Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Golden

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 14, 2012

Persona 4 Golden is an update of the critically acclaimed PlayStation 2 role-playing game. New additions and changes have been made exclusively for the PlayStation Vita.

I have never played Persona 4 is now a good time to get this?

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By xSeanZx

I have been getting more and more interested in this game, and am wrestling with the idea of buying it.

I like RPGs, they are not my favorite but I like them when they have a good story.

Does this game have a good story? Is it well paced?.... Or, is it cheesy like a lot of other RPGs

As someone who has never played a persona game, will this be a good way to experience it?

I have no Vita games so I need something.... and I need help deciding if this should be it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BisonHero

@xSeanZx: The game has an immaculately paced story, if you're used to reading books where you get to know characters over the course of months or years. Though it is quite a long game, there is generally always something going on due to the way the game is structured. The cast of characters is quite varied and interesting.

The actual gameplay is pretty manageable compared to most JRPG systems, and the game is pretty clear about what elements are not working against what enemies, etc.

Playing Persona 4 is a really good use of your Vita.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Terramagi

The game has an amazing pace*

*after you get through the 3 hour long intro

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xSeanZx

I see there is the whole high school story element and everything.... does that play out a lot in this game?

I really like that a lot in RPGs... I like just living a life rather than constantly fighting enemies. I like really story driven gameplay

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xSeanZx

@Terramagi said:

Lol damn I hate that.... BUT i am willing to tread through it if the game is worth it

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By nightriff

Greatest game ever made.

The game works in that you go to school during the day and fight shadows in dungeons at night. It's a "dating sim," jrpg, turn based pokemon game. It is pretty much everything.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RE_Player1

@xSeanZx said:

I see there is the whole high school story element and everything.... does that play out a lot in this game?

I really like that a lot in RPGs... I like just living a life rather than constantly fighting enemies. I like really story driven gameplay

Well even fighting enemies, while improving stats and levels, does lead to more character development and interactions. Climbing up the floors people are trapped in advances the plot by giving you a further understanding of that character's shadow, essentially their inner feelings, through interruptions by them. Yes some people can describe it as slow but I feel it is paced perfectly and by the end of the game you are bound to have grown attached to at least a few of the characters.

Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Shinri

@Terramagi said:

That is definitely a pain, but not only did they add some chances for you to explore the town during the intro, the skip feature lets you get through it in 10 or so minutes if you don't want to deal with it (e.g. NG+). It's not quite as bad as it was before.

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xSeanZx

This game tends to give me a catherine feel..... and while these are two completely different games I hope you guys know what I mean...

I loved Catherine.... this game has me really intrigued and you guys are helping.... tell me more lol....

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Sayishere

Well the changes are motto everyone's liking, but since you haven't played it before it won't matter as much, yeah it's the perfect time to play it, arguably the best version of the game.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BisonHero

@xSeanZx said:

Yeah, the high school element is pretty central to the whole game. You spend your days in class, then you choose to commit your afternoon time to either hanging out with somebody (getting to know people benefits your character and your party in various ways), spending time on some other activity around town, or instead you spend the day going to the place where you do JRPG battles against monsters.

So yeah, it is absolutely living a life, with you choosing how you spend your days, and who you hang out with. It's an interesting structure for an RPG, and Persona 4 executes the idea very well. Again, if you like games with a strong story, Persona 4 seems like a game you will enjoy. There is an ongoing mystery driving the plot, while you get to somewhat customize your version of the story by choosing what people you get to know over others.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Also, which some people seem to forget, the characters like to reiterate on something you just learned five minutes ago for the next five over and over again. It's especially bad in the beginning of the game where the characters just look like idiots wildly waving their arms and scratching their heads, but after a bit that nonsense calms down.

But yeah, buy that shit.

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xSeanZx

Damn guys... Thanks for all the info.

Im going to list my 3G Vita on craigslist and see how much I can get, and see if maybe tomorrow I can pick this game up along with a white vita....

Damn my impulsive nature

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By probablytuna

I've never played it before I picked up Golden and I'm having a blast playing it while watching the Endurance Run. Get it!

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Karmosin

I feel like the original is one of the most polished games I've ever played. The game occaniously thinks you're dumb and wants to remind you again and again about obvious details, like Sir Optimus said, but otherwise I don't have many gripes with it. It's simply awesome. Can't speak for the golden version, but from what I've heard the positive stuff they've added weighs alot more than the more questionable decisions of some content.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Morrow

I never played any Persona game. My copy arrived today and I can't wait to play it. Wohoo :D

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xSeanZx

I think im going to buy this today....Im impatient and wont have time to go home after class first so i will buy one, go back and buy another after a trade in, and return the other one on the original purchase

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By casper_

the story isnt that great as a murder mystery buts its fun in a kind of scooby doo way and some of the characters are memorable.

also kind of standard anime hijinks for better or worse.

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xSeanZx

Well I bought the game. Instantly felt awkward in this study room at my college when that first bikini commercial came on ... I could see how that would look to an outsider lol. Loving the animation so far. It looks great

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Getz

If you already have a Vita then absolutely you should get this game. God, I hope it hasn't been spoiled too much for you because the game is way better when the plot is a series of revelations. Vita seems like a good place to get it since they've cleaned it up a bit.

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xSeanZx

Yeah I just bought it and I know nothing about the story or what happens. Seriously not a thing

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By colourful_hippie

@xSeanZx said:

Yeah I just bought it and I know nothing about the story or what happens. Seriously not a thing

Keep it that way, you're in for a great experience.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Red

As for pacing, it's very, very well paced, although one could argue the first few hours slog. I have a huge difficulty finishing JRPGs (despite having played all Final Fantasies aside from the MMOs, 8, and 10, I've only beaten the first two), but Persona 4 is a game I blazed through. As soon as you feel bored of dungeon crawling, you go do some social links, and vice versa. The story and characters throw out a lot of great twists, and it's a game that--because of its structure--is nearly impossible to get stuck or lost in.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pyrodactyl

@xSeanZx: I would recommend getting the fuck away from this forum and the coment section on the site. Most people on here watched the endurance run and some are loose with MAJOR spoilers.Don't look at game pages or faqs, just play the game. It's great and you don't want it ruined

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By JasonR86

yeah.

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xSeanZx

So I love chie so far ....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.