Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PUBG: Battlegrounds

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 23, 2017

A survival-shooter led by the modder behind the Battle Royale mods for the ArmA series. It is one of the progenitors of the "battle royale" sub-genre, pitting 100 players in a large empty location where they must scavenge for weapons and fight to the death.

PUBG Invitational

bryson_shaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Did anyone watch the invitational today? I normally do not like Esports but, I really enjoyed this. I also do not have a PC and have never played PUBG. Although, this game has made this itch real bad.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Here are the final moments of the guy who finished in first place. Evermore, the hero that won a game, and used the tactic of "drive back to the spawn island for 2 games"

A hero

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ivdamke

It was a mess that highlighted a lot of why I think PUBG is a fun competitive game but not one to be taken seriously, especially in it's early access state. EVERMORE highlighted exactly why.

Also man I really hate ESL's highly serious production style, if everything was treated in a more light hearted manner this would be more fun to watch. I did still enjoy watching though.

El_Funko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pansy's casting was fantastic.

JayDubya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By JayDubya

The game is fun, and the Mary's 'Wiener-method' is apparently the best way to play. A shame that Evermore got to win it, especially how he died in the final match. Healing and stimming up long enough to finish on top. Some other players deserved it more.
    I wish they would add more points to kills just to counterplay such cheap strategies.

I hope the duo and squad tournament will be more fair.

bryson_shaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ivdamke: I noticed a moment when one of the players was driving a bike and he fliped it coming down a mountain and killed himself. The caster's went nuts laughing and at that moment it felt like a murder island stream and not this professional event. I know its hard to have that funny part and draw so much attention to it when that kind of money is on the line. These are people trying to make a living. At the same side, how did one guy fall off a building in like 2 of the 3 games and kill himself. These are supposed to be some of the best players!

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By stantongrouse

I hope broadcasters find a settled way to present the game, it's still a bit hard to follow a mass game from the start - easier to follow one team's story which I guess is why Twitch streamer viewings are so high.

I only got to watch the first round but it doesn't seem that they are quite there yet with generating the excitement of the beginnings of the game that we get watching one team, like on here. They covered the last few circles well but then there is less players to have to focus on. Have there been any other event games to have to deal with this? (I know nowt about esport coverage)

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Bollard

I liked what I watched. It's interesting seeing this game evolve as an eSport, it hit pretty big numbers yesterday already (the stream was already over 100k by the time I tuned in - apparently it had 5m viewers in China on a separate service?!)

The balancing of the points will take time to shake out, and it's yet to be seen whether people can actually be consistently good at the game or if it's just too random, but I had fun seeing those spectator tools in action. Just seeing how players spread out during a game is actually really useful information for planning my future chicken dinner attempts...

By the way, I think today's stream starts in 5 minutes (4:20pm CEST because hurrdurr), if you are interested in watching Duos. FPP Duos are tomorrow and Squads are on Saturday, if I understood correctly.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess it's good that this game appeals to all types of people, but man i don't understand why people would take it serious enough for any kind of actual competition. I watch GB play it because it's fun to watch how crazy shit goes down half the time, not because i want to see any sort of serious playthrough.

fledeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fledeye

This is the first "e-sport" I've ever watch. Did some mother/son bonding over it with my eldest.

I had lots of questions, but the main one was "do Americans even know what Pansy and Simms are saying?"

Simms has a northern accent and I thought our cousins across the pond struggled with British accents (see Trainspotting having to be subtitled), and Pansy had so many British references. Do Americans know what a "Marmite xxx" is or why she kept going on about "fields of wheat"?

I was pretty confused as it was, but I imagine had I been an American, I'd have been even more confused.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bryson_shaw: I got the sense that while a good chunk of the field is ESPORTS READY there is some of the field that is just popular personalities that are somewhat good

Pixel_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The observer is trash, almost unwatchable. Like "hey this guy is getting shot at, now let's not watch that and watch this guy camping in a shack"

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I watched yesterday's (solos) but missed today's (duos): the observers were atrocious and the commentary was so unlistenable that I watched a majority of it on mute.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only watched a few minutes on Wednesday and I didn't know that going back to the starting island was a legitimate strategy. Guy died in the end but only because he was a bit slow

fenster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By fenster

I watched yesterday's (solos) but missed today's (duos): the observers were atrocious and the commentary was so unlistenable that I watched a majority of it on mute.

For what it's worth, the observers were actually quite a lot better today. The commentary was more or less the same, although I haven't taken any issue with it.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@fenster said:
    @ajamafalous said:

For what it's worth, the observers were actually quite a lot better today. The commentary was more or less the same, although I haven't taken any issue with it.

Glad to hear they got the observing sorted out, at least

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What a joke.
    What a joke.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By pweidman

Watched the last couple hrs or so. It was pretty intense, and I thought it was casted competently too. A streamer I watch play w/Sacriel named Break, and his team, got fifth place overall in foursomes. Player Unknown was right there too to hug each member of the winning team. That dude is gonna be able to buy his own irl island. He does seem like a sincere and great guy though. Quite the f-ing phenomenon this game is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.