Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Witcher 2 vs Deus Ex: Human Revolution

HolyHackZack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HolyHackZack

Just got my gaming PC running after about 4 months of deadness and I'm looking for an engaging RPG to sink about a months worth of time into. At the moment I'm leaning very slightly toward Deus Ex because I played a few hours of the first one and enjoyed the environment, but then again Witcher 2 looks a little larger in scope. I've always been a console gamer until recently, so which game is the better PC RPG?

WildFloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By WildFloyd

A big game that you don't like is still a game that you dont like. If you've liked what you've played of Deus Ex then go with the safe option and pick up the Witcher 2 in a steam sale.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Better PC RPG? The Witcher 2. Better RPG overall, it's up to tastes.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zithe

I think The Witcher 2 plays better with a controller than keyboard and mouse. I mean, it can be done either way, but it feels like it was built for the controller. If you don't have a controller for your PC or don't want to use one, I would say go with Deus Ex.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DonPixel

I enjoyed more The Witcher 2 it has way better graphics. Deus is good but the combat is lammesauce... at the end is up to your personal taste.

RuneHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By RuneHammer

I actually started playing both recently and I have to say, Witcher 2 is an amazing game. As a classic RPG experience I would recommend Witcher 2. Deus Ex if you really like the Bethesda-type of RPG.

Just know this, Witcher 2 is really hard, but in a gratifying way.

Both seem like good choices but I spent 20+ hours with Witcher 2 and around 2 hours with Deus Ex, got both on the 26th.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Zithe said:

I think The Witcher 2 plays better with a controller than keyboard and mouse. I mean, it can be done either way, but it feels like it was built for the controller.

... are you serious? I bet they had the X360 port in mind while developing it...... fuck this shit
    Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zithe

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@Zithe said:

I think The Witcher 2 plays better with a controller than keyboard and mouse. I mean, it can be done either way, but it feels like it was built for the controller.

... are you serious? I bet they had the X360 port in mind while developing it...... fuck this shit

Yes, but it's not terribly done either way. We had discussions on this when the game came out. Some people disagreed with me. You can probably still find those threads in the Witcher 2 forums.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Zithe said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@Zithe said:

Yes, but it's not terribly done either way. We had discussions on this when the game came out. Some people disagreed with me. You can probably still find those threads in the Witcher 2 forums.

20 bucks says Witcher 3 developed lead on Xbox 360 and ported to PC 6 months later
    shulinchung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By shulinchung

Personal taste aside, I think the Witcher 2 is definitely the better product here. Better graphic, better combat, better RPG elements......
    Deus Ex is neither the best shooter nor the best RPG that have already been out this year.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Meowshi
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    @Zithe said:

It's a great game, fucking relax.  
    RuneHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By RuneHammer

@Ahmad_Metallic: The Witcher 2 is perhaps the latest great PC game with no DRM, amazing fucking graphics and to be honest, the controls are perfectly fine.

Although I'm gonna try it with a controller now...

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By crusader8463

Witcher 2.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By TobbRobb

I haven't played Human Revolution and didn't get through the entire first game. But I can really recommend The Witcher and the sequel as some of the best RPGs of all time.

Really, go with the atmosphere/world you prefer, that's what is most important.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Zithe said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@Zithe said:

I would have to disagree. After playing it with both ( I even played longer with the controller ) the mouse is more responsive and it allows for a lot more precision during combat. The controller support for that game is alright, but I think it is definitely better with a mouse and keyboard.
    DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By DaemonBlack

The Witcher 2 is great.

Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nocall
    @HolyHackZack said:
    Just got my gaming PC running after about 4 months of deadness and I'm looking for an engaging RPG to sink about a months worth of time into. At the moment I'm leaning very slightly toward Deus Ex because I played a few hours of the first one and enjoyed the environment, but then again Witcher 2 looks a little larger in scope. I've always been a console gamer until recently, so which game is the better PC RPG?
    They're both good. There's a big "witcher 2 2.0" patch coming out in September, so I'd play DE3 now and witcher once that is released.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Animasta

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@Zithe said:

the keyboard controls are perfectly fine, and I really didn't like the controller setup myself, calm down jeez

but as far as witcher 2 and deus ex go... they are both amazing games with some small problems, and at some point you just have to ask whether you would rather spend time in a fantasy world or a cyberpunk world.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ryanwho

I like Dues Ex way better. I enjoy the bend on convention you find in low fantasy, but its still super worn ground with the elves and mages and such. Dues Ex is a world you don't see very often in games. Witcher 2 is probably a more well made game, though.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DonPixel

@Meowshi said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
    @Zithe said:

Deus was made with consoles in mind too and it´s also a good game.. Let´s just chillax arguing about this stuff is kiddie shitt

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By emergency

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@Zithe said:

It plays perfectly well on a mouse and keyboard, the fact that they made it playable on a controller from the get-go just shows how clever they were during the design process. They probably did have the port in mind, and thats exactly why it should be applauded. Cause now it's not going to be a shit port, in all likelyhood. Which is a good thing.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @DonPixel said:

@Meowshi said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
    @Zithe said:

Deus was made with consoles in mind too and it´s also a good game.. Let´s just chillax arguing about this stuff is kiddie shitt

Criticizing PC developers who create games with the consoles in mind, and thus, usually, restricting their games and not putting out the best product possible, is kiddie shit?
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DonPixel

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@DonPixel said:

@Meowshi said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
    @Zithe said:

Criticizing PC developers who create games with the consoles in mind, and thus, usually, restricting their games and not putting out the best product possible, is kiddie shit?

I´m gonna facepalm and keep moving.. Before criticizing play The Witcher 2 first yoo, it´s a good game.

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By jettpack

You really cant go wrong with either. But the Witcher 2 would have to be my answer. Its a world class game in every aspect.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Rowr

@shulinchung said:

Personal taste aside, I think the Witcher 2 is definitely the better product here. Better graphic, better combat, better RPG elements...... Deus Ex is neither the best shooter nor the best RPG that have already been out this year.

Yeh but it is the best game to do both those things, at least this year - if not in the last 10.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By Vinny_Says

@Ahmad_Metallic: no 60 bucks is what those Poles will make....go where the money is dude.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By Marz

Honestly, it's a choice between whether you like Cyberpunk or Dark Fantasy because they are both great games.   You should probably play the first Witcher game before you hop into the second game, it's not a requirement but you'll have lots of knowledge on the world and know Geralt a lot better.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ShockD

I prefer fantasy over sc-fi so --> The Witcher 2.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    @DonPixel said:

@Meowshi said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
    @Zithe said:

Creating with consoles in mind first and trying to make combat fluid enough to where you would want analog control to switch between rolling and attacking as oppose to the KB and M just means the developer really liked the combat of Demon's Souls. 

And going from The Witcher 1 combat with kb+m to The Witcher 2 with a wired 360 controller I definitely preferred the combat in Witcher 2

Calm down dude, it's not the end of the world. Especially with what the developers are throwing out for support of Witcher 2. Did you even play it? Or are you just trying to shove the "consoles are ruining everything" mentality.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Laketown said: 

@Ahmad_Metallic  the keyboard controls are perfectly fine

What about the guy saying it's better for the controller, made for analog sticks and shit? I'm upgrading my PC in exactly 70 days, buying Witcher 2 the day i get the new machine, I don't wanna use a fucking controller man.

@Doctorchimp said:
    Creating with consoles in mind first and trying to make combat fluid enough to where you would want analog control to switch between rolling and attacking as oppose to the KB and M just means the developer really liked the combat of Demon's Souls.  
    Ok, nothing wrong with that, I'm not some PC maniac who thinks its forbidden for a PC developer to borrow mechanics from a console title, however I will lose interest if that's the case, and this is what i'm saying here, i'm losing interest. 

And going from The Witcher 1 combat with kb+m to The Witcher 2 with a wired 360 controller I definitely preferred the combat in Witcher 2 
    That's nice, glad you liked it, doesn't change the fact that it's a PC title and should give priority to M+KB 

Calm down dude, it's not the end of the world. 
    I'm pretty sure the world ended almost every time a genuine PC title got fucked up the A (i've experienced the fucking of many of those games, i'm not talking out my ass), so i beg to differ, it's the end of the world. 

Did you even play it? Or are you just trying to shove the "consoles are ruining everything" mentality.
    I haven't, like i said to Laketown it's going to be my first purchase after my PC upgrade, hence my concern. And the "consoles are ruining everything" mentality is not a false one if you're implying that. So yes I do have that mentality, I'm actually proud I do, and I have way too many games and developers to use as proof. Not the pointless "they sold out" shit, but rather "this game clearly devolved" shit.
    FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FourWude

PC tards once again bitching over the most asinine of things. 

And that's why I hate PC tards.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By valrog

I have started playing Deus Ex only recently, but I can assure you that The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is an unforgettable experience. And not to mention that CD Projekt RED is constantly improving it.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SlasherMan
    @Ahmad_Metallic:  Relax dude, it's perfectly playable with a keyboard and mouse. I tried the game with both control schemes, and both had pros and cons actually. Mouse was more precise with targeting, and it worked better with menus, gamepad had naturally better analog movement so dodging was easier. Regardless, the game's pretty great. I personally still prefer the first game for numerous reasons (seeing the Vinny QL just reinforced that), but 2 was just objectively better in many ways and was a lot more polished too.
    avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By avantegardener

Actually just playing the 2 of these titles at the same time myself. Firstly, is'nt great to have 2 excellent titles to play on the PC? Visually, the witcher is superior IMO. But both are very different games, boils down to taste I suppose. I'm only a little bit into HR and enjoying the adaptive gameplay, but I have to say I'm enjoying the Witcher 2 more so far.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The Witcher 2 hands-down. 

I'm enjoying Deus Ex, but the world, characters, story, fighting mechanics and rpg elements of TW2 are unparalleled.  

If your system can run it, go with that one, you won't be disappointed. 

On a side note, Deus Ex is janky as hell and for the better part, feels like a game from 2004.
    ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ShockD

It's amusing how many people argue with facts in this thread while it's all a matter of preferences.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ravenlight

@Laketown said:

at some point you just have to ask whether you would rather spend time in a fantasy world or a cyberpunk world.

This pretty much sums it up. Both are excellent games, both have their share of flaws. Maybe wait and see which one is in a Steam sale first?

@FourWude said:

PC tards once again bitching over the most asinine of things.

And that's why I hate PC tards.

You could replace PC with Console and still have the same argument. Bottom line: Avoid tards.

ikaruga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ikaruga

witcher 2 no question. I was playing Dues ex because my laptop couldn't handle witcher 2 (I still play 12 hrs at 20 something fps before giving up), just built a new computer this week and redownload in witcher 2 last night, I instantly lose interest in dues ex and just wanted to play witcher 2 instead.
    Go for it if your computer can handle witcher 2. This is the most beautiful looking game I've seen yet (1080p on ultra is glorious)

PsyChronic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PsyChronic

@Laketown said:

You just have to ask whether you would rather spend time in a fantasy world or a cyberpunk world.

@Zithe said:

If you don't have a controller for your PC or don't want to use one, I would say go with Deus Ex.

Answering these questions should determine your purchase. Although I own and love both games, I'd have to say The Witcher 2 is better overall & has more replay value...but, the combat is not nearly as satisfying w/o a gamepad.

Prv8J0k3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Prv8J0k3r

For me personally, it's kind of comparing apples to oranges... I sunk a lot of time into the first Witcher and enjoyed it, but I feel like the second plays a lot differently and not necessarily in a good way. The camera is just kind of awkward for me when you compare it to the first one. On top of that, and yes I know that Deus Ex is considered a RPG, but I wouldn't consider it a full out RPG. To me it's a hybrid(FPS/RPG/Action...very Borderlands), so I guess it really comes down to what you are looking for.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.