Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

NA release date Feb 14 2017

• 113 results
    sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By sodapop7

Didn't see this posted yet but delete if I missed it. Looks like it's next year after all. Super bummed I won't be playing this year.

It's up for preorder on Amazon. Collectors edition up there too I think.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Called it!

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Boo!

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ChrisTaran

1. Awesome to finally have a release date

2. While the collectors isn't nearly as good as the Japanese one, still looks great

3. 6 months of avoiding spoilers from the Japanese launch is going to be hell

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to add to the OP - this was announced by Atlus themselves and not a word about Europe

IRVINE, Calif. - June 7, 2016 - The jig is up for the Phantom Thieves on February 14, 2017, when the next numbered entry in the award-winning Persona series makes its debut in the Americas. ATLUS’ Persona Japanese role-playing game series will be released exclusively on the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 consoles, and is available to pre-order now. Besides the PS3 game there will be a special PS4 SteelBook® Launch Edition as well as a limited “Take Your Heart” Premium Edition. Find out more details here:atlus.com/persona5.

The details of the two limited PS4 editions of the games are:

SteelBook Launch Edition - PlayStation 4 only ($59.99/CA$79.99)

Available only to PS4 pre-orders and a limited number of day-one purchases, while supplies last.

• SteelBook: The PS4 version will come specially packaged in a SteelBook collectible case, emblazoned with Persona 5 designs.

“Take Your Heart” Premium Edition - PlayStation 4 only ($89.99/CA$109.99)

Exclusive to the PS4 version of the game, the premium edition includes the following:

• Soundtrack CD: A selection of music from Persona 5 by legendary series composer Shoji Meguro in a CD wallet featuring P5 artwork.
    • Morgana plush: Morgana the cat is not just the mascot of the Phantom Thieves, but is also a member—and also not just a cat! The premium edition includes an exclusive 4" plush of Morgana.
    • 64-page hardcover art book: This art book is full of concept sketches, character art, and more by character designer Shigenori Soejima.
    • SteelBook: As strong as a vault, the game disc for the PS4 will come specially packaged in a SteelBook collectible case, emblazoned with Persona 5 designs.
    • School bag: Designed after the traditional school bags in Japan, the exclusive replica bag comes complete with the Shujin Academy crest.
    • Collectible outer box: Easily the largest premium edition in ATLUS’ history, the entirety of the “Take Your Heart” Premium Edition comes in a colossal collectible box.

Persona 5 is a game about the internal and external conflicts of a group of troubled high school students - the protagonist and a collection of compatriots he meets in the game’s story - who live dual lives as Phantom Thieves. They have the typically ordinary day-to-day of a Tokyo high schooler: attending class, after-school activities, and part-time jobs. But they also undertake fantastical adventures by using otherworldly powers to enter the hearts of people. Their power comes from the Persona, the Jungian concept of the “self”; the game’s heroes realize that society forces people to wear masks to protect their inner vulnerabilities, and by literally ripping off their protective mask and confronting their inner selves do the heroes awaken their inner power, and using it to help those in need. Ultimately, the group of Phantom Thieves seeks to change their day-to-day world to match their perception and see through the masks modern society wears.

Persona 5 will release on Feb. 14, 2017 in the Americas, for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3. Pre-orders are now available at participating retailers. The game is not yet rated by the ESRB. For more information, please visit the official website,atlus.com/persona5

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My heart is broken. Ironic with the game coming out on valentine's day :P

KirkyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just remember--it could always be worse. You could be European, like me.

We don't even have a release date yet... And, with how screwy Persona/SMT publishing can be over here, there's a non-zero chance it just won't get an official release. Even importing isn't a sure thing--Atlus region locked Arena, after all.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
    Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Well I was kind of expecting this so I'm not too disappoint but it is frustrating how Atlus USA is constantly breaking their word on when this game will be released.

3. 6 months of avoiding spoilers form the Japanese launch is going to be hell

Yeah... That is going to be rough.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kirkyx: maybe a dumb question but I didn't know the PS4 could be region locked? Only game I've tried is PuyoPuyo Tetris but maybe only the Europe ones are. But still it is pretty lame not to give an EU date as well.

bboymaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Mannnnnn

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By Atwa

Lots of people said this year, but I was sure it was going to be 2017.

@kirkyx said:

Just remember--it could always be worse. You could be European, like me.

We don't even have a release date yet... And, with how screwy Persona/SMT publishing can be over here, there's a non-zero chance it just won't get an official release. Even importing isn't a sure thing--Atlus region locked Arena, after all.

The only reason P4A was region locked, was to stop Japanese people from importing it from the US, since its cheaper to do so in Japan sometimes. And fighting games they wouldn't care about the text.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

It's later than I like but at least we finally get a release date. I never preorder games, but that steelbook seems mighty tempting.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

This sucks, but it'll be worth the wait.

KirkyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodapop7: They generally aren't, but the same was true of PS3 games, and yet they still locked Arena.

Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Bummed it won't make it out for Christmas but the premium edition goodies soothe the wound a bit. Giving it time to breathe from FFXV and the holiday blockbusters is probably a good idea as well.

If anyone wants to secure their pre-order a while someone posted the link over on Gamefaqs - http://www.amazon.com/Persona-PlayStation-Take-Your-Heart-Premium/dp/B01GKHJPAC?ie=UTF8&keywords= persona%205&qid=1465302090&ref_=sr_1_13&s=videogames&sr=1-13

The links on Atlus' page didn't work for me and it didn't come up when searching on Amazon for some reason.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, at least it's nice to finally have a date. Hopefully it's up for pre-order on Best Buy soon.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does Australia have to be in Europe in Atlus warped view of the world.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Technician

Yeah I'll always appreciate transparency over dates even if I don't like the date itself. Happy to get the confirmation - they better stick to it though.

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God damnit Atlus. I had resigned myself to December. Fucking February??

Ughhhhhh!

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The real winner here is Final Fantasy XV.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let the thirsting begin.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JohnTunoku

Man, I understand Atlus' localization team is really good and a good translation of this sort of game takes time, but that is a pretty intense delay for a game that has a large western audience. Definitely preferable to a bad localization but I had hoped we'd get it in 2016 at least.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Arggg, it has been such a long wait already; but, February will be here before we know it.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure was cool of Atlus to lie to us again and it still has the 5-6 month wait they said it wouldn't have. On top of the let's fuck PS3 buyers by not letting them get the limited edition because we also hate money. Man I never though I could be so bummed about a Persona 5 release date. Can't wait until I'm even more disappointed when they don't have dual audio.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, looks like I can dedicate the rest of the year into finishing P3: FES and second playthrough of P4G.

Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesushammer: If you want the collectors edition goodies why not just buy it and then sell the PS4 copy it comes with and use that money for the PS3 version? As for dual audio neither P3 or P4 had that as I recall so I'm not sure why you would expect that to change.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Collectors edition already unavailable on Amazon.

section09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blannir said:

@jesushammer: If you want the collectors edition goodies why not just buy it and then sell the PS4 copy it comes with and use that money for the PS3 version? As for dual audio neither P3 or P4 had that as I recall so I'm not sure why you would expect that to change.

That's kind of a lame work around and I still have to pay more for it and pay $140 dollars upfront. Even then I don't get all of it because PS3 gets no steelbook case. On dual audio yeah I would expect them to make a change many people have been asking for since Persona 3. Especially when the Japanese voice cast is full of ridiculously good talent in P5.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By wchigo

Gives me more time to play through FFXV, but still pretty bummed when I saw the news.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GAME OF THE YEAR! Oh wait.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By nightriff

Looks like I'll take the wife out on the 13th instead

EDIT: Preordered on Amazon, got the collectors edition and nearly saved $20, thanks Prime!

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By hermes

@sodapop7: They aren't locked up by hardware. To make a game region locked, the developers have to make it that way.

Unfortunately, Atlus is one of the few ones that cares to do it.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's nice to finally have a set date. Hopefully they won't delay it closer to release.

Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Blannir

@jesushammer: I mean yeah it is extra leg work but if you really want the collectors items it's an option for you. I'm not sure where you're located but most places you pre-order don't charge you until it ships so you could lock in now and just put a few bucks away every month so it isn't one big hit. If you happen to have Amazon Prime you get 20% off pre-orders which helps and I believe Best Buy has a similar program.

I know dual-language options are really important to some folks but I'm guessing the extra time/money needed to make it happen just isn't worth it to a smaller company like Atlus.

Edit: Pre-Orders up on Gamestop get it before the scalpers do! - http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/persona-5-take-your-heart-edition/131357

bloodlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Then i'll guess it wont be out in Europe until 2018.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a rough delay, but oh well.

So can anyone confirm that the collector's edition is SOLD OUT on Amazon and not just "not up yet" (this happened with Tokyo Mirage Sessions for a while)? Bummed I happened to need to leave this morning just in time to miss that, if so. Pre-ordered it from Game Stop for now but that's significantly more expensive for me and would prefer getting it from Amazon...

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@epidehl: I tried to order when I woke up at 9 today and received an "your item is no longer available. Please choose a different seller" message in my cart. If you really want it just keep an eye on it. It might really be out and the page hasn't updated yet, or it might just be an issue with their system checking the stock remaining. They usually restock at least once though so I doubt this is your only chance.

cettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By cettu

@epidehl: @mezza: @blannir: Relax, y'all.

I'm also rooting for dual-audio. Hopefully they're using some of this time on implementing it.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cettu: Alright cool, that's what I figured might be the case. Set up an e-mail alert and I'll just leave the page open to check back now and then. I can always cancel the GameStop order so it's not a big deal.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I'll take it (he says, being in Europe and knowing that we may very well get it even later). It's actually probably a little earlier than I was suspecting it might be, plus it means I won't have to split my time with FF XV so that game should actually have a chance in my schedule (otherwise I'd have probably left FF until after I'd finished P5).

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's okay, I didn't want to go on the internet for the entirety of fall and winter anyway. Might as well just learn how to hibernate.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Sucks that they aren't able to get it out worldwide by the end of the year. Sadly, I'm that surprised about the lack of European news since Atlus lost their European publisher, NIS America, in April earlier this year.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The collector's edition seems to be back up on Amazon btw.

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
    SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

6 months is nothing compared to the wait we had for Persona 1 and 2.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least we know it's coming out now, i'ts been what 10 years already? So what's another one, hopefully the game is worth the wait

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

9 years since the last official game in the series. Damn.

Kind of wish we had some info on the PS3 version, as I still haven't bought a PS4.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#48  Edited By Siphillis

"Take Your Heart" edition sold out on Amazon within 90 minutes. Really glad I grabbed one. Now I just need to figure out how to cryogenically freeze myself until February.

JunkerWoland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sooner would have been nice, but whatever.

The bigger disappointment for me is the absence of mentioning a Japanese-audio option, which I'm gonna take as the answer to whether it'll be a feature. I was hoping ATLUS would soften a bit on their dual audio stance. I understand why the game's primary audio has to be English; I just don't think that's how I want to play "Persona" games anymore and not sure I'm up for slogging through an import.

Otherwise, it'd also be nice if they gave people looking to pre-order/day-one the physical regular edition the option to buy the standard case artwork. If the final art for the steelbook is anything like the current main-character-with-gun image, that's definitely not the cover I'd want.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Zeik

@hermes said:

@sodapop7: They aren't locked up by hardware. To make a game region locked, the developers have to make it that way.

Unfortunately, Atlus is one of the few ones that cares to do it.

Arena was only region locked due to several very specific circumstances that don't apply to this game, the primary one being that it was a simultaneous release (with dual audio and text) and they were trying to prevent cheap imports. There's zero chance it's going to be region locked with a 6 month release difference and region specific text and audio.

Another reason it won't happen is because they're no longer owned by a financially desperate Index. People seem to have forgotten/did not realize that shortly after that fiasco happened Index went under and SEGA had to buy out Atlus.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.