Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

Should the player character talk?

• 57 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Poll Should the player character talk? (364 votes)

Sure! 40%
    Absolutely not. Legos shouldn't, too. 40%
    Who cares? 19%

Obviously Persona 3 and 4 were made a long time ago and there isn't any indication of the main character not speaking yet, but I still feel like this is an interesting conversation to have. I've been rewatching the P4 Anime and that then encouraged me to pick up my late game save of Persona 3 FES that I didn't get through this summer. Swapping between the two is pretty jarring, but not for the obvious reasons of one being Persona 4 and one being Persona 3, or one being a game, and the other an anime. (The games never gives story through gameplay, so essentially one is just an uglier anime.) In the games you feel like a teenage ghost who someone pays attention to at the end of scene just to make sure you're awake. You're kind of just passively watching other characters have conversations you should be an active part in and you usually see them talk all, every, and which way around you. Since every girl in that group is your ride-or-die and every guy your best amigo due to S. Links, that doesn't feel right. A lot of that has to do with the poor dialogue trees (they're more like a dialogue sunflowers), a side effect of having a pretty linear story with no divergence. That's okay, they weren't (probably still aren't) trying to make a Mass Effect or a Walking Dead, but there's still a pretty easy way to get the player to feel more involved and make the story feel dynamic and more natural. A lot of this ignoring of the main character seems to come from his/her most obvious handicap; the lack of a voice for the others to interact with. Along with that, the fact that you don't have a set name. So, I'd propose the Mass Effect style of having a set voice and just having all the supporting characters call you by a last name that is preset. Say hello to Shepard-kun? Of course they could just have the entire name preset, too. I just feel like that would go a long way in distracting you from realizing how useless the dialogue sunflowers are and freeing the writers from being scared of having you play an actual part.

• 
    Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Man this is a close one.But No.

If Fallout 4's dialogue system is any indication we need less spoken dialogue but more dialogue options. I'd be fine with spoken dialogue provided it didn't restrict the options but...in my experience it does so no.

SilverGlyph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't matter to me at all.

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends if it limits the options or not. I feel games include less dialogue options if they have to record lines for each one as opposed to a silent protag where it is just text.

elyhaym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna have to go with no on this one. It feels easier to immerse myself in a silent protagonist than a voiced one (not saying it's impossible with voiced, just saying there's a difference for me anyway).

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's personal preference and I know that there's a place for this kind of thing, but I'd love a main character that is an actual defined character themselves and not just an audience stand-in.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By szlifier

I'm pretty sure they talked in Lego Island.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By Dixavd

I don't remember this thread at all but congrats to past me for choosing the 'who cares?' option.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.