Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

Persona 5 Announced

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#201  Edited By toowalrus

So Persona 5 is the official game title? I guess they've officially dropped the SMT from the name. I know they have as well with P4G, P4A etc, but it's weird not seeing it on a numbered Persona game. It's too bad, I kind of like the way Shin Megami Tensei rolls off the tongue.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#202  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@toowalrus said:

So Persona 5 is the official game title? I guess they've officially dropped the SMT from the name. I know they have as well with P4G, P4A etc, but it's weird not seeing it on a numbered Persona game. It's too bad, I kind of like the way Shin Megami Tensei rolls off the tongue.

SMT was never part of the Persona name in Japan. It was only added to the localized versions of Persona outside of Japan because they felt it would give the series more brand recognition for western fans. After the success of Persona 4, however, that is no longer necessary.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

The series has never been called Shin Megami Tensei: Persona in Japan. That is purely the North American marketing. In Japan, the Persona series has largely been name independent save the first, which was called Megami Ibunroku Persona. It still belongs to the Megami Tensei franchise in the overall scheme of things.

Oobir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#204  Edited By Oobir
    No Caption Provided

Gotta say, I have to agree with contemporary newspaper reviews that this was not up to his usual standards of eloquence.

@toowalrus said:

I think the direct SMT connection was not made in the Japanese versions of P3/P4, so there's always the chance that the English localization will add it in again. I doubt it, though, considering the increased power of the Persona brand. EDIT: beaten

KaizoChrono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By KaizoChrono

Kinda frustrated that its on PS3. I mean I would assume that a large amount of people would move to PS4 and it just seems kinda late to release a big JRPG at the end of a generation.

It wont stop me from getting a PS3 just for this though :l

roninenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By roninenix

@kaizochrono: Persona 4 came out in 2008 in the US i believe. or Late 2007, that was already some time into the life of the PS3/360/Wii.

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much expected it for ps3 and if not that maybe even Vita. Either way, I'm pretty happy that it is the way it is, cause I'd rather not get a ps4 yet.

Apsup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roninenix: 2008 is right.

I think that this is perfect time to public a PS3 game. I'm sure that next year it's trivial to find really affordable used PS3 to finally play all those exclusives that I've missed and P5 when it comes out.

I rather have more reasons to buy old and cheap console than new and expensive one.

Avatar image for differenceengine
    DifferenceEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm very disappointed in Atlus.

So let me get this straight, Atlus releases a spin off title (P4: Arena) and a risky title in the form of Catherine as multiplats, but the latest addition to a major franchise as an exclusive? Natch! Wow, keep up the good work Atlus! Way to cut out a big portion of your audience. Oh well, perhaps by the time its released the PS3 will be down to $100. Still, this decision is just mind boggling.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By Darji

So let me get this straight, Atlus releases a spin off title (P4: Arena) and a risky title in the form of Catherine as multiplats, but the latest addition to a major franchise as an exclusive? Natch! Wow, keep up the good work Atlus! Way to cut out a big portion of your audience. Oh well, perhaps by the time its released the PS3 will be down to $100. Still, this decision is just mind boggling.

Here is the problem. It is in fact not a big portion of their audience since these games just did not sell on the 360. That is why they decided this to not do.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't think we have any sales numbers for Catherine besides 500,000 between both platforms (I think that's just in the US) via http://www.gamespot.com/articles/catherine-tops-500000-units-sold/1100-6341146/

church069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Bummed about no 360, or next-gen versions, I guess I have to hold on to the PS3 a little longer.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's doubtful that "a big portion" of their audience was ever on the 360. They're not even producing a 360 version of Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, apparently.

kiapurity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My thoughts on the trailer: Hot damn, finally something!
    Then I remembered Persona's usage of the color themes and wondered what Red in this case could mean. P3 was blue (and it seemed to be more of a sad game to me) while ... P4 was yellow and yeah, you know P4. Just P4. XD

Waiting is going to hurt but I'm just so glad to finally get some news about P5! :D

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys are acting like there wont eventually also be a PSN version, a Vita version, and a PS4 version. Maybe even a 3DS version. They're not making those versions now cus they need a gold/FES version to sell you next season.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@golguin said:

They have to make a 360 version as well right? The announcement was made for the Japanese so there would be no reason to mention the 360 version in the trailer. Someone tell me there will be a 360 version.

Sure. There have always been XBox SMT: Persona games. Why wouldn't Persona 5 be on 360? RIght...

DifferenceEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@differenceengine said:

It's doubtful that "a big portion" of their audience was ever on the 360. They're not even producing a 360 version of Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, apparently.

This isn't 2003. Sony hardware has long ceased being the exclusive home to JRPGs. Apparently Square-Enix believed expanding to other platforms was a good idea. It's moves like these that will keep Atlus small-time and that's because of their small-time mentality.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@differenceengine said:

This isn't 2003. Sony hardware has long ceased being the exclusive home to JRPGs. Apparently Square-Enix believed expanding to other platforms was a good idea. It's moves like these that will keep Atlus small-time and that's because of their small-time mentality.

Or maybe Atlus found that their 360 ports didn't sell enough to justify multiplatform releases of these titles? Square Enix can do it because they're a large company whose most popular franchises dwarf the sales of Atlus's most successful IPs. Atlus is not a Square Enix. They never were.

DifferenceEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@differenceengine said:
    @hailinel said:

@differenceengine said:

Or maybe Atlus found that their 360 ports didn't sell enough to justify multiplatform releases of these titles? Square Enix can do it because they're a large company whose most popular franchises dwarf the sales of Atlus's most successful IPs. Atlus is not a Square Enix. They never were.

They're SEGA, and that's what makes this move even more confounding. Surely neo-SEGA is doing better than the late Index Corp. right?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By Darji

@hailinel said:

@differenceengine said:
    @hailinel said:

@differenceengine said:

They're SEGA, and that's what makes this move even more confounding. Surely neo-SEGA is doing better than the late Index Corp. right?

So what if they are Sega? They are doing the same with the Yakuza IP. Special Japanese games do just not sell on the 360. Especially not ow anymore. It is q smart financial decision they made.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course people would complain no matter what platform the game would end up on, especially if they didn't own it.

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Has a translation popped up anywhere yet explaining what Teddie or the Japanese woman were talking about for so long during the stream?

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#223  Edited By dagas

They release it when the PS4 is already out. Oh well, better late than never. The Persona games for PS2 came out when PS3 had already been out for awhile.

@golguin said:

They have to make a 360 version as well right? The announcement was made for the Japanese so there would be no reason to mention the 360 version in the trailer. Someone tell me there will be a 360 version.

I doubt it since apart from Catherine I don't think they have released any game for the 360. But if you need a PS3 it should be super cheap by the time it comes out.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#224  Edited By Superkenon

@differenceengine: With a few exceptions, the 360 just isn't the platform to release your Japanese games on. Quite a number of Japanese developers got burned trying during this last generation, so I can't blame them for shying away.

Atlus knows they're a niche company in the west, and yet they tend to profit because they don't try to pretend otherwise -- unlike companies like Namco or Squeenix who keep taking a bath trying to pass off their titles as mainstream here.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By Zeik

@differenceengine said:

@hailinel said:

@differenceengine said:

Atlus has expanded to plenty of other platforms at this point. They've released games on basically every major console at this point except the new ones. If they had just been stubbornly sticking to a single console it would be one thing, but the decision to not release a 360 version at this point is a clear indication that the profit wasn't there. (Atlus is not the only one dropping 360 support btw.) You can't just say "Oh, well Square-Enix did it so obviously it makes sense for everyone." Atlus is not Square and their games don't sell like Square games. Releasing them on more consoles would not suddenly make them sell like Square games either. (Also it's probably worth noting that Square has had a number of profit issues as of late.)

You also have to consider the fact that Microsoft does not support their old consoles well after their next consoles launch. Once the 360 hit they dropped support for the Xbox like a bad habit. Apart from cross-gen games and a few others in the near future I don't know of much of anything coming out for the 360 in the future, I can only imagine what it will be like once P5 actually hits the US.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Has a translation popped up anywhere yet explaining what Teddie or the Japanese woman were talking about for so long during the stream?

Not that I've seen. Probably won't be one since it was so long, too.

Video, for reference.

roninenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#228  Edited By Cincaid

Right now I'm mostly feeling disappointment since the Twitter of american Atlus haven't said a word regarding the announcement. They tweet quite frequently, but so far they haven't said a word about Persona 5. Of course I might be reading too much into their silence, but it could also be that they might not know very much more than we do about the title. Either they're just keeping it as a "a secret" for now, or they're simply waiting for more information from Japan. Sigh. :(

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cincaid said:

Right now I'm mostly feeling disappointment since the Twitter of american Atlus haven't said a word regarding the announcement. They tweet quite frequently, but so far they haven't said a word about Persona 5. Of course I might be reading too much into their silence, but it could also be that they might not know very much more than we do about the title. Either they're just keeping it as a "a secret" for now, or they're simply waiting for more information from Japan. Sigh. :(

Atlus USA does not typically make announcements regarding games that the Japanese office has just announced. This behavior is normal for them.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#230  Edited By Cincaid

@hailinel: Ah, thanks for clarifying that! Guess I'm making a big deal over nothing then, hehe.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By ervonymous

They must be working with a new engine so hopefully we get some drastically different shadow designs, masks on basic 3D models are getting stale. I'd prefer new and shiny models for classic demons but they've established shadows as the new fodder enemies with 3 and 4.

@bocam said:

@yummylee said:

You should try Persona 2. It has no voice acting and the characters are actually good.

Chinyan, Ngh Hoh Yi! It also has trivial & slow paced combat, card hoarding and no time management.

Avatar image for deactivated-5998b7e12fabb
    deactivated-5998b7e12fabb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know this site would have a largely US userbase, but do you think now with Sega owning Index (and Atlus by extension) that European localisation will be quicker with Sega dealing with Europe/PAL territories itself and Atlus USA largely spearheading the western localisation to a large extent or do you think Sega will end up holding it up?

I know it's probably hard to tell right now but I'd like to envision a scenario where the EU release takes a lot less time than before.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaddixbell said:

I know this site would have a largely US userbase, but do you think now with Sega owning Index (and Atlus by extension) that European localisation will be quicker with Sega dealing with Europe/PAL territories itself and Atlus USA largely spearheading the western localisation to a large extent or do you think Sega will end up holding it up?

I know it's probably hard to tell right now but I'd like to envision a scenario where the EU release takes a lot less time than before.

Honestly it's really hard to say anything about the future of their localizations right now. In a perfect world Atlus USA will still localize all their games and then SEGA will take charge of the EU release to get it out their quickly. But I still can't help but have a sinking feeling that eventually they'll just ditch Atlus USA for (inferior) in-house localizations while still dragging their feet on overseas releases. Here's hoping it's the former.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Interesting that they considered Persona 5 strongly enough to ask for it.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By Crembaw

Yeah their European release schedules are still really fucked up/non-existent. You guys still haven't gotten SMT: Strange Journey, right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de
    deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crembaw said:

@vaddixbell said:

Yeah their European release schedules are still really fucked up/non-existent. You guys still haven't gotten SMT: Strange Journey, right?

Nope, and we haven't got Shin Megami Tensei IV either. And there was a 1-and-a-half-year gap between the NA and EU releases of both Devil Survivor 2 and 4 Arena

To be honest, I'm not even sure we're going to even get Persona 5 and Q.... :(

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crembaw said:

@vaddixbell said:

Nope, and we haven't got Shin Megami Tensei IV either. And there was a 1-and-a-half-year gap between the NA and EU releases of both Devil Survivor 2 and 4 Arena

Well... Atleast ps3 isn't regionlocked, so we can import persona 5. Persona Q though, not so much... Well, we got SMT: devil summoner and etrian odyssey 4 last fall, they were late but they got here, and I think that persona is a bigger franchise than both of those, so hopefully they'll think the same way.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karmosin said:

@steamrickroller said:
    @crembaw said:

@vaddixbell said:

Well... Atleast ps3 isn't regionlocked, so we can import persona 5. Persona Q though, not so much... Well, we got SMT: devil summoner and etrian odyssey 4 last fall, they were late but they got here, and I think that persona is a bigger franchise than both of those, so hopefully they'll think the same way.

I swear to God if Persona 5 isn't release in Europe or the US I'm going to start learning Japanese. I just want to play it so fucking badly.

But yeah, it's a blessing that PS3 isn't region-locked. I'm still pissed off at Nintendo for doing nothing to fix region-lock, but I think I can live as long as I can play P5.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@karmosin said:

@steamrickroller said:
    @crembaw said:

@vaddixbell said:

I swear to God if Persona 5 isn't release in Europe or the US I'm going to start learning Japanese. I just want to play it so fucking badly.

But yeah, it's a blessing that PS3 isn't region-locked. I'm still pissed off at Nintendo for doing nothing to fix region-lock, but I think I can live as long as I can play P5.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Region-locked_PlayStation_3_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fattony12000 said:
    @steamrickroller said:

@karmosin said:

@steamrickroller said:
    @crembaw said:

@vaddixbell said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Region-locked_PlayStation_3_games

No Caption Provided

Well, fuck.

Still, I think if Atlus were that adamant about region-lock, we'd have waaaaaaaaaaaay less SMT games in the West, so I'm gonna try and have faith and pray that P5 and Q will come over here

Although, on the other hand, now that Sega owns them... D:

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.