Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

RAM Prices sky-rocketed

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By VACkillers

Has anyone else noticed this? does anyone know exactly why RAM sticks are so expensive now, they just shot up more $$ in the past week. 16GB you could get for 89$ for the usual high quality brands like Corsiar/Gskill/Kingston ect around xmas and of course after christman you'd expect prices to go back to original pricing after all the sales and what not which was around 109$. Try getting a 16GB pair for under $120 now. Was around 117 for gskill ripjaws and corsair vengence, now upto 125$ so does anyone know what exactly is causing this massive spike in RAM pricing? Even 8GB is like 70$ now.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

It was noticed a couple of months ago on the /r/BuildaPC subreddit, with statistical data from PCPartPicker to confirm. When I built my PC back in February 2012 I got my 4GBX2 G.SKILL DDR3 1600MHz for only $45. The same RAM now costs ~$65.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By jay_ray

Maybe China is limiting production to artificially increase prices because China Don't Care

P.S. I actually have no idea.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think one of the major manufacturers went under. Plus, a lot of memory makers are focusing on making RAM for mobile devices, so supply for traditional dekstop RAM is not as high as it was previously.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Animasta

Maybe people are just excited about Daft Punk?

dfsvegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By dfsvegas

Wasn't there concerns that the Japanese Tsuanami from a few years ago would cause certain PC parts (RAM being one of them) to go up in price right about now? Makes sense, If there were manufacturers that were effected and if there was a gap in production, for us to just be seeing the effects now, right?

Somebody, please, correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like this was a story line at the time. Obviously a small one, since people were in crisis and such, but I do vaguely remember hearing that. Like, from Tom Merritt at Twit or something.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

@shinboy630: That's what I've heard too. Seems reasonable enough.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By korwin

There has been a shift in production priority from Desktop memory to SODIMM and Mobile device memory, as such there's less to go around.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dfsvegas: Pretty sure that was the Thailand flood

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

I can get 16GB of ram for $120? That's insane!

I remember when a couple of MBs was hundreds of dollars.You kids are spoiled

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@animasta said:

Maybe people are just excited about Daft Punk?

I like dis ansa

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Devildoll

Yeah this has been going on for quite a while

@mildmolasses please dont look at the harddrive prices then, you might get a heart attack, old man ;)

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mildmolasses said:

I can get 16GB of ram for $120? That's insane!

I remember when a couple of MBs was hundreds of dollars.You kids are spoiled

I purchased 8 GB of RAM for $45 about a year and a half ago, and since then prices on that same RAM have increased by 60%. That's not supposed to happen. If anything they should have decreased by that much. :p

@dfsvegas said:

Wasn't there concerns that the Japanese Tsuanami from a few years ago would cause certain PC parts (RAM being one of them) to go up in price right about now? Makes sense, If there were manufacturers that were effected and if there was a gap in production, for us to just be seeing the effects now, right?

Somebody, please, correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like this was a story line at the time. Obviously a small one, since people were in crisis and such, but I do vaguely remember hearing that. Like, from Tom Merritt at Twit or something.

That would be referring to the Thailand floods of 2011. Much of the world's hard drive manufacturing occurs there, and the floods wiped a lot of that out.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

You buy ram once... I don't see the problem with current prices.

HerpDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sins_of_mosin: I don't do this personally, but a lot of people build new PCs every 6 to 12 months.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@herpderp said:

@sins_of_mosin: I don't do this personally, but a lot of people build new PCs every 6 to 12 months.

That would take a load of gravity capitalizing. Where are they gonna get the money?

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh noooooo... I've put off buying ram for so long, maybe I missed my chance when they were stupid cheap....

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

China has been going through a spate of economic reforms in order to bolster the transition of more of the country's population into the middle class. A couple large corporations which for years have been able to get away with extremely low wages and poor conditions are starting to be taken to task over these and other issues.

These coupled with the more immediate realization of the tsunami predictions are probably what is driving prices up right now.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ShaggE

On one hand, that's still not that bad considering ye olden days.

On the other, goddammit. I'm going to be buying 8 gigs soon, and I could have bought them a month ago when I started piecemealing my new PC.

Avatar image for beyond_the_infinite
    Beyond_the_infinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

hyperbole much?

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By VACkillers

I was marely asking this question because I planed on building a machine in feburary this year, so naturally I had been looking into all kinds of hardware from around christmas onwards, and with life, and certain delays I have been unable to build it yet. I've been keeping tabs of pricing and such because I'm like "okay getting new PC this month" and so on and so on, delay after delay lol.... but still keeping tabs on the pricing of all the hardware I want, and the RAM has constantly been increasing, at the rate its going it'll hit 150$ for 16GB soon which is more then double what it was 6 months ago. The flooding was mostly harddrives, thats what it took such a long time for simple 1TB harddrives to drop under 100$. The most common sense was what was mentioned supply vs demand, with everything going mobile but I didn't know if anyone on here had any different or concrete news as to exactly why the RAM isn't stabilizing in price and jumping 5-7$ every two weeks or so. Thanks for the replies peeps.

As for the motherboard costing several 100 few years ago, errrr... mobo's still do!! if you want a high performance one, and you could still buy a mobo for under 100 6 yrs ago as is whats in my current old build. Not over hyping this, I just would like to know what is causing the massive price spike? if it'll stabilize any time soon? how much do we expect it to reach before it levels out? I'm not spoiled, just on an extremely tight budget and god knows when I would be able to buy a new PC again so looking for it to last!!! and I do a lot of video rendering/encoding and photoshop so that is why 8GB isn't enough for me or I would obviously just go with a simply 8GB stick.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, i thought ram was looking a lot more expensive than i remembered. I was gonna get some new ram, but not at these prices.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@troll93: You know..joking aside that might be a reason for the increase

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I recall paying $400 for 256M (or 512M?) back in the early 90s. There is cycle on most hardware pricing. If PC sales are down, they won't manufacturer as much, means the cost will go up. I think there has been a lag in PC sales. Could also be more competition from other countries for silicon resources to build RAM, etc, making the prices go up. Lastly: inflation. Interest rates are rumored to be going up, making our cash worth less than it is currently.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.