Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Which RX 480 card is better, or is there really no difference?

wonderva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which RX 480 card is better, or is there really no difference? (9 votes)

XFX RX 480 GTR 8GB XXX Edition DD 8GB GDDR5 - $239 67%
    ASUS RX 480 STRIX OC 8GB OC Edition - $259 33%

Hi duders, first time builder here

I've narrowed my GPU choice to the RX 480 based on price and performance to meet my needs. I basically looked up the highest rated RX 480s, and these appear. Is there a significant difference between the two? Or are they pretty much the same? Which brand typically produces more reliably GPUs?

Thanks for all the help duders!

• 
    Psygnosis911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they were the same price, I'd say get the ASUS . It's better, but just barely. It's not $20 better though. Get the XFX.

wonderva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they were the same price, I'd say get the ASUS . It's better, but just barely. It's not $20 better though. Get the XFX.

Could you please explain how/why it is better? Trying to gain an understanding of all these PC parts. Thanks

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Short version: a 480 is a 480. Basically differences are that some are goosed slightly faster than others (aka overclocked out of the box). Based on your question, I don't think you do overclocking (make it run faster/hotter - WHICH CAN DAMAGE THE CARD IF YOU'RE NOT CAREFUL) so it's pretty much a wash as the differences are minor at best. I grabbed the XFX last week, and I'm happy with it.

wonderva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, now they both are the same price on Amazon, so makes the decision tougher. And no, I do not plan on overclocking the GPU

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Which one runs cooler? Even if you don't overclock a cool card is a happy card

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Onemanarmyy

@wonderva: I think the ASUS has passive cooling while the XFX card has active cooling. (unless i'm looking at the wrong ASUS card)

This means that the Asus card will be silent and use a larger heatsink to disperse the heat. The card will be hotter, but the system will be more silent. A decent case with proper ventilation will handle this heat. The XFX card is actively cooled by fans. The fans will be spinning which keeps the card cooler, but also makes it louder.

Seems like the Asus card is a bit longer than the XFX card because of the heatsink (298 mm vs 254 mm) so you might want to make sure that the ASUS card will fit. At similar price and provided you have a decent case with fans installed, i would go for the ASUS card.

wonderva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wonderva: At similar price and provided you have a decent case with fans installed, i would go for the ASUS card.

My first build will be a Mini ITX setup in the Fractal Nano S case with 2 intake fans, and 1 exhaust fan

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@wonderva: That's a pretty open case and supports GPU's up to 315 mm. So it seems fine to me.

tHAT_eXILE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Basically every 480 will be the same. You pay the price premium to have overclocking capabilities.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.