Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

Igor, your voice!

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By metalsnakezero

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah just saw that. Kinda bummed me out.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

What the hell!!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll never play the game, so I took a peek at those Youtube comments and it's changed for a reason.

peteycoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeah what? That's the first footage I've seen of the game, though. Looks really promising!

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been trying to avoid spoilers as much as possible since the Japanese version released, so I'm sure the information is out there, but my guess is there's a plot reason for his voice to be different. The Japanese voice actor for Igor died several years ago, so they had no choice but to recast him. They could have gone with a sound alike, but the drastic difference in the english voice leads me to believe they opted to have a significantly different voice and write that into the plot, necessitating a change in the English voice as well as the Japanese one.

Taesoawful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The japanese voice is also super-deep.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really hope there is a Japanese audio DLC. Probably gonna hold off playing it until then.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
    deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow that's a drastic change in voice for Igor. I kinda like it lol.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know, but It felt like all those voices belonged to the cat in this trailer.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I so called it. Everyone kept saying they wouldn't change his English voice just because they changed his Japanese voice (due to the original VA passing away), but the new Japanese voice was so dramatically different there's no way they could keep his old voice. They weren't even trying to make the new voice resemble the old one, which has intrinsic consequences on Igor as a character.

For all intents and purposes this is a brand new Igor. Throw all your expectations out the window.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Makes sense. Making a change to reflect the change in the Japanese version is the right call. Voice acting effects the essence of a character. When you want to do a good dub you should try your best to match the source. A change in the source should ave an effect on the dub.

somamilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am looking forward to this game as all the English voice acting has always been solid, and having the change in voice actor to reflect the Japanese change as others have said is a good choice.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shindig  Online

I look forward to being heartbroken a loveable child character is voiced by a seasoned 40-year old mother of three.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think this game and me is a fit.

Igor's voice...HAWHAWHAWHAW!!!!!!

Sorry about the old Voice actor.

PD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

Yeah, his new JP voice is also deep like this. Like others have said, I bet there's a plot reason besides the JP actor passing away. Notice how in both the English and Japanese trailers, his line is "Welcome to MY Velvet Room" as opposed to "THE Velvet Room."

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

How does that voice possibly fit the way he looks? It was already spot on so changing it seems strange.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Redhotchilimist

@pd: You saying we're maybe dealing with another Igor? It's very Metal Gear in here all of a sudden.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have a problem with them changing the voice actor, but they could not have gone with a more unfitting voice.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't bother me, really. I don't like how cheap his lip flaps look, though.

(Also still better than the Persona 3 version)

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultimately I'm not bothered by it but I wonder why they just didn't write a new character to replace igor.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jibanyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matatat: Igor's significant voice change in both the Japanese and English versions actually ties into the story and this particular iteration of Igor. He doesn't necessarily treat the P5 protagonist with the same amount of respect as the P3 or P4 protagonists.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu: Igor has been the only true constant throughout the whole series. He's the only character that goes all the way back to Persona 1. They could replace him, but it would be a big loss.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

I beat P5 in Japanese about a month ago and can confirm there is absolutely a plot driven reason behind the voice change in that version, so this is just the localization staying consistent with that element. They do some pretty neat stuff with the voice, stuff that's kind of impossible to pull off in the same way in English for a variety of reasons I won't get into to avoid spoiling people, but suffice it to say I'm very curious to see how New English Igor pans out in that version as well.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm looking through David Lodge's IMDB but I can't for the life of me remember where I remember his voice from most prominently.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

@ll_exile_ll:

Very light spoilers...

According to someone who has played the already released Japanese version, there is an in-game reason that Igor has a different voice.

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I read that yesterday.

Frankly, I am PISSED. THE FUCK. OFF.

There are two possibilities here:

1. The ATLUS USA Localization team is having a harder time with redo-ing the stylish-but-japanese UI text graphics and such than they expected. They didn't get started on that aspect of the game until the Japanese version went Gold. They need more time but don't want to say that this is the reason, so they're throwing in the original Japanese VA as an olive branch. If this is the case, that sucks but I guess there's nothing that can be done about it. I wish ATLUS/Index Japan did a better job of collaborating with their USA counterpart.
    2. Too many angry letter writing weeaboos wanted the Japanese audio track, so the Localization team has to get the Japanese dev team to work that into the Options menu of the game and basically refactor the possibility of being able to switch audio tracks. IF this is the case; Fuck you, Weeaboos.

Like, fucking seriously. The Japanese audio won't add that much to the game. I'm not going to play the game through English and then say "Gee whizz, I think I'll play the game again but this time in Japanese. I'm sure I'll gain some sort of special insight there!!" You're not. The ATLUS Localization team does a fine job of translating their games. There's nothing special to hearing the Japanese audio. But thanks to YOU, Angry-Letter-Writing-Weaboo, I gotta wait another two months on this nth-degree delayed game. You should've just imported the Japanese version, you fucks!

Avatar image for deactivated-63c06c6e81315
    deactivated-63c06c6e81315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@fitzgerald: You seriously think that option number 2 is even remotely plausible? Seriously? Maybe you could've done five seconds of research and spared us all of your childish and overly opinionated tirade.
    I WILL GLADLY TAKE MY JAPANESE AUDIO AND ENJOY IT! AND YOU CAN'T STOP ME!

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Giant_Gamer

I clicked on the video saying who cares about Igor voice?! I heard him and i was like WHAAAAAAT!

The voice doesn't suit the character at all. It is as if Yusokei had this same voice in one of P4 releases or Teddy.. or hell even Chie.

Stil buying the game though because who cares about Igor :p

Daveydave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If people just read some posts here there is a REASON his voice is different. All I am saying.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Zeik

@fitzgerald: You're no better than you're so called "weaboos".

I am a long time proponent of English dubs and will probably never play it with the Japanese dub, whether or not it's an option, but that doesn't mean there is a single reason to be upset that they are including it. Everyone should support the idea of dual-audio, whether or not it actually affects you, because it only enhances the potential of the product. There is literally nothing wrong with enjoying Japanese or English dubs over the other. Sub fans don't get a bad rap simply because they like listening to Japanese audio, it's because they're so often unwilling to accept and antagonistic toward English dubs and those who like them.

It is not always feasible to include dual-audio, and kicking up a fuss when it's not is when I have an issue with people, but when a developer announces they are able to include it everyone should celebrate, because it means everyone can simply enjoy the game to its fullest. Anything that lessens the number of dub vs sub arguments is a miracle unto the world.

Japanese audio is not something you simply throw into a game as compensation at the last minute. That requires time working out licensing deals in advance, so they obviously had it in the works before this announcement. But it also doesn't take 2 whole months to actually add dual-audio to a game, and even if it did that wouldn't require them to delay the whole game, given that it's going to be DLC. They could release the game as is in Feb. and then the DLC in April. That is not why the game is delayed, so don't make up baseless conjecture to justify a pointless hissy fit.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fitzgerald: Good lord you need to calm down. It's just 2 more months. There's no need to get all worked up about "weaboos"

drew327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finished the game.... ah Ha!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.