Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

PC question, need some input.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 52

#1  Edited By tearhead

Well I have some extra money ($100 to be exact), and I'm thinking getting something for a pc I'm gonna get. Now here are my options:

• 17.0" diagonal WSXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Infinity Display (1680 x 1050) - $50 [upgrade from a 17.0" diagonal WSXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1680 x 1050)]
    • 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) - $50 [upgrade from a 3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)]
    • 500GB 5400RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (250GB x 2) - $50 [upgrade from a 320GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (160GB x 2)]
    • HDTV Hybrid Tuner - $100

So what do you guys think?

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Demilich

I'd go with the HDD. You can never have too much space. Nobody uses 17" monitors anymore, and if you've got a 32bit OS 4GB of RAM is redundant as it only reads around 3. The TV tuner is an option too if you really want, but I'd go for the HDD.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Hamz
    Demilich said:
    "I'd go with the HDD. You can never have too much space. Nobody uses 17" monitors anymore, and if you've got a 32bit OS 4GB of RAM is redundant as it only reads around 3. The TV tuner is an option too if you really want, but I'd go for the HDD."
    I sadly am using a 17" monitor, mainly due to the lack of desk space, but there are a small minority of us 17" monitor users!

And yes the HDD looks to be the best option as you can't ever have too much storage space and its always good to have a backup of your current files etc on another HDD instead of things like discs or memory sticks since they can be lost, broken or otherwise limited in the size of storage space they have available.
    tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By tearhead

Well technically I could get the HDD AND another that is $50, like the ram. It's 17' because it's a laptop. It does have a 64bit OS, and the tuner is just there, but i guess i could get that later on.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Hamz

In all honesty very few games are utilising 4GB of Ram and the only real reason to get more than 2 or 3 GB is to try and "future proof" your current system. But honestly its pointless trying to future proof a PC when the market at the moment is constantly evolving and changing. Your better off going for something that will actually provide an immediate benefit to you and if you only spend $50 on a new HDD you still have $50 to go and buy a game with?

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Demilich

Waitwhat, you want to buy this stuff for a laptop...?

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tearhead
    Demilich said:
    "Waitwhat, you want to buy this stuff for a laptop...?"
    Yea, long story. Go read my other forum topics.
    VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By VACkillers

probably the harddrive then if its for a laptop

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By xruntime

Depends if you use your hard drive. I don't know what you would do with 250 GB, let alone 500...I only use 10 GB on my 80 GB hard drive (I don't keep games installed that I dont play regularly).

If the display gives any advantages I'd go with that. The TV Tuner card depends on whether you are going to use it, and the ram is more or less worthless.

pure_guava_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By pure_guava_76
    Get the display.. nothing more important on a gamers pc than the display and the graphics card!
    Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Psynapse

The 500gb hard drive is only 5400rpm..
    4gb Ram would only be useful on Vista 64bit or XP 64bit (correct me if i'm wrong with this)
    The monitor is only 17"... Spend money on something more substatial if you can :P
    TV Tuner??.. I duno...

Personally i'd go with a better monitor...

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tearhead
    Psynapse said:
    "The 500gb hard drive is only 5400rpm.."
    Yea, but isn't that better than a 320gb at 7200rpm?
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By xruntime
    Tearhead said:
    "Psynapse said:
    "The 500gb hard drive is only 5400rpm.."
    Yea, but isn't that better than a 320gb at 7200rpm?"
    Uh...no, you want more RPM >_>

Display, I'm telling ya...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.