Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Which RAM manufacturer should I buy from?

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By AuthenticM

I want to buy 2GB of DDR2, but I don't know from whom. I know Corsair is popular, but I would like to be enlightened. Which is the most reliable, cost-effective, etc.? Thanks.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Black_Raven

Unless you plan on overclocking you don't need expensive ram. Just look for cheap ram and make sure both 1gig modules are the same type because mix matching different brands of ram can sometimes cause problems when you run them in dual channel. But if your looking for high performance ram which you'll benefit from if you plan on overclocking then i believe corsair is your best choice.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Gunner
    Black_Raven said:
    "Unless you plan on overclocking you don't need expensive ram. Just look for cheap ram and make sure both 1gig modules are the same type because mix matching different brands of ram can sometimes cause problems when you run them in dual channel. But if your looking for high performance ram which you'll benefit from if you plan on overclocking then i believe corsair is your best choice."
    This. Corsair dominator is some of the best RAM for overclocking. If your looking to save some money though, the cheap G.skill RAM isnt bad. Its the kind i use and have hd one problem with it at stock settings.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By StaticFalconar

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145177&nm_mc=AFC-Spoofee&cm_mmc=AFC-Spoofee-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA

at that price Id buy it if I didn't already max my ram slots out.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Corsair, Crucial, Kingston All are some of the best ram out there.

Joru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By Joru

RAM sometimes tends to be faulty and having experienced that now I only buy Kingston or Corsair and I haven't had any problems with them.

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By Yit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098

I have that, works like a charm.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By xplodedd

I have Patriot, and works well.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AuthenticM

Thanks guys, got a couple of questions:
    -Is ECC better than non-ECC? I've read that ECC-enabled RAM shouldn't be trusted as they have a higher fault-rate than non-ECC RAM. Is this true?
    -Is a kit of two better than a single? Is 2GB made of two 1GB better than a single 2GB?
    -Is there 64 bit-specific RAM? I'm running Windowx XP 32 bit so I need to know.
    -What is the JEDEC standard and the EPP standard?

Also, I'm planning on buying a Dual-Core AMD processor. Does the Corsair XMS works with AMD processors?

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Lunarbunny
    • ECC (Buffered) RAM is typically used in server and supercomputing applications where data integrity is paramount. 99% of consumer products do not use ECC RAM, and will not work with ECC. ECC RAM is also noticably more expensive. DO NOT GET ECC RAM UNLESS YOUR MOTHERBOARD SPECIFIES THAT IT NEEDS IT.
    • Kits are guaranteed to be matched and therefore work in dual-channel configurations (which most motherboards use these days).
    • There is no bit-width specific RAM. It just has to be the proper specification for your motherboard (DDR/DDR2/DDR3 most likely)
    • JEDEC = Joint Electron Device Engineering Council. They're simply a board which set standards for RAM as well as other electronic devices. Generally they determine a standard's latencies and operating voltages.
    • EPP = Enhanced Performance Profiles. Basically a motherboard/RAM interface specification allowing for easier overclocking of RAM.
    raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By raven_squad

After building a number of PC's, and experimenting with most brands of RAM, i mostly only buy Corsair and Patriot now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.