Retain Original Voice Cast

  • 54 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for metalsnakezero
#1 Posted by metalsnakezero (2832 posts) -
Avatar image for fluxwavez
#2 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19836 posts) -

They're "trying their best". Next thing you know, everyone's voiced by someone different except for Kanji.

Only thing really of note out of Jabbari's post was the fact that the game is definitely coming out in August.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
#3 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5777 posts) -

Well Troy Baker and Yuri Lowenthal seem to have a great relationship with atlus. I can't imagine Johnny Yong Bosch and Liam O'Brien turning it down. Actually I can't imagine anyone turning it down.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
#4 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6651 posts) -

What if they got Keith David to voice Teddie.

Tell me you'd be completely upset with that decision.

Avatar image for hailinel
#5 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

The only way I can see this not working out is if any of the voice actors couldn't participate due to scheduling conflicts.

Avatar image for spunkyhepanda
#6 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (2050 posts) -

Doesn't Persona 4: The Golden have new voice work? Oh God, imagine if they can't get the original cast for that.

Avatar image for immortalsaiyan
#7 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4748 posts) -

I sure hope it's the original cast. Would not feel right otherwise.

Avatar image for fluxwavez
#8 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19836 posts) -

Nah, I'm pretty sure that all of the original voice actors, even the Persona 3 ones, will be back. Still, this isn't a confirmation.

@SpunkyHePanda said:

Doesn't Persona 4: The Golden have new voice work? Oh God, imagine if they can't get the original cast for that.

Ha, that'd be hilarious. One line of dialogue would be Yuri Lowenthal and the next from the same character would be Nolan North.

Avatar image for landon
#9 Posted by Landon (4137 posts) -

English cast was better than the Japanese cast. I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Avatar image for jacksukeru
#10 Posted by jacksukeru (6564 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: All the new lines are done by Nolan North :D

Avatar image for djratchet
#11 Posted by Djratchet (687 posts) -

@RockmanBionics said:

@FluxWaveZ: All the new lines are done by Nolan North :D

Nolan North as EVERYONE

I don't know how I would feel about that. But god it would be hilarious.

Avatar image for pepsiman
#12 Posted by Pepsiman (2799 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Nah, I'm pretty sure that all of the original voice actors, even the Persona 3 ones, will be back. Still, this isn't a confirmation.

@SpunkyHePanda said:

Doesn't Persona 4: The Golden have new voice work? Oh God, imagine if they can't get the original cast for that.

Ha, that'd be hilarious. One line of dialogue would be Yuri Lowenthal and the next from the same character would be Nolan North.

That scenario actually happens at one point during Devil Survivor Overclock where a random police NPC initially voiced by somebody I don't know starts blabbering about how freaked out he is only to switch mid-monologue into Johnny Yong Bosch. Still very obviously the same character that's supposed to be talking; just somebody at Atlus USA slipped up when coordinating that line of dialog. Very surreal to witness.

Avatar image for somejerk
#13 Posted by SomeJerk (4077 posts) -

As long as they dump the goddamn honorifics I'm okay

Avatar image for slightconfuse
#14 Posted by SlightConfuse (3996 posts) -

just have nolan north do them all

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
#15 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1548 posts) -

Eh, it hasn't been that long since Persona 4 and a lot of the voice actors they usually use don't seem to be that hard to get a hold of, if you play a game it's a good chance one of those dudes is voicing something in it. They're more prominent than Nolan North.

Avatar image for blacklagoon
#16 Edited by BlackLagoon (1928 posts) -

@Pepsiman said:

just somebody at Atlus USA slipped up when coordinating that line of dialog. Very surreal to witness.

Not necessarily - it's quite possible that there was an issue with the recording of the original, could be technical, the performance itself, or a last minute script tweak, and they didn't have the time or money to get that actor back for just those lines. It's not unheard of in anime dubs, or other video games - I seem to recall there were a couple of mid-conversation actor switches in Fallout 3.

Oh, and yeah, really hope they get everyone back - especially Jeff and Vinny. :D

Avatar image for shirogane
#17 Posted by Shirogane (3630 posts) -

@Landon said:

English cast was better than the Japanese cast. I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

BRING IT! In August apparantly...

Avatar image for pepsiman
#18 Posted by Pepsiman (2799 posts) -

@BlackLagoon: True. I've thought of those things, too. I'm just not accustomed to those sorts of things with Atlus dubs in particular, so that's why it stood out so much for me. I know that in an ideal world they probably wouldn't have let things stay like that, but yeah.

Avatar image for neurotic
#19 Edited by Neurotic (635 posts) -

I don't think there will be any issue at all getting most of the English VAs. They're all pretty prominent, with the exception of Naoto who I haven't heard do anything else but I could be mistaken.

@Landon said:

English cast was better than the Japanese cast. I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

I thought some were better in English and some better in Japanese.

Avatar image for mutha3
#20 Posted by mutha3 (5050 posts) -

Isn't Yukiko's VA done with voice work? I remember hearing something like that.

Avatar image for vexxan
#21 Posted by Vexxan (4633 posts) -

I hope and believe they will get the old cast together for this, would be so weird if they went with other voice actors...

Avatar image for captain_felafel
#22 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1727 posts) -

This is definitely encouraging news. And if they can pull this off, and reassemble the Investigation Team America Edition, then it's safe to assume they'd have less difficulty bringing them back for P4 The Golden as well. Fingers crossed it all works out! That voice cast was so central to my enjoyment of P4 that I really hope that they can pull this off and get the team back together.

Avatar image for neurotic
#23 Edited by Neurotic (635 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

Isn't Yukiko's VA done with voice work? I remember hearing something like that.

According to Wikipedia, her son had cancer so she stopped doing work for a while but he recovered like 4 years ago, and Persona 4 came out around then so I think she's still hanging around. She did a few extra voices in Saint's Row: The Third apparently.

Avatar image for sooty
#24 Posted by Sooty (8193 posts) -

@Landon said:

English cast was better than the Japanese cast. I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Japanese Chie was a lot better, English Chie sounds like she's in her thirties.

Avatar image for andrewb
#25 Edited by AndrewB (7814 posts) -

They got the original voice cast for Persona 3 back for Persona 3 Portable. That at least gives me a little faith. I mean, they'd *better* be getting the cast back together. They have 3 different Persona 4 things to localize (the fighting game, The Golden, and the Anime). Might as well do it all at once, aye?

Personally, I hope they have Cam Clarke do all the voices.

Avatar image for metalsnakezero
#26 Posted by metalsnakezero (2832 posts) -

I think its possible that they can get all of the voice actress/actors back on since looking at their profiles show that they are open and are still doing work on video games. I think its a matter of when they're available to come to the recording studio (PCB Production) for a recording session. BTW the studio they use looks pretty nice: http://www.atlus.com/pd9.php

Avatar image for hector
#27 Posted by Hector (3547 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

What if they got Keith David to voice Teddie.

Tell me you'd be completely upset with that decision.

haha. That would be really awkward but it would be so grand at the same time.

Avatar image for mikegosot
#28 Posted by MikeGosot (3237 posts) -
@Sooty said:

@Landon said:

English cast was better than the Japanese cast. I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Japanese Chie was a lot better, English Chie sounds like she's in her thirties.

I think this is your first post that i don't agree with. Seriously, i can't stand Japanese Chie. It's downright annoying and horrible. Ugh.
Avatar image for mooseymcman
#29 Posted by MooseyMcMan (12541 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

What if they got Keith David to voice Teddie.

Tell me you'd be completely upset with that decision.

I have no interest in actually buying this game, but I would buy it if they did that.

Avatar image for cube
#30 Posted by Cube (4385 posts) -

Starring Jeremy Irons as Kanji. Yeah!

Avatar image for zeik
#31 Posted by Zeik (4425 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@Sooty said:

@Landon said:

English cast was better than the Japanese cast. I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Japanese Chie was a lot better, English Chie sounds like she's in her thirties.

I think this is your first post that i don't agree with. Seriously, i can't stand Japanese Chie. It's downright annoying and horrible. Ugh.

I don't know if I'd call it "horrible", but it is fairly annoying and so not the Chie I know and love. Japanese Chie is probably the biggest reason I'll never be able to enjoy the Japanese dub.

Avatar image for mikegosot
#32 Posted by MikeGosot (3237 posts) -
@Zeik said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Sooty said:

@Landon said:

English cast was better than the Japanese cast. I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Japanese Chie was a lot better, English Chie sounds like she's in her thirties.

I think this is your first post that i don't agree with. Seriously, i can't stand Japanese Chie. It's downright annoying and horrible. Ugh.

I don't know if I'd call it "horrible", but it is fairly annoying and so not the Chie I know and love. Japanese Chie is probably the biggest reason I'll never be able to enjoy the Japanese dub.

Yeah, maybe i was being harsh... But, i seriously can't stand that voice. Ugh.
Avatar image for silvaruslupus
#33 Posted by SilvarusLupus (313 posts) -

Chie's Japanese VA is fine you all are crazy.

I like both the English and Japanese voice actors, like the the Japanese ones slightly more though.

Avatar image for benjaebe
#34 Posted by benjaebe (2871 posts) -

Man I'd die inside if they didn't get the whole voice cast back. Especially since I'd imagine they'd be working on P4G and the anime too. It just wouldn't be the same.

Avatar image for zeik
#35 Posted by Zeik (4425 posts) -

@SilvarusLupus said:

Chie's Japanese VA is fine you all are crazy.

I like both the English and Japanese voice actors, like the the Japanese ones slightly more though.

It's not bad, but high pitched Japanese voices tend to get annoying before long. Just watching matches with Chie in them is a little annoying, I don't think I could handle hours and hours of it in a fighter.

Mostly though it's simply that I'm used to her English voice, so her Japanese voice just doesn't sound like Chie anymore.

Avatar image for alternate
#36 Posted by alternate (2819 posts) -

They are all journeyman voice actors. Other than an unlikely schedule clash I can't see anyone turning it down. The "trying" bit just means they don't have everyone under contract to do it as yet.

Avatar image for iamjohn
#37 Posted by iAmJohn (6233 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

What if they got Keith David to voice Teddie.

Tell me you'd be completely upset with that decision.

That would be unbearlievable!

Avatar image for metalsnakezero
#38 Posted by metalsnakezero (2832 posts) -

@alternate said:

They are all journeyman voice actors. Other than an unlikely schedule clash I can't see anyone turning it down. The "trying" bit just means they don't have everyone under contract to do it as yet.

It also Atlus's policy to not be 100% sure that things will work out and let all of their customers know in the beginning until they got what they need to be sure. The same thing applies to licensing games, their not sure if they can bring a game over until they get thing in place to make the announcement.

Avatar image for nottle
#39 Posted by Nottle (1933 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

What if they got Keith David to voice Teddie.

Tell me you'd be completely upset with that decision.

I have no interest in actually buying this game, but I would buy it if they did that.

They'll have my money when Teddie says "YOU CAN GO FUCK YOUR SELF, I'M NOT PUTTING ON THE DAMN GLASSES" and then gets into a 7 minute fist fight.

Avatar image for perfidioussinn
#40 Posted by PerfidiousSinn (909 posts) -

If they can't get everyone back, just reuse voice clips from Persona 4.

Actually, that's what I was expecting in the first place.

Avatar image for bigheart711
#41 Posted by Bigheart711 (1272 posts) -

I think they will retain the original cast, but I'm really neutral about this matter. It wouldn't bother me if some of the voice actors weren't from the original roster for P4 or P3 (Except Charlie. I'm a bit territorial about his even though he doesn't have much of one). They would also have to end up adding another VA for Labyrs' role anyway.

Avatar image for metalsnakezero
#42 Posted by metalsnakezero (2832 posts) -

@PerfidiousSinn said:

If they can't get everyone back, just reuse voice clips from Persona 4.

Actually, that's what I was expecting in the first place.

Most likely not. Everything is completely new dialog and lines.

Avatar image for ravenlight
#43 Posted by Ravenlight (8057 posts) -

@Djratchet said:

@RockmanBionics said:

@FluxWaveZ: All the new lines are done by Nolan North :D

Nolan North as EVERYONE

I don't know how I would feel about that. But god it would be hilarious.

I'd pay good money to hear him say "Aha--is this our chance?" in bored monotone.

Avatar image for oni
#44 Posted by Oni (2283 posts) -

@BlackLagoon said:

@Pepsiman said:

just somebody at Atlus USA slipped up when coordinating that line of dialog. Very surreal to witness.

Not necessarily - it's quite possible that there was an issue with the recording of the original, could be technical, the performance itself, or a last minute script tweak, and they didn't have the time or money to get that actor back for just those lines. It's not unheard of in anime dubs, or other video games - I seem to recall there were a couple of mid-conversation actor switches in Fallout 3.

Oh, and yeah, really hope they get everyone back - especially Jeff and Vinny. :D

This happens very noticeably in Skyrim as well, with the Greybeard duder.

Avatar image for uncleclassy
#45 Posted by UncleClassy (405 posts) -
@Nottle said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

What if they got Keith David to voice Teddie.

Tell me you'd be completely upset with that decision.

I have no interest in actually buying this game, but I would buy it if they did that.

They'll have my money when Teddie says "YOU CAN GO FUCK YOUR SELF, I'M NOT PUTTING ON THE DAMN GLASSES" and then gets into a 7 minute fist fight.

HAHAHA Nice reference, sir!
Avatar image for fluxwavez
#46 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19836 posts) -
Avatar image for hailinel
#47 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -
Avatar image for mikegosot
#48 Posted by MikeGosot (3237 posts) -
Avatar image for metalsnakezero
#49 Posted by metalsnakezero (2832 posts) -
Avatar image for punisherkaos
#50 Posted by punisherkaos (336 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: I hope she can at least sound somewhat similar i mean sure she sounds like 40 but man hearing another noticeably different voice coming outta chie is gonna be really weird

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.