Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Possibly a silly question

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I currently have an opportunity to grab a Corsair H50 water cooler for really cheap, but I need to act fast. 

Could this be used to just cool a graphics card? namely a GTX 275? 

It comes with mounting brackets for LGA 775 and 1336. I was thinking of using some kind of mounting bracket for my GPU and cooling it with the H50.

ToxikPandaKoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By ToxikPandaKoi

O: I wish I knew what you were talking about so I could answer your question. D:

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @ToxikPandaKoi said:
    " O: I wish I knew what you were talking about so I could answer your question. D: "
    VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By VoshiNova

you could easily water cool that card, but it wouldn't do anything unless you are overclocking.

Edit: Actually, you should invest in that anyway so that if you need to OC later on, you'd be able to keep a stable temperature.

n00bosaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By n00bosaurusRex

I assume you're wanting to get rid of the CPU cooler part of it and plug it into whatever bracket you can find for your GPU instead.  Potentially a cool idea I think.  The main worry I would have is that you couldn't get the tubes off of the CPU cooler without damaging it.  I don't really know much about water cooling to be honest, I'm looking to get into with my next gaming rig.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I'm mainly aiming just to quite my system down, and the GPU tends to be the loudest component.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @ToxikPandaKoi: LGA 1336 is basically a type of cpu, just like a LGA 1156 cpu type. I suppose that's what the cooler does.  

To the op, I have no idea about it, better ask geno, he probally has water cooling, i'm just using fans. Why not just get that gtx275 cooler with fans and stuff you asked about before, I have a cooler on my gpu.
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @ToxikPandaKoi: LGA 1336 is basically a type of cpu, just like a LGA 1156 cpu type. I suppose that's what the cooler does.   To the op, I have no idea about it, better ask geno, he probally has water cooling, i'm just using fans. Why not just get that gtx275 cooler with fans and stuff you asked about before, I have a cooler on my gpu. "
    Yeah but like I said, I can currently get the H50 for a good price. The thing is though, I have a Cooler Master V10 cooling my CPU which is super quiet. So the H50 is kinda pointless to me UNLESS I can get it to cool my GPU by itself.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Geno

I'm quite certain that CPU coolers are incompatible with GPUs (I've never actually tried to put one on the other). Even if it did work, jury-rigging it would probably not be worth the effort. Unless you're overclocking, there's really no need to liquid cool a graphics card anyway. 

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Only a fermi gpu should be water cooled. I think you can buy a water block attachment for it, however I don't use this myself so I wouldn't have the details. Still for the water cooling, if you want to overclock your gpu to near 4.0ghz, maybe it's good to use, or else just forget about it. That's my opinion.   

Are you still getting that gpu cooler that's a heatsink and three fans like i'm using? that's cheaper and probally a better solution. If your not afraid to take off the heatsink for your gpu that is.

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11  Edited By mrhankey
    @Geno said:
    " I'm quite certain that CPU coolers are incompatible with GPUs (I've never actually tried to put one on the other). Even if it did work, jury-rigging it would probably not be worth the effort. Unless you're overclocking, there's really no need to liquid cool a graphics card anyway.  "
    Avatar image for deactivated-59fb4bc479490
    deactivated-59fb4bc479490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

the answer is NO! 

you need a far better cooler then an h50 to cool a video card.  you dont cool just the GPU chip, there are other things that liquid coolers integrate into cooling as well (memory chips, stream processors, etc.)
    Avatar image for organicalistic_
    Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Organicalistic_
    @Fragstoff said:
    " silly question, bro "
    lol
    fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fwylo
    @Fragstoff said:
    " silly question, bro "
    Useless bump, bro.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.