Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Rate this PC.

j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By j_drace

You forgot the fan.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Believe it or not two dual gpu cards doesn't scale that well. If you are getting 100 frames per second with one dual gpu card for example, your not getting 200 with the other one. Just to let you know sli scales horribly, otherwise it looks like a very powerful pc. 

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Yuke, you say money is no object yet you keep going to US sites which A. don't ship to Australia and B. don't warranty the products when purchased overseas.  You also say you don;'t want to be build the PC yourself, so why are you looking up parts prices?  When I said call either CPL or MSY I did you call them?  How competitive were they on price?  What kind of warranty did you ask for?  You're wasting your time asking for US sold product, you will get no warranty support.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Yukoei
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " Yuke, you say money is no object yet you keep going to US sites which A. don't ship to Australia and B. don't warranty the products when purchased overseas.  You also say you don;'t want to be build the PC yourself, so why are you looking up parts prices?  When I said call either CPL or MSY I did you call them?  How competitive were they on price?  What kind of warranty did you ask for?  You're wasting your time asking for US sold product, you will get no warranty support. "
    I changed my mind about building one. And CPL and MSY arent as cheap as Newegg and dont have some of those products that I listed. They dont ship to Australia but I am going to ship to a family member then get them to ship to me.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Yukoei
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " Yuke, you say money is no object yet you keep going to US sites which A. don't ship to Australia and B. don't warranty the products when purchased overseas.  You also say you don;'t want to be build the PC yourself, so why are you looking up parts prices?  When I said call either CPL or MSY I did you call them?  How competitive were they on price?  What kind of warranty did you ask for?  You're wasting your time asking for US sold product, you will get no warranty support. "
    I changed my mind about building one. And CPL and MSY arent as cheap as Newegg and dont have some of those products that I listed. They dont ship to Australia but I am going to ship to a family member then get them to ship to me.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Geno
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

Believe it or not two dual gpu cards doesn't scale that well. If you are getting 100 frames per second with one dual gpu card for example, your not getting 200 with the other one. Just to let you know sli scales horribly, otherwise it looks like a very powerful pc. 

"
    SLI actually scales quite well in a dual gpu setup, giving you +80-90% performance over a single card (compared to theoretical +100%). GTX 295, which is literally just GTX 260 SLI, gets pretty much exactly double the performance of a single GTX 260. In turn, GTX 275 SLI outperforms both GTX 295 and GTX 260 SLI (to illustrate my point). It's only in triple and quad setups where it doesn't scale as good.  

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-cards-charts-2009-high-quality/Far-Cry-2,1614.html
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Yukoei
    @Geno said:
    " @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

"
    SLI actually scales quite well in a dual gpu setup, giving you +80-90% performance over a single card (compared to theoretical +100%). GTX 295, which is literally just GTX 260 SLI, gets pretty much exactly double the performance of a single GTX 260. In turn, GTX 275 SLI outperforms both GTX 295 and GTX 260 SLI (to illustrate my point). It's only in triple and quad setups where it doesn't scale as good.  

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-cards-charts-2009-high-quality/Far-Cry-2,1614.html "

So how is the PC, any compatibility issues? Am I missing anything? Is the price good?
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Geno
    @Yukoei: You may want to consider linking your links. Not sure what browser you're using but chrome does it automatically. 
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Yukoei
    @Geno said:
    " @Yukoei: You may want to consider linking your links. Not sure what browser you're using but chrome does it automatically.  "
    Done and done!
    Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Tiwi

I would not buy that comp.
     it's better to buy the stuffz that's a little less new. 
     f.ex. buy the most powerful quad that was sold before I7. and buy one video card, instead of two. also, what are you going to do with 6 gigs of ram? 
    tell me WHERE 6 GIGS OF RAM IS NECESSARY?!?! are you going to calculate huge numbers and graphs? I'm thinking no, get 4 gigs instead. 
    alas i can not change your mind, at least promise me this; you will not buy a blue ray player. promise me. that shit is so unnecessary. 

and this is NOT the time to by a new pc anyway, since the new things tend to come out after christmas, reducing prices of all the stuffz you want to buy.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Geno

As a whole, I would say anyone buying PC's should consider waiting until Nvidia announces its next line in about the next two months. They're using a new architecture for the first time in years and there has been speculation of massive performance gains. But if you're totally dedicated to getting one now, 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202&cm_re=920-_-19-115-202-_-Product  

This instead of the 960. Same performance (as of yet there's no games that can fully take advantage of this yet, aside from maybe GTAIV), more overclockability, more stable as well from what I hear. Also comes with stock CPU fan, which your choice does not (very important).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009     

This instead of the 1200W. It is a far more established product, and you don't need anything more than 850W even for Tri-SLI.  

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284  

Western Digital is a much better brand. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145224  

This memory instead. More expensive, but Corsair is a better company and from the looks of it this is much better quality.  

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131365 

Choice of motherboards is up to you, but I would get this. It's designed to support Crossfire as well, and it's a fairly established product used by many benchmarkers.  

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Yukoei
    @Geno said:

" As a whole, I would say anyone buying PC's should consider waiting until Nvidia announces its next line in about the next two months. They're using a new architecture for the first time in years and there has been speculation of massive performance gains. But if you're totally dedicated to getting one now, 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202&cm_re=920-_-19-115-202-_-Product  

This instead of the 960. Same performance (as of yet there's no games that can fully take advantage of this yet, aside from maybe GTAIV), more overclockability, more stable as well from what I hear. Also comes with stock CPU fan, which your choice does not (very important).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009     

This instead of the 1200W. It is a far more established product, and you don't need anything more than 850W even for Tri-SLI.  

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284  

Western Digital is a much better brand. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145224  

This memory instead. More expensive, but Corsair is a better company and from the looks of it this is much better quality.  

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131365  Choice of motherboards is up to you, but I would get this. It's designed to support Crossfire as well, and it's a fairly established product used by most benchmarkers.   "

But wouldnt there new cards be like...really fucking expensive!? Do you think the prices on Newegg will go down once they are announced?

Oh and 920 only runs at 2.66GHz how is that the same is the 960?
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By SeriouslyNow

What are you gonna do if the parts have issues?  How will you handle warranty?  I thought you said price wasn't an issue?  Also, make sure that the psu is auto switching or has a switch to go from 110V (US) to 240v (AU), otherwise it won't work or could blow up.

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jiggah
    @Yukoei: 

They are the same CPU architecture.  The only real difference is that in the 920, the multipliers has been locked at a lower speed.  For example, if you get the Extreme Edition of the i7, all the multipliers come clocked higher and are unlocked meaning better overclocking potential.  At half the price, you won't notice the difference in the gaming performance.

I'd say take the difference for some of the parts as recommended by Geno and invest in a better heatsink for the 920 and overclock it.
    TyphoonSwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TyphoonSwell

I don't wanna click on anything... :(

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Geno
    @Yukoei: Considering you're already spending $500+ on a graphics card, they don't get much more expensive than that lol. The very very newest and greatest ones cost at most $700, and if nvidia releases one in that range that is twice as good as the GTX 295 in the next couple of months, you're going to feel boned. At the very least when they release it, current cards such as the GTX 295 will go down in price by a lot, especially if they're both better performance and value. So if I were you, I would wait. That, or buy a ~200 card (will play most games at high-max graphics) to tide you over, then get one of the new nvidia cards 6-8 months after release after they've gone down in price about 200-300 dollars, thus saving you the difference. 
    L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By L33tfella_H

2,000 for that?

I'm of the opinion that if you buy a PC (just the Actual PC part) that costs over 1000$, it'd be a bit too much. Even if you call it future proofing, you'd be spending a ridiculous amount of money for 6 extra months or so before you'd have to upgrade anyway.

If i was you, i'd grab one of the new ATi cards like the 5770 for like 150$, and get an i7-920 instead of that 960, cause the bang/buck ratio will matter later on to you. Really depends on what you're planning to do with that PC, if you're gonna be heavy rendering crap, then i suppose it'd be necessary to get that extra bit of juice out of it. But yea, i'd recommend you replace the CPU and GPU with these choices.

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66 GHz
    DIAMOND 5770PE51G Radeon HD 5770

I'm not 100% sure about the quality of that 5770, but for 150$, it's gonna keep you running for a while with what it's packing. You save 350$ off the GPU alone, which i guarantee that 295 isn't worth that extra money. And for the CPU, that's another 300$ shaved off, and i don't think that you'll be feeling that missing 600MHz of performance (anything over 2 cores isn't super optimized at this point anyway).

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Geno: Yeah I guess your right, i've been looking over these benchmarks http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-295,2123-4.html and it seems like newer nvidia cards scales really well. I guess I was thinking of the old days when I used to have a 9800GX2 and how it scales horribly, giving you only like a 50% difference or so. Well these benchmarks are based on a overclock of 4.0Ghz I think of an i7 cpu where there are no bottlenecks. Tomshardware.com always has higher benchmarks than most ppl because of that and it might be necessary.

Still to the op, geno is right wait until the new fermi cards and always read benchmarks from the site I linked to. Look it's your money and it's your decision, whatever you go with, your going to get really good results. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.