Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Phobia

Concept »

A phobia is an irrational fear of something that can be concrete or abstract. Many video games have characters deal with their phobias.

What are you irrationally afraid of?

• 117 results
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Dany

For me at least, when I drive on the highway where I am speeding maybe 80 mph, and I get stuck between a semitruck and another car on my left and right. That is literally the worst feeling for me. It feels like I am being constricted in a room that is getting smaller. My heart rate goes up, I stress and tense up. Totally not a cool moment to be a passenger in my car when that happen.

So how about you scardy-cats? What makes you squeal like a pig?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By musubi

Driving. I was in two pretty bad car crashes when ai first started driving and large unfamiliar intersections freak me the fuck out. Mostly because I dont want to fuck up and hurt someone else. Driving in winter in particular is bad for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I'm terrified of planes, getting on a plane is probably the worst fear I have ever felt, and the funny thing is, as a kid I used to fly all the fucking time.

Ever since my friend had passed in a helicopter crash my fear has been overwhelming, it sucks.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Simplexity

Being in a closed tight space freaks me the fuck out.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'm not falling for that shit.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Bwast

Life.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Dany said:

For me at least, when I drive on the highway where I am speeding maybe 80 mph, and I get stuck between a semitruck and another car on my left and right. That is literally the worst feeling for me. It feels like I am being constricted in a room that is getting smaller. My heart rate goes up, I stress and tense up. Totally not a cool moment to be a passenger in my car when that happen.

But if you.. slow down, let the car on your right pass you and then flash the signal and go to the right lane (instead of being in the middle lane, if I understand you correctly), then problem solved! 
    You don't have to remain in the middle, do you?
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

Bees, and for two reasons.

1) When I was young - like real young, maybe 4 - I kicked at one and it stung me directly under my toenail. This started the fear.

2) When I was about 6, I was playing Donkey Kong Country 2 and I came across this motherfucker:

and ran, screaming, out of the house. I did eventually beat it, though.

EDIT: Ah, fuck. You can't see it well in that video because the guy runs too fast. Anyway, when you drop down that pit and the music changes, a GIGANTIC bee comes right behind you. And I mean HUGE.

EDIT 2: Found a better video. Fast forward to 7:10

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dany

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Dany said:

But if you.. slow down,

Whats this? slow.....down?

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#10  Edited By KillyDarko

Nothing original here, I'm afraid. It's just them needles, I think ^^
    Whenever I need to take a shot or do some blood tests or whatever, I get all anxious and stressed, but then I barely even feel it-- it's silly and it's a 100% psychological thing, but yeah... needles.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Morrow

Happiness.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By napalm

Heights. Fuck heights.

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

Sharks. Though I'm yet to find myself in a situation where I was confronted by one. I just know that if I ever was I would push my own mother in if it ment my safety. I'm a terrible person I know.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By MistaSparkle

Being in movie theaters because for a small portion of the beginning of the movie I feel like someone behind me will hit me in the head with an axe.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kmdrkul

I have an irrational fear of being shat on by birds flying overhead. This in turn leads to my irrational hatred of birds in general.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Carryboy

I dont really have any irrational fears but my brother is terrified of baked beans.

rosebud04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rosebud04

Bees! i fucking hate Bees!

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By myke_tuna

Insect "faces". Not so much bugs themselves (not too worried about them), just their faces "staring" at me. I can eventually stare back at them after I get used to seeing them, but that first time they appear in front of me (like say the front page of Wikipedia as Picture of the Day), I freak out for a second.

Other than that, I have very rational fears.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Sambambo

Frogs.

I can't even explain why, but they make me freeze.

hyperfludd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By hyperfludd

Bees, swimming and pills. Fuck pills mannn.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RobotHamster

I've gotten better with this but being in a body of water where I can't see what's beneath me. Like in the ocean or a lake, not knowing what's under there always freaked me out.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By stryker1121

@Bucketdeth said:

I'm terrified of planes, getting on a plane is probably the worst fear I have ever felt, and the funny thing is, as a kid I used to fly all the fucking time.

Ever since my friend had passed in a helicopter crash my fear has been overwhelming, it sucks.

Fellow white-knuckle flyer here. Like many fears, the anticipation of getting on a plane is usually worse than the flight itself. I think the fear derives from a loss of control. Once you're strapped in your life is in someone else's hands. Being in a confined space surrounded by people doesn't help. I'm mostly OK after takeoff, but if there's turbulence, I start sweating. I'm not totally relaxed until landing. it helps to have a talkative seatmate tbh, anything to take your mind off the pressurized capsule you're trapped inside.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dany

@Hyperfludd said:

Bees, swimming and pills. Fuck pills mannn.

You need pills, whats wrong with pills?

@SuperSambo said:

Frogs.

I can't even explain why, but they make me freeze.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CGUQtwIwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DFjr3A_kfspM&ei=n33CT6DzGcPg2gWs1tBq&usg=AFQjCNGpdWo-VyfA-XfDTfYZpRvXVDoTCw

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Scrawnto

I have an irrational fear of heights. I get a little nervous just standing on a chair. If I'm on something seven feet off the ground, like a ladder or a fence, I get a bit shaky. Since I started practicing parkour I've gotten better at managing my fear, but even standing on a second floor balcony and looking down over the railing makes my stomach twist in knots. Oddly enough, flying in planes doesn't bother me at all. You get so high up that it all becomes sort of abstract, and it just stops affecting me.

@believer258: I was stung by a bee when I was four. I stepped on it while I was running barefoot. It was just before I went to Disney Land, and I had to be pushed around in a stroller because it hurt too much to walk for long. It sucked hard and was super embarrassing, but for some reason it seems to have had no lasting repercussions. I think I'm actually less afraid of bees and wasps than most people.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By freakin9

I still have heights as an issue, from falling down a flight of stairs as a child.

I do go through life pretending like it's not a issue, but it's a feeling that can't be helped.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Scrawnto

@RobotHamster said:

I've gotten better with this but being in a body of water where I can't see what's beneath me. Like in the ocean or a lake, not knowing what's under there always freaked me out.

Oh man, eff that. That doesn't sound like an irrational fear at all. Who knows what might be in there? Sharks? Crocodiles? Discarded fish hooks? Count me out.

CyborgDuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CyborgDuo

Deep water. There's a scene in Tomb Raider: Legend where you see very sudden movement when you're swimming in an underwater cave that totally didn't help. Anyone know it?

Grimmrobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Grimmrobe

Being around loud, annoying people.

Specifically frat boys.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jacdg

Spiders, even virtual ones, can't really play games with them, weird I know.

EvilKatarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By EvilKatarn

Spiders in real life make me so damn frightened. Working on getting over it.

Last time I saw one in my room I didn't even call my dad to throw it out. How's that for courageous?

It is still hanging out here I guess, but as long as it stays out of my business I think I'm cool with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stryker1121 said:

@Bucketdeth said:

Fellow white-knuckle flyer here. Like many fears, the anticipation of getting on a plane is usually worse than the flight itself. I think the fear derives from a loss of control. Once you're strapped in your life is in someone else's hands. Being in a confined space surrounded by people doesn't help. I'm mostly OK after takeoff, but if there's turbulence, I start sweating. I'm not totally relaxed until landing. it helps to have a talkative seatmate tbh, anything to take your mind off the pressurized capsule you're trapped inside.

Yeah I can tell you feel the same way as I do, being trapped in a giant metal tube flying through the sky isn't what I call a good time. The anxiety can be overwhelming, and I once had to get off the airplane before take-off, this was probably the most ashamed of myself I have ever felt. When in flight (if I get that far) I usually order a beer right away which takes away some of the anxiety and extreme nervousness.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I don't really know what my phobia is, but heights make me uncomfortable. Anyway it happened to me twice that i just woke up with the worst feeling of dread, i felt like i was dying. And i have no idea what i dreamed of.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going to have to agree with bees. Fuck them.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BonOrbitz

I have an incredibly irrational fear of spiders. My stomach gets nauseous when I see one, regardless of size.

Pocky4Th3Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pocky4Th3Win

Spider webs touching me. I have no problems with spiders or their webs but once it touches me I freak the fuck out. I scream like a little girl and run around. My fiance finds it hilarious.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By penguindust

Heights, although I don't think that's irrational. You fall, you die.

Crowds. This one I admit is irrational, but I just get anxious whenever I'm in a crowd of people. If they violate my personal zone of comfort, I try to distance myself from the offenders.

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By InternetCrab

Hornets. When you sit there minding your business with a open window, and you hear a buzz and those motherfuckers are in and they won't get out. Fuck that shit.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

Ever since watching the trailer for The Final Destination, I've always had a mild fear when walking past people mowing their lawns. What if they hit a rock or something and send it flying straight through my skull??

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#40  Edited By Yummylee

Everything.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By stryker1121

@Bucketdeth: For me, it's the confinement, loss of control and movement of the aircraft that bring the anxiety. To combat those feelings I get an aisle or bulkhead seat; anything to give me as much legroom as possible. I also bring my iPod to cut out some of the cabin and engine noise. Have you ever thought about consulting w/ your doctor to take a light sedative before flights? Not that I'd say go out and get Xanax or something, but it's something to look into w/ your doc if the fear is that extreme. Maybe something to help you fall asleep? (Just throwing this out there. I'm no doctor, but I have a couple of friends who will take a light sedative to get them thru flights and they're not drug addicts or anything )

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By matthias2437

Spiders. Fuck spiders. Like most people are afraid of them but I flip shit if a spider gets on me. Snakes don't bother me, no other bugs bother me, but fucking spiders get to me.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#43  Edited By Hailinel

Dead birds.

Yes, I am scared of a specific type of deceased animal.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#44  Edited By Dagbiker

Nothing, all my fears are based on science. But Swarms, like ants and bees, when i pick up somthing and it has ants all over it I freak.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Chop

Embarrassment

Let me explain. I'm sure nobody likes embarrassing themselves but for me, the fear of it is crippling. Social Anxiety, motherfuckers.

John_Lawlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By John_Lawlz

Suburbia.

Creme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Creme

Driving, and centipedes.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Nu disco, fear threads, and when a stranger stop hammertime's me when I'm not ready.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TheFreeMan

Being underground/in enclosed spaces fill me simultaneously with concern and wonder (usually). I generally have a worry that there's gonna be a cave-in, or something. Suffocation is up there on my list of I Hope I Don't Die This Way

Also - losing my hearing. Losing any sense would be awful but my ears ring every now and then (for totally mundane, easily remedied reasons) and the idea of having crippling tinnitus fucking terrifies me.

RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RadixNegative2

All insects, especially spiders and centipedes. Butterflies are ok as long as they stay at least 5 feet away.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.