Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Scammers and Idiots on Steam: A double-decker sandwich of crap

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ELBUMBLERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ELBUMBLERO

Hey, have any of you ever been messaged by one of your friends on a friendslist on Steam, asking you to TAKE A LOOK AT THIS WEBSITE WHERE YOU CAN GET FREE STEAM GAMES AT www.obviouslynotfreesteamgames.com? And did you actually click on it?

Did you actually click on that fucking web address? Did you realize that you were not actually getting free Steam games like your "friend" promised, but instead a virus that propogated and sent itself through your friendslist?

If so, haha, sucks to be you. You fell for it, and now you're a true blue retard, easily duped into giving up your Counter-Strike K/D ratio because you thought there were free Steam games at the other end of the gloryhole. Congratulations on failing a fucking IQ test.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By OmegaPirate

haha - while the tone of this thread is probably gonna get some hate - i totally agree with the content, It's unbelievable how dumb some people can be !

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jack268

Someone linked "Nvidiasteampowered.com" or some shit like that. I clicked even though I know it was a scam (Yes, I have an antivirus program) just to see how hilariously bad it was at replicating the real steampowered website.

Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Goldanas

I one time got sent one that tried to imitate a steam profile. It ended with a .co.ez, so obviously something was up. 

I feel bad for people who click on that stuff thinking they can trust their friends. The Internet is a deceptive beast indeed. She'll make poor, unaccustomed souls feel comfortable in their own virtual space, and then she'll STAB THEM RIGHT IN THE GODDAMN BACK OH GOD WHY INTERNET WHY I LOVED YOU

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ajamafalous

My brother got one that was like "Hey see that post you made the forums on funny! forumsteampowered.tk/(all the php stuff)" and clicked it like an idiot. Got his account phished. Like an idiot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I never got a message but I also wouldn't be retarded enough to click something so obvious, it's just like the idiots who click every little thing they see on facebook and wonder why they have a virus.

HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HereAllDay

Dude this is hilarious on Live Messenger, I get messages from my guy friends saying, "hey check out my WILD pics from the party last night, do i look hot? *link*", always cracks me up.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Fallen189

Aren't you a peach

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Azteck

Might wanna tone down the, you know, asshole-ish attitude your post sounds like.

But yeah, clicking stuff like that and actually installing shit is kind of stupid.

AdvanceStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AdvanceStrat

I've started getting emails lately that are about the WoW account I have getting suspended or hijacked or whatever, and needing to verify information. 

The best part is I don't even play WoW.  Awesome.
    McPaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By McPaper

I doub't you can get viruses by just visiting websites. Most of those sites get passwords by phishing with a fake login.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By JP_Russell

I always examine links in Steam chat before I copy and paste them, and question my friends about what they're linking me if they don't explain it themselves, unless it's something obvious like a standard Youtube URL.

ELBUMBLERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ELBUMBLERO
    @Fallen189 said:
    " Aren't you a peach "
    Yeah I fucking am.

@Azteck said:
    " Might wanna tone down the, you know, asshole-ish attitude your post sounds like.  But yeah, clicking stuff like that and actually installing shit is kind of stupid. "
    Might wanna tone down the, you know, old man-ish method of thinking your post sounds like. 

@JP_Russell said:
    "

I always examine links in Steam chat before I copy and paste them, and question my friends about what they're linking me if they don't explain it themselves, unless it's something obvious like a standard Youtube URL.

"
    I bet you're fun at parties. 

@McPaper said:
    " I doub't you can get viruses by just visiting websites. Most of those sites get passwords by phishing with a fake login. "
    Hurray, you don't pay attention to things!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.