Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Need a new laptop for work+light gaming

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Strangestories

Hey all. I'm in the market for a new laptop! I've had my current one for 5 years now and it's time to get a new one. A few things to note:

- My price range is between $300-$450. Pretty low but the last time I got a laptop I spent $1100 for a gaming one and was disappointed.

- It can't be too big or heavy. I'm going to be taking it with me to Israel this summer for archaeological work.

- I mostly need it for work but I'd of course love to be able to play some older and indie games on it. Think Medieval 2: Total War as a benchmark.

- Probably a 256GB hard drive is the minimum size.

Any suggestions would be amazing! I've already looked at laptops on newegg and amazon but I'd like an outside perspective.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By EthanielRain

I picked up an HP Stream 14 for work and am pretty happy with it. I think you have to slap an SD card in it for memory and I haven't really tried any games on it, but I've beat the crap out of it and it still runs/looks good for everything I need.

It was ~200 + tax. My last $1100+ laptop was also disappointing.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Strangestories

I'll keep it in mind. I'm leaning towards dropping the extra $100 for this: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-E5-575G-53VG-15-6-Inch-Windows/dp/B01DT4A2R4

It's better than my current laptop but without the huge price tag.

Avatar image for octopusrocketmark
    Octopusrocketmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll keep it in mind. I'm leaning towards dropping the extra $100 for this: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-E5-575G-53VG-15-6-Inch-Windows/dp/B01DT4A2R4

It's better than my current laptop but without the huge price tag.

I had that laptop! For your purposes, it would work really well. It ran every indie game with no issue and it even ran last-gen games such as Dishonored at around 30fps. I got a ton of usage out of that thing.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@octopusrocketmark: Did it feel flimsy? I'm also considering one of Lenovo's sturdy laptops because I'll need to be taking it with me to other countries.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.