Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Golden

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 14, 2012

Persona 4 Golden is an update of the critically acclaimed PlayStation 2 role-playing game. New additions and changes have been made exclusively for the PlayStation Vita.

Japanese Release Date, Build Your Own Garden

• 51 results
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Japanese release date: June 14th. It'll cost ¥7,329 ($92) for the standard edition and ¥10,290 ($129) for the Famitsu DX pack which includes:

Six clear posters with illustrations from Madhouse, Studio Hibari (Persona 4 cutscene creators), Hiroyuki Maeda, Shuji Sogabe (Persona 3 manga artist), and Shigenori Soejima plus 10 postcards and a pouch shaped like Marie’s bag.

Additional information coming from this week's Famitsu is that players will be able to build their own gardens, taking care of plants and such. Famitsu apparently also has some info on the game's new opening, new winter clothing for the characters and the third tier of evolved Personas, so I'll be updating this thread when that information becomes known.

Source

So P4G has fishing, gardening, building relationships, visiting other towns, various seasons with accompanying events, side quests helping fellow Inaba residents... all it needs is the option to rent your own apartment and buy furniture for it and we have Animal Crossing.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Pepsiman

Actually, I think there are a few more requirements that need to be satisfied before the game will become "Persona Crossing: The Golden Shovel Tree." These include, among other things:

• Neighbors who passive aggressively pester you to send them letters by constantly giving you stationary in return for conducting long, multi-neighbor fetch quests that span the entire neighborhood. They'll then proceed to not read your letters and then only occasionally give you something back if you include a gift in your initial letter.
    • As the title states, golden shovel trees.
    • The presence of Crazy Redd. Mysterious fox might suffice in the event that she acquires an actual voice that can do something other than yip and bark.
    • The ability to play bad retro games nobody wanted to be reminded of existing. Obviously, this simply means replacing such classics as Wario's Woods and Clu-Clu Land with the original Megami Tensei games for the Famicom. Done.
    • Either even more bear puns from Teddie or giving every character a unique speech quirk, preferably both. Ideally, this would be in tandem with replacing the dub with the sort of animalese that Animal Crossing is creepily known for.
    • Being able to to fish for a coelacanth. Nevermind.
    • A garbage dump with which to furnish your house and wardrobe, sometimes containing valuable goods that can then be sold back to Daidara at a profit.
    • The ability to craft the town theme in the form of a 16 note MIDI tune that will play via various instruments every time you talk to a character.
    • e-reader support.

Obviously all of these features might be in the game after all and Atlus just has yet to formally announce them. This very much so will require a wait-and-see approach in this instance.

That being said, oh thank god, farming in a video game.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MikkaQ

Man I really hope for a NA release. I keep telling myself I'll get a Vita either when it's 200$ or when P4G comes out here. Adding minigames sounds weird, but hey anything to distinguish that playthrough sounds nice.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@MikkaQ said:

Man I really hope for a NA release.

Someone on NeoGAF put it well:

People who don't think Golden is coming are:
    A) Beyond paranoid / pessimistic
    B) Don't understand business
    C) Are really dumb
    D) Combination of above

Even before the announcement of P4U's localization, there was no doubt. It feels as though this scenario has happened way too many times to expect any other outcome, lest the binds that hold our universe be unraveled.

juice8367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By juice8367

Seems pretty expensive for a vita game but then again I'm also considering on buying a vita just for this game so who am I to say. Still I will almost certainly pay whatever atlus wants as long as it come states side.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Gosh, that sounds awesome. More random stuff to do on days not spend in a dungeon is a good thing in my book.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By mutha3

......Some of these additions are really weird.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Pepsiman

@mutha3 said:

......Some of these additions are really weird.

"A lost Shadow has wandered onto Charlie's turnip plantation! Won't you help your friend in finding it a home?"

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

Could all these additions signal a case of diminishing returns? Nope.

...And Nier has a gardening mechanic? You really do learn something new every day!

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Bocam

@juice8367: Japanese game prices have always been outrageous.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By neurotic

At least an NA release will be fairly prompt. It took a year and a half for P3P to come to Europe. On the bright side, if P4G takes that long as well, the VIta will be much less expensive by then.

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

@Bocam: It's the Blu-ray prices that frighten me, God damn!

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Mcfart

It's too bad for Sony that the longer this takes to come stateside, the longer before I get a Vita :P

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mutha3

@WatanabeKazuma said:

@Bocam: It's the Blu-ray prices that frighten me, God damn!

Seriously. What was it, 70 bucks for the first episode? Holy shit. I can't believe people in Japan actually pay those prizes.

@WatanabeKazuma said:

I think these changes are a little desperate, honestly. P4 was a very complete game, so the stuff they could add gameplaywise had to enhance the gameplay rather than "fix" it.

I just hope this garden feature-thing doesn't let you break the game as easily as skillcards in P3P.

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

@mutha3 said:

@WatanabeKazuma said:

I think these changes are a little desperate, honestly. P4 was a very complete game, so the stuff they could add gameplaywise had to enhance the gameplay rather than "fix" it.

I just hope this garden feature-thing doesn't let you break the game as easily as skillcards in P3P.

I'm a little skeptical myself, I was just being a little facetious with the previous comment in fairness, apologies. This is a game geared towards the fans, and I don't think anything will happen to tread on those toes. For as much as I like P3P, I similarly wouldn't recommend it to a newcomer for that reason. I just read all this new content as something to justify the re-release, because truth be told, they probably would have gotten away with a straight up port.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By coakroach

I'm picturing Charlie in a lawn chair drinking rum out of a coconut while Nanako toils away in the summer heat trying to grow a watermelon.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Morrow

This game might be the first real reason for me to get a Vita... soon.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bocam

@mutha3: For Persona 4? Vol 1 was ¥4200 ($52) it came with the full OP&ED songs and was usually discounted by at least ¥600. It's not that bad. For comparison Vol 1 of あの夏で待ってる is priced at¥7,350 ($92) and only comes with one episode.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By MikeFightNight

@FluxWaveZ: I can always depend on you for breaking Persona game news, I love it!

All the stuff they are adding sounds awesome. I am happy it's turning out to be more then just a straight port.

Hopefully the Vita will of dropped in price by the time it gets to North America.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Video_Game_King

Damn it. I'm torn. It seems stupid to get the PS2 version when this is a thing, but Fire Emblem: Awakening is getting a European release. 3DS or Vita? 3DS OR VITA!?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bocam

@Video_Game_King: You would need to get a European 3DS if you want to play Fire Emblem. I wonder what region the Moon is considered? I say get whatever comes out first.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By Animasta

@WatanabeKazuma said:

...And Nier has a gardening mechanic? You really do learn something new every day!

obviously you have never tried to make a pink moonflower

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Bocam:

I actually have to buy it all US. It's easier that way, since the British Us fuck up my translation equipment. (This shit was made back in the 50s, and it's pretty damn expensive to update.)

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bocam

@Video_Game_King:The 3DS is region locked then, and as of right now there's no way of getting around it. So guess you should get a Vita.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

"a third tier of evolved Personas"

I would think this is a little too important to be lumped in with something like new clothes.

That seems like a pretty big deal.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Video_Game_King

@LordXavierBritish said:

I would think this is a little too important to be lumped in with something like new clothes.

Wait, characters can change clothes in Persona 4? This changes everything.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bocam

@Video_Game_King: In Persona 3 you can have people wear maid outfits or have the males wear fundoshi. They took that out of Persona 4 for some reason.

Soren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Soren

Gardening in a Shin Megami Tensei game? I hope this means you can grow your own Golden Bough.

ugh that was painful

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mutha3

@Bocam said:

@mutha3: It's not that bad.

what are you talking about dude

That is still way too much money for one episode.

@Soren said:

I hope this means you can grow your own Golden Bough.

I'm afraid this completely flew over my head. What are you referencing?

(should I be thankful that I didn't get it?)

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@LordXavierBritish said:

It's already been confirmed a while ago, so it was just rattled off on the list as another piece of info that will be more detailed in Famitsu:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Soren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Soren

@mutha3: James Frazer, all day, every day. It was a pretty cringeworthy attempt at humor, I know.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Soren: Just learned what the Golden Bough is, but it'd be funny to see a plant named after it grow in your garden.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MikkaQ

@FluxWaveZ: Yeah but I remember the 90s and I still don't trust Japan not to keep their niche games to themselves. I always wait for an announcement before I start making any plans.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mutha3

@MikkaQ said:

@FluxWaveZ: Yeah but I remember the 90s and I still don't trust Japan not to keep their niche games to themselves. I always wait for an announcement before I start making any plans.

This is a silly position to hold. Atlus is Atlus, not "Japan" and they're not going to keep their (by far)biggest cashcow domestically when they bring over stuff like Devil Survivor 2 for the original DS in2012.

@Soren said:

@mutha3: James Frazer, all day, every day. It was a pretty cringeworthy attempt at humor, I know.

i don't even have a witty retort or whatever

oh god

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bocam

@mutha3: In comparison to what they usually charge. Though I'm pretty much used to paying those prices so I'm not bothered by it. I mean I payed $500 for six episodes of a certain anime BD box-set

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MikkaQ

@mutha3: Atlus is one of the good ones, obviously. I'm still waiting on about oh... half the Tales series, Mother 3, the PSP Yakuza game, the Samurai Yakuza game, etc.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mutha3

@MikkaQ said:

half the Tales series, Mother 3, the PSP Yakuza game, the Samurai Yakuza game, etc

Even if you ignore that Atlus had nothing to with those games-- I'd hardly call any off those games heavy-hitters for their respective companies....Like, at all. In fact, the only games you mention in that list that ever had any sort of good sales is the tales series. And that has been on a decline for years. I'm super impressed and thankful that Sega even bothered releasing Yakuza 4 in the west, honestly.

Honestly, wondering if P4G is hitting the western shores is roughly equivalent to wondering if a main series Mario game will.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MikkaQ

@mutha3 said:

@MikkaQ said:

half the Tales series, Mother 3, the PSP Yakuza game, the Samurai Yakuza game, etc

Even if you ignore that Atlus had nothing to with those games-- I'd hardly call any off those games heavy-hitters for their respective companies....Like, at all. In fact, the only games you mention in that list that ever had any sort of good sales is the tales series. And that has been on a decline for years. I'm super impressed and thankful that Sega even bothered releasing Yakuza 4 in the west, honestly.

Honestly, wondering if P4G is hitting the western shores is roughly equivalent to wondering if a main series Mario game will.

No, what? It's not even close, there's entire cities worth of people in difference in sales here. Also it doesn't matter if those aren't Atlus games, I was talking about Japanese companies in general. They tend not to bring over a great deal of stuff. I was just expressing my disappointment at that.

I realize that P4G is very likely coming here, but until there is a proper announcement, I'm gonna avoid coverage. I wouldn't understand any of it anyway.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mutha3

@MikkaQ said:

No, what? It's not even close, there's entire cities worth of people in difference in sales here.

Cities? Mario as a franchise has pushed 200 million copies. That's, like, 15 Netherlands right there or 2/3th of a USA. :P Persona's got a pitiful 3 mil. worldwide as a franchise if memory serves.

That's not what I'm saying, though. I'm saying Persona is to Atlus, as what Mario is to Nintendo-- its their biggest, most consistently-selling franchise. It makes no sense for them not to bring over a Persona game, and its irrelevant to bring up unrelated Japanese devs who probably had a great reason for not putting their games out in the west.

Only in some doomsday scenario where retailers refuse to carry Vita games, and Sony drops Vita PSN support or something, do I foresee Atlus not milking this.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By eirikr

@Soren said:

Gardening in a Shin Megami Tensei game? I hope this means you can grow your own Golden Bough.

ugh that was painful

More likely you'll be able to grow Soma in a closet with a timer.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Bocam

Altus is bringing the damn fighting game over. There's no chance P4G won't come over

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Siliconera's got some info up:

• Home gardening is done with Nanako
    • The planted seedlings that are grown give items (Makaracone => Makarakarn; Tetracone => Tetrakarn)
    • Kanji's third tier Persona is named "Take-jizaiten"
    • New event: Narukami playing with Nanako in the snow while Dojima watches on the January 2
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Andriasang's got more info on the stuff that's included in the Famitsu DX pack:

Sketch of Studio Hibari's psoter
    Sketch of Studio Hibari's psoter
    Sketch of Sogabe's poster (not too... into this one)
    Sketch of Sogabe's poster (not too... into this one)
    Sketch of Maeda's poster.
    Sketch of Maeda's poster.

Also:

Screen from the new opening animation
    Screen from the new opening animation
    New anime scene
    New anime scene
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By landon

Ya know, I would have been fine with this had they just had the regular game in HD with a few new events sprinkled throughout the game, but I really have to applaud them for packing it full of a bunch of brand new stuff to do.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By Phatmac

Still wish you could have the option to have a female protagonist in this version. Still sounds sweet, wish I had a Vita for it.

bbrcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By bbrcher

Thought I saw that Arena is being released at the same time in Japan and the US. If that's the case with Golden, I'll have a present from Atlus at my door on my birthday this year :)

MrAristocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MrAristocrates

@Phatmac: Mutha pointed out in a previous thread that it would alter the character dynamics too heavily to include a female protagonist, and I'm inclined to agree. In Persona 3, the characters were more separate, and interacted with each other more often than with you.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@MrAristocrates: I believe that's what Atlus themselves have stated too.

Starclopsofish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#49  Edited By Starclopsofish

Oh man. Mysterious Fox isn't going to like this at all. Not one bit.

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MysteriousFawx

@Starclopsofish: Infact I love it

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.