Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

Main character backstory - minor spoiliers

oekintaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ok, so this might be a bit premature of me to be complaining about since I've only played about 3 hours of the game so far, but am I the only one who finds the backstory for why the main character has to move to Tokyo really weird? I mean, the dude get's sued for trying to help out this woman that is obviously getting assaulted. Maybe this is something that get's explained in more detail later on? Or is it some sort of cultural thing that I am not picking up on here? Other than that the game has been a blast so far.

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It gets deeper later on

wlleiotl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ive played less than you but the guy looked like a politician or highly powered businessman, i don't really see how it goes any other way when all the police have are statements

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dudes a big shot and it's his word against a couple of randos so yeah that all played out as one might expect.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

He's not getting sued, he got booked and now has a criminal record. No schools in his town will accept him so he had to move.

oekintaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But why bother suing? Seems like a way to draw unnecessary attention to yourself if your a "big shot"?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oekintaro: He didn't, he was just booked for assault.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Theres an big thread about this already but you kinda have to expect stupid on all levels when playing Persona. And ofc. there will be more on this later on, what else are they gonna tell you during 100hours ;)

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The main character didn't get sued, he got charged with assault. Early on you hear the rich dude make the comment that he "owns the police force" and nothing would happen if the woman tried to report his actions to the police. Also, from what I played it seems like they are going to stretch the reveal of what happened of the course of the entire game. So, it might make more sense in another 50hrs.

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone who has responded to this is correct, but I will grant you that it is very poorly set up. They don't really draw out the logic of it as much as they should in that first hour, but they loop back around.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean maybe it's the world we live in politics wise, but I don't think it's all that silly,

when he says stuff like how he owns the police force and when he rules this country, kinda just figured that (a) he's a politician or someone with "power" (b) he's very clearly gonna be back in the story later on

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

The story seems a little off because all of it has not been revealed yet.

Japan also has a much different culture when it comes to police and criminals. They don't have a jury system, and the conviction rate is 99%. Luckily crime is low and rarely do these prove to be issues in people's lives, but once accused it can be very hard to shake the stigma, either socially or in the justice system. There are a number of good documentaries about this in Japan.

The school system is also a bit different, though I know less about that. I do know that it wasn't that long ago that physical punishment was accepted in the school system, though that may have been a case of 'accepted but not strictly approved.' I believe the situation has changed there.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Superkenon

From the quick look I thought the point was delivered almost a little too heavy-handedly, with the guy actually talking out loud about what an untouchable big shot he was. Thanks for the exposition, doucheboat?

The situation is undoubtedly unfair for the protagonist, but his frustratingly-undeserved reputation seems to very much be the point.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@superkenon: Welcome to the whole game. It's all heavy-handed bullshit from here on out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.