Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

My cat stepped on my computer and downloaded Win 10....sigh

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

My cat stepped on my Surface Pro touch screen and 'somehow' initiated the download of Windows 10 from that nag screen. That nag screen pops up once a day, but I just dismiss it. I was holding off out of....well, for no good reason except spite.

Since the damn thing had Win 8 on it already, its not much of a loss.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Theres at least someone with some sense in your household then ;)

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

How is 10 in any way not better than 8? Legitimate question, not trying to be snarky.

ds9143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Time to get a dog.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#5 fisk0  Moderator

@imhungry said:

How is 10 in any way not better than 8? Legitimate question, not trying to be snarky.

I'll say that Windows 8.1 was more comfortable to use on a tablet. It had a lot of useful features mapped to swiping from the corners that for some reason are missing or have been changed in Windows 10. If you own both a Windows 10 desktop and tablet, you also have to disable profile syncing since some system settings that you want to have set one way on a desktop but not on a tablet keeps getting synced without any way to set something as "tablet mode only" or stuff like that. That's the only thing I prefer Windows 8.1 for though, and it's certainly fixable, but Microsoft still haven't done anything about it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@ds9143: The dog would have just broke it, the cat was doing him a favor.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Tried windows 10 hated it went back to Win7 don't even have the option to turn off windows updates or even choose what updates you want. To me Win10 kinda feels like there's trying to make a close platform and don't get me started on Windows store worst than Uplay.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the Microsoft Illuminati man. The cats rule the corporations and they're trying to invade our MINDS!

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Win 10 has felt like an improvement over 8. No more tiles, just an improved desktop experience. Never use cortana but it doesn't matter, not intrusive.

core1065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

MacEG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're Freakazoid?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Follow the money.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny. I bought windows 8 when it came out and used it the entire time. After I installed windows 10 I missed the old start menu and re-enabled it. The old start menu is actually a little slow and cumbersome for me to use. Of course I only use roughly 25 programs on my PC and they aren't all pinned, but it's still so much quicker for me. I also have pro though and get to decide when it's time to install updates.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I really have nothing against Win10, but I find Microsoft pushing it so hard annoying in a funny way. However, I will admit Win 10 does look swanky on my old Surface Pro.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I refuse to do the update on the basis that my current PC works as is.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know how it is on touch devices, but it's fine on a desktop. I like it much better than 8 since the touch screen design made no sense for a desktop and i think 10 has the option to enable it if you need it. Since windows is going to stop supporting their older OS's at some point i believe the upgrade is inevitable or switch to linux or get a mac.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A convenient way to roll back to Windows 7 was, hands down, the best feature of Windows 10 when I tried it on my laptop. Stupid OS disabled my laptop's wireless adapter and locked out all the methods to enable it even after multiple restarts.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno you could have gone the other way and you cat gave you super power instead.

Loading Video...
    Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is Win10 for gaming at the moment? Not too worried about newer titles, but more about having old games work.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@adequatelyprepared: It's fine. My PC also updated from 8.1 to 10 when I didn't want it to. I was initially pretty annoyed, but it works well. That particular machine is only really used for gaming and I have barely noticed a difference since the upgrade. I haven't run into any problems with games not working so far.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still have Windows 7 and I've never had any issues with it. I should probably update at some point while it's still free? Maybe?

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I've had quite some problems with windows 10 (Taskbar locking up, apps not working , windows updates not installing, killer instinct not downloading, two user accounts being broken)

But after i resetted windows 10 for the 3rd time it finally seems to be solid.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

too bad you didn't take a vine of it. That'd go viral..... I wonder was it the paw pad that hit it? or just the mitten? or was it one those stretches that has the claws out? ...... I was just seeing too many cat memes just a moment ago.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I still have Windows 7 and I've never had any issues with it. I should probably update at some point while it's still free? Maybe?

You should probably wait until you have to pay for the upgrade that way you'll know you're getting your moneys worth.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjbsterling: With the roll-back feature, you have next-to no risk in at least trying Windows 10 out.

The roll-back feature was super easy when I had to use it on my laptop. Good thing, too - the weird thing about the problem I had with Windows 10 completely disabling my wi-fi adapter is that it decided to do it a couple of weeks after I had upgraded to Windows 10. It worked fine until it decided that my wifi adapter was public enemy number one.

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
    thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

The only issue I've had with W10 on my Surface Pro is Chrome randomly crashing. It'll do it once when I try to watch a video here but then it'll be totally fine for a week. Then the cycle repeats.

Also, I would like a photo of the offending feline.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@ballsleon: I have tried to use Cortana, but Bing so rarely gives me what I want.

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deepcovergecko

People buy gaming PCs and then use Windows 7 instead of 10, even though 8 and 10 have pretty nice performance gains across the board. Why would you gimp yourself?

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BallsLeon

@veektarius: I hear Bing can get you what you *want* if you know what I'm saying ;-}

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a cat-astrophe!

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is Win10 for gaming at the moment? Not too worried about newer titles, but more about having old games work.

Every older game I've run has run flawlessly. I initially thought I was fucked when I tried to play KOTOR 2 on my Windows 10 PC and during cutscenes the screen would flicker really fast. But then I tried the game on Windows 7 and it did the same thing. Maybe it's my monitor? I don't know.

Yeah, honestly, every game I've played has typically given me performances on-par or slightly better than Windows 7.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The prompts are driving me crazy and they get turned back on every update so there's not really a point in going in and disabling them. I'll probably install it over the summer sometime. I really dislike the start menu in Windows 10 though. The Windows 7 start menu is pretty much the only thing I want out of a start menu. I wonder if there's a way to change it in 10.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I accidentally queued mine to install, but managed to delay it again when the process actually began.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was putting off the update for the longest time but seriously, Win10 is A-ok, better than that even. There is seriously no reason not to get it.

BluPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Coming from somebody who recently built a new computer and finally got rid of Vista from his ancient machine: I have no idea what you are talking about, Windows 10 is great.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, there's no pussyfooting around it, you have it now, I hope it doesn't cause a catastrophic event, you are going to have to paw through it and report back to us, now that it's upgraded though it's more valuable, I hope your house is well protected against cat burglars, I'd feel so bad for you if you lost it right now, I mean what bad luck, you would have to be kitten me!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.