Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Arena

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Aug 07, 2012

Persona 4 Arena is an Arc System Works-developed fighting game with an Atlus-developed story mode that serves as the official sequel to both Persona 3 and Persona 4.

North American version region locked

• 121 results
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#101  Edited By Hailinel

@Cloudenvy said:

Well, they're just not getting my money then. Done deal.

I just don't understand this mindset.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#102  Edited By Animasta

they're not getting my money either!

it's because I don't have any money to give them

Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103  Edited By Daroki

@BigChief said:

Must suck to be Atlus USA right now. A decision that was seemingly out of their hands earning them a bunch of negativity in the lead up to what seems like one of their biggest titles. Ouch.

Like usual though, they've dealt with the situation as well as can be expected. The reaction came late, but that's understandable because of P4A and KoF13 being at Evo, but at least when it came it was transparent and understandable. It sucks for the people in Europe, but the dollar's a shitshow against the yen right now, and protecting the importing from the US over to Japan makes sense.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#104  Edited By FluxWaveZ

It was nice of Atlus USA to be so transparent with the whole deal, but now I'd be curious to hear the whole thing from the Japanese companies that are apparently the real guys behind this decision. Did Arc System Works have a say in this? Was this decision enforced by Index? Are they noticing the insane fan backlash or are they all too happy ignoring everything outside of Japan? This is stuff I'd like to know.

Also wonder if Japanese fans are going as crazy as we are over here.

And (supposedly) none of this would have happened if there wasn't dual language audio! Man, I never asked for this.

bigchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#105  Edited By bigchief

Actually I'm a little surprised at how forthright they were about why it's happening. I mean, we didn't hear the specifics, but I was expecting a "We can't get into the reasons behind this decision," and that would be the end of it.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@BigChief: I think they just realized that this fan reaction was a bit higher up on the level of magnitude than "petty"—saying "It should be added that we were completely unprepared for the force with which the community communicated their disapproval"— and it could cause some genuine harm to the company's perception, so they had to be as clear as they could.

Now I'm still wondering how Atlus is the first company to have region locked a PS3 game. Japanese companies consistently region lock Xbox 360 games (which I believe is an optional decision, right?) yet they've never touched the PS3 version until now? Was it really because no one wanted to be the first company to make the jump or did something change? I quoted that Yoshida image before of him saying it's always been a publisher's choice, but that seems a bit sketchy.

Qblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#107  Edited By Qblivion

Theoretically nothing is preventing them from making the US version locked out of JP consoles but not EU ones right?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Qblivion said:

Theoretically nothing is preventing them from making the US version locked out of JP consoles but not EU ones right?

Can region locking be that precise? In any case, yeah, based on their reasoning the only region lock that's been explained is NA to Japanese consoles, but they've decided to region lock everything for a reason that's hard to guess. Maybe it's to prevent region discrimination? I don't know.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By mutha3

@FluxWaveZ said:

And (supposedly) none of this would have happened if there wasn't dual language audio! Man, I never asked for this.

So basically, all of this can be blamed on and

this is what yui horie does to videogames

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#110  Edited By Bocam

@mutha3 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

So basically, all of this can be blamed on and

this is what yui horie does to videogames

I now know the dangers of wanting to save money.

@FluxWaveZ said:

It was nice of Atlus USA to be so transparent with the whole deal, but now I'd be curious to hear the whole thing from the Japanese companies that are apparently the real guys behind this decision. Did Arc System Works have a say in this? Was this decision enforced by Index? Are they noticing the insane fan backlash or are they all too happy ignoring everything outside of Japan? This is stuff I'd like to know.

Also wonder if Japanese fans are going as crazy as we are over here.

From what I've read on some Japanese gaming sites. They're like this is just Atlus as usual (Atlus JP has a habit of making their games expensive as fuck. IE: The PSP version of Persona 2 EP is $80). The only time Japanese fans got mad at Atlus was when Atlus made Amazon Japan pull the Persona 4 blu-rays because Amazon was pricing them too low. Atlus JP didn't give a fuck what their fans thought.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Bocam: Wow, that makes Atlus Japan sound like the evil opposite of Atlus USA. That's really unfortunate.

Actually, Japanese fans seem pretty mad about it here.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#112  Edited By Petiew
    @Hailinel: I'm not sure where Cloudenvy is from, but I think it's a fair thing to do.
    I live in the UK, Atlus has no branch here and doesn't care about it at all. The publishers that often pick up Atlus games are slow and unreliable. Often titles are not announced until a long time later leaving us wondering if they will ever come out( Such as Catherine) or are not released at all (Strange Journey).
    Atlus doesn't care about the Uk, and the publishers do not inform us adequately or release games in a timely manner. 
    The fact that Atlus then region lock every version of the game is sort of a kick in the teeth to us.

If someone doesn't want to support poor practice then e-mailing the companies and not buying the game or buying used is an understandeable mindset.

Why does the NA release contain Japanese text anyway? Voices I can understand, but if they wanted to prevent reverse importation not including the text would have been a good start.
    The only game I own with changeable text is Star Ocean 4, which was relased much later on the PS3.
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Bocam

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Bocam: Wow, that makes Atlus Japan sound like the evil opposite of Atlus USA. That's really unfortunate.

Actually, Japanese fans seem pretty mad about it here.

I love how some comments are just 外人さん可哀想(´・ω・`) or これは外人イジメwww. They really care about us Gaijin. Though It seems like they think this also blocks global internet play (which is wrong). So they're happy about not having to deal with lag.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Sooty

Well then they lost a sale, by the time it hits Europe I'll have lost interest or feel too behind to pick it up. Good job region locking dicktits.

bigchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#115  Edited By bigchief

Oddly enough, after thinking about it, I'm still more upset about the recast VOs than the region locking, but that's probably because I live in the US and don't import.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By 71Ranchero

Oh dear, a video game thats region locked but its getting a global release. What on earth are you people NOT fucking pissed about?

Ocean_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#117  Edited By Ocean_H

Lame excuse to region lock it.

Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Juno500

As much as I disagree with region-locking, at the same time their actions are understandable. They're responding to the market, they aren't trying to piss on their fans. That doesn't make it right, but it does mean that they aren't acting out of malice, ignorance or indifference.

And I don't think Atlus USA deserves much scorn here, it was likely out of their hands and they've done a lot for their fans over the years.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#119  Edited By eirikr

I'm all for profit protection that could lead to more money for SMTIV's budget. Mwhahahahahaha

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By shirogane

@Petiew said:

@Hailinel: I'm not sure where Cloudenvy is from, but I think it's a fair thing to do. I live in the UK, Atlus has no branch here and doesn't care about it at all. The publishers that often pick up Atlus games are slow and unreliable. Often titles are not announced until a long time later leaving us wondering if they will ever come out( Such as Catherine) or are not released at all (Strange Journey). Atlus doesn't care about the Uk, and the publishers do not inform us adequately or release games in a timely manner. The fact that Atlus then region lock every version of the game is sort of a kick in the teeth to us. If someone doesn't want to support poor practice then e-mailing the companies and not buying the game or buying used is an understandeable mindset. Why does the NA release contain Japanese text anyway? Voices I can understand, but if they wanted to prevent reverse importation not including the text would have been a good start. The only game I own with changeable text is Star Ocean 4, which was relased much later on the PS3.

Zen United in particular is quite slow and horrible. Then they go and not even release the DLC stuff, ever. Or by the time they do it's pretty useless or everyone's lost interest.

orange_pork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#121  Edited By orange_pork

@Atramentous: People are mostly just pissed about having to possibly wait a long time to play it. Imagine if you're European and hoping to get your hands on the game in a few weeks, but now it's in the hands of the same jackoffs who needed almost a full year to localize Blazblue. It's effectively a potential year long delay for them now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.