards featuring GDDR5X before the end of the year. [source]

Ye, I'm not so sure we get this generation of cards starting out on it (are they working on it: definitely, it's a no-brainer to upgrade anything beyond very cost-sensitive models). You can push HBM (and AMD already have with Fury cards at retail) and possibly even see a high end $650+ card using HBM2 that's barely capable of mass production (you charge $999 for those first cards, you'll get enough people to pay and deal with low yields - Samsung have announced HBM2 is in mass production now) but GDDR5X sounds like it's actually going to arrive well after HBM2 (AMD plan to move to HBM2 by the end of the year with Vega but nVidia seem more bullish as they've not got a HBM[1] part to rest on in their current high end slot).

It's good news (cheaper designs with narrower buses, lower power drain for the same bandwidth; space to ramp up the bus width again to hit new highs - it's everything you want for swapping out GDDR5) but is it ready yet? And if it is ready, are we getting 8GB cards with only the same 320GB/s bandwidth as GDDR5 due to a narrower bus and starting out with more conservative frequencies (the saving being in dropping the power loss to the memory)?

HBM is already giving AMD cards with 512GB/s. The nVidia Pascal GPU announcement made clear HBM2 is starting off with at least 720GB/s. What we don't know is where GDDR5X slots into that this Summer. Next year, sure, we see GDDR5X moving up to take that bandwidth tier from HBM[1] (at which point everyone will have transitioned to HBM2 for their high end cards and push beyond that initial bandwidth, aiming for 1 TB/s) without consuming too much power. But this year? Hopefully we see a wide bus and a step up from GDDR5 if it is ready now. I'm not convinced this refresh is for GDDR5X.

Korosuzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was getting antsy to upgrade but I appreciate the information given so I can pump the brakes. My games are by no means unplayable so I can wait awhile to push up those max settings on DIRT and DS3.

Henchman_72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Henchman_72

@shivoa: So from what I heard Nvidia is going with GDDR5 at an effective speed of 8GHz on a 256-bit band for the initial cards. Their Ti cards will probably use GDDR5x later in the cycle. And AMD is doing a split out of the gate, I believe, with the low end having GDDR5 on 128-bit and the high end using GDDR5x on a 256-bit band. And both companies are using HBM2 for the new Titan and the new Fury respectively (both will boast 1TB/s memory bandwidth) . Looks like Nvidia is battling for the 4K market while AMD is trying to spread the field.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Wait for a month or two, see what Nvidia and AMD do with their new mid/mainstream tier silicon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.