Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Sound system for PC gaming?

mortface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mortface

A little while ago I built a sweet gaming rig, got a sweet gaming monitor, a sweet gaming keyboard and a sweet gaming mouse. There's just one thing missing! A sweet gaming sound system! My rubbish PC speakers are really letting the team down. Any recommendations for a sound system good for PC gaming? Is it worth setting up some surround sound setup? In my mind, I imagine Amnesia would be even more terrifying with surround sound but do games ever support that?

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By onarum

go with surround gaming headphones instead, way better.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bybeach

@onarum said:

Dependiing on your lifestyle, this may be true. personally I have a Logitech 5:1 that was their best around 5-7 years ago, and a 4:1 klipsch that sounds amazingly good without the center even. In the livingroom I use my home theator...

Moaz13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Moaz13

Also, make sure you have a good sound card. The ASUS Xonar DG Is the greatest for Price/Performance, and is an amazing card.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By korwin

@onarum said:

Surround headphones are the best con companies have pulled off in a long time, pure snake oil. A good set of Stereo can's with a properly balanced sound stage is all you need to get a surround feeling.

As far as speakers go, there's nothing really special out there in the "PC speakers" department. You're far better simply hooking into a proper HT receiver with some decent speakers wired up :P

This of course... is not a cheap option.

d0m3l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By d0m3l

really go with steelseries headset. they are sooooooo comfortable. Even if you wear glasses they won't hurt your ears (as it is in case with most headsets)

mortface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mortface

My girlfriend likes to watch me play games, so headsets are not really an option. I already have a fairly nice pair of Sennheiser wireless headphones, but I don't really use them much. I'd like a sound system that is good for movies and games, but my primary interest is games.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

mortface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mortface
    Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jrinswand

I agree with the people who say to get a nice pair of headphones. I've been rocking Logitech G35s for years and the quality of them consistently surprises me. I really like having the volume knob right there on the outside of the ear cup.

Cuban_Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Cuban_Legend

@onarum: I have a set of Tritton AX Pro's, they are a 5.1 surround sound headset with a mic. They have inline controls for all the (front, rear, center, sub) channels. they have both PC Analog 3.5mm jack outputs and Optical SPIDF, they support Dolby Digital Decoding from your Xbox 360 or PS3, as well as any HT Surround Sounds receiver.

If you used the mic on the ps3 or 360 they have you covered as well with inputs for those so you can hear the voice chat through a separate channel that you can modulate audio levels with. This set Lasted me a long time and I've had them since 2009 or so.

Samael2138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Samael2138

I'll probably be using a set of bi-amped studio monitors for all my music recording play back, and I suppose they'll sound pretty good for games as well. If I just have to have "surround" sound, I'll just go with a good headset.

@Korwin said:

@onarum said:

Surround headphones are the best con companies have pulled off in a long time, pure snake oil. A good set of Stereo can's with a properly balanced sound stage is all you need to get a surround feeling.

Exactly! You'd be surprised how much of a "surround sound" effect you can get from good stereo headphones. Its all in the way things are panned through the L-R channels. You use the same thing in music production. Ever heard a drum fill that sounds like your sitting behind the drum kit? That's all panning across a stereo field. Its hard for your ears to tell the difference when the drivers are a few centimeters from your ear

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By amafi

I got a Corsair SP2500 2.1 set for cheap and they're surprisingly good.

Not high fidelity or anything, but then it doesn't cost hifi money either.

Seeing as I mostly listen to pretty heavily compressed music (spotify) and play games on them, I think the quality:cost ratio is pretty fantastic.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Sooty

Decent stereo headphones + Dolby Headphone is a fantastic combo.

Personally I have HD595s (so the above setup) at the desk with a 5.1 Onkyo system/amp on the side for when I feel like using my TV for PC gaming, since I have my PC hooked up via HDMI to my TV. Otherwise my TV and speakers are usually used for watching TV, films or of course consoles. It's really the best of both worlds if you have the space for it/your PC is in the same room as a TV.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By clstirens
    mortface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mortface

Wow! And they're not even that expensive either. I might have to get those as well.

But for my setup, I play PC games with my girlfriend and so I need a good speaker system in addition to headphones.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@mortface: @mortface said:

My girlfriend likes to watch me play games, so headsets are not really an option.

Damn. Does she have a sister? My girlfriend projectile vomits if I even breath the word game. I would have said headsets all the way otherwise, truly the best way to play games.

I use these when I don't use my headphones: http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Spot-2-1-Speaker-System/dp/B000M39268. Awesome because there's a subwoofer too. No separate purchase required.

Had them for years and they work perfectly. As with all speakers some tuning required. Good luck!

xxxlynchxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By xxxlynchxxx

I have a set of Klipsch ProMedia somethin' somethin's. It's a smallish 4.1 system. I've had them for years (10+), they sound great at lower and higher volumes. I've had a good experience with them, and would not hesitate to recommend them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.