Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Streaming from PC to HDTV

DFL017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Basically, I want to stream from my gaming computer to play games on my tv without running a long hdmi cable through my house. I have a wireless xbox controller and another pc with a decent graphics card that could be hooked up to my tv while my gaming pc stays in my bedroom. Is there any easy way to do this? I heard this might be possible with the Steam OS?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

You don't need Steam OS just Steam on both computers. If Steam detects two computers with Steam on the same network with the same account it will let you do In-Home Streaming and that will do exactly what you want. There's going to be a bit of input lag so I can't recommend playing Dark Souls (even if that's the game they use to advertise the feature) or a fighting game but anything else should work great.

It only works if both computers are running Windows right now, but Linux, Mac and SteamOS support is coming eventually.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By cornbredx

Don't need steam OS, just regular Steam installs on both computers does it. Details in that other guys post above me, but basically if you're on the same network, and you install the game on your better computer, when you hover over the game on the computer you want to play it on it will have a streaming option. This options works 100% fine (because it's over a local network) and your computer could be a piece of garbage but the game should still look normal because it's not actually rendering from this computer but from your better computer in the other room.

So, ya, just use Steam- it doesn't need to be any more complicated than that. It would work fine for what you are asking.

Edit: BTW, the other guy is wrong. Dark Souls works fine unless your network card/home network is junk. I have played it over In-Home Streaming and there is 0 lag.

DFL017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DFL017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.