Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PUBG: Battlegrounds

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 23, 2017

A survival-shooter led by the modder behind the Battle Royale mods for the ArmA series. It is one of the progenitors of the "battle royale" sub-genre, pitting 100 players in a large empty location where they must scavenge for weapons and fight to the death.

Branded Content in PUBG

PixelSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By PixelSoldier

Hey y'all,

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds has maintained its popularity in the months following its debut on Early Access and will eventually be coming to consoles. With the introduction of the Twitch-branded cosmetic gear available to players who link their Twitch accounts to the game I got to thinking about how that might evolve as the game gets closer to a full-release. The creator behind PUBG has already said he wants to keep the customization items in the game a little more grounded in PUBG's current para-military aesthetic than what has become available in King of the Kill, but I think that the Twitch stuff shows that there is some wiggle-room in how that aesthetic is defined.

Do you think that Microsoft and Sony would be interested in allowing for console-exclusive cosmetic items when the game is released on their respective platforms? What I'm imagining is something like Marcus Fenix's doo-rag being a possible item in the player-reward boxes, or Master Chief's helmet being a random skin for the Lvl. 3 helmet found in the world on XBox One. For the game's PS4 release I'd think that the Nathan Drake half-tuck baseball shirt, Helghast armor, or Days Gone protagonist biker-cut, might be fun additions to the options available to players.

As the game continues to grow on PC, I don't think it would be too far-fetched for cosmetic items to progress in a manner similar to how they did in Rocket League. Car flags featuring the, 'Kinda Funny,' and 'NoClip' logos began to show up several months after the game gained popularity. I think it would be inline for PUBG to do what they've already shown they're willing to do with the Twitch items. Given the games huge popularity as something to watch, as well as to play, I would imagine that including logo t-shirts from popular streamers seems to be smart, and a fun addition for fans of those streamers.

Wouldn't you want to have a, 'Murder Island,' t-shirt that you could wear in-game?

**EDIT**

I'm also aware that this kind of thing could go too far. For example, the Energy Drink is clearly Red Bull-inspired. Red Bull has previously shown a willingness to run video game promotions with Destiny. Would you find a prompt of, "Press 'F' to pick up Red Bull," untenable?

Also, if you can think of other thematically appropriate cosmetic items you'd like to see in the game let me know in this thread. I realize this is the most, "spitting in the wind," kind of topic, but let's have some fun here.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By WheresDerrick

There's a bunch of small features and bugs I'd like them to work on before going full customization. Luckily, that seems to be exactly what they are going to do (sans Twitch clothing)

Going beyond the release, I'd like them work on new weapons, vehicles, islands, and game modes before customization even more. I tend to be decked out in helmets, vests, and the obligatory duster and dustpan anyways, so having anything more would be pointless to me.

PixelSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By PixelSoldier

@wheresderrick: I wind up going the same way once I'm on the island for a while, but I still think there could be some fun in having distinctive clothing items for yourself. I'd get a kick out of having my pants and shirt look suspiciously like Solid Snake's sneaking suit, wouldn't you?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

As long as it doesn't turn into complete nonsense like H1Z1, I'm fine with it. As an aside, I don't think a PS4 version is actually confirmed yet.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I'm actually sad that I'm not able to get the twitch gear anymore. It's goofy as hell, but I like goofy. I also have no problems with product placement.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@themanwithnoplan: You can buy the pieces you want individually on the Steam Marketplace if you want them that badly.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

@mike: Hah, I'm not quite that desperate. Thanks though.

gobo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I want to be in a big Red Bull suit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.