Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

A good PS3 RPG for christmas

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Nasos100

What would be your suggestions for a good PS3 RPG? Any proposal is welcome, but state why you liked this game. Fallout 3, Oblivion and Dragon Age: Origins are excluded, cause i owe them for PC.

Sorry if theres a similar post but i checked and i dont think there is on for PS3 RPGS

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By xyzygy

Eternal Sonata is probably the best one the PS3 has. Followed by Valkyria Chronicles, but VC is a SRPG, if you're into that. 

Unless you want Demon's Souls, but that game is definitely not for everyone.

Aljosa15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Aljosa15

You could import Final Fantasy XIII if you're feeling adventurous, it's really good. 

If not, get Valkyria Chronicles or Disgaea 3.

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nasos100

I already have Eternal Sonata and VC seems  one of my best options. By the way what do you mean SRPG?

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Nasos100
    @Aljosa15: Ill think again about VC but disgaea 3 is not a game for me.
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Vorbis

Theres a VC Quicklook on the site, should give you the general idea but its highly recommended and was the sleeper hit last year.

MerlijnVH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By MerlijnVH
    @Nasos100 said:
    " I already have Eternal Sonata and VC seems  one of my best options. By the way what do you mean SRPG? "
    SRPG stands for "Strategy Role Playing Game" meaning Valkyria Chronicles puts a lot of emphasis on strategic gameplay. Controlling many characters over a large battlefield, giving them commands turn based.

I was going to suggest Eternal Sonata to you as well, but seeing you already have that one, I'm not sure! Sacred is a half-decent RPG as well, though not as good or in the same branch as Eternal Sonata.
    Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nasos100
    @MerlijnVH: im not a picker when it comes to RPG styles actually. I'd play from Fo3 to dragon Age all the way to FF
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xyzygy

Yeah I forgot of FFXIII. If you can read and understand Japanese very well do that, but it'll cost a little to import. If not, the NA version is coming in March which you'll probably like more because you'll actually be able to understand it. And that's pretty important considering it's story-heavy, haha. 

In VC, you have a certian amount of characters on a battle field and they use guns and stuff. There are different classes for each warrior, like one that has rockets, one that has machine guns, etc. Each unit's turn only lasts a certain amount of walking distance so you have to place them strategically. 

If you want an opinion of the game from an RPG lover, personally I don't much care for it because I don't like the restrictions on it. It's not the game itself, just the SRPG genre. I also don't really like Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea or anything like that. I pretty much like all RPGs except those kinds. But if you do like those types of games, I hear it's great. Other than that the system has some pretty slim pickings for RPGs. Like MerlijnVH said above, there is Sacred 2, which is kinda like Diablo. I had the game for my PS3 and it was pretty decent except I found it fairly boring once you beat the game. There is no real incentive to play after your first playthrough and the online was a little wonky.

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nasos100

Nah, ill wait till March for FF XIII

MerlijnVH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MerlijnVH
    @Nasos100: Glad to hear it! I suggested Sacred as its sort of a Diablo'esque hack & slash game. There's quite a few classes with a large open world. One of the few PS3 games of that kind, along with Dark Kingdom which is older and far more watered down, emphasizing more on simple hack & slashing with a linear story. If you thought Fallout 3 was great, then Borderlands might be worth checking out as well. While its a bit more action packed and takes itself a lot less serious as an RPG, it has some pretty neat gameplay elements.
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Demon's souls

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CL60

Demon's Souls.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Berserker976

I'd also recommend Valkyria Chronicles, I think it's tragic that it was generally overlooked by gamers, it really is a masterpiece.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Akeldama
    @addictedtopinescent said:
    " Demon's souls "
    @CL60 said:
    " Demon's Souls. "
    webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By webby
    @Akeldama said:
    " @addictedtopinescent said:
    " Demon's souls "
    @CL60 said:
    " Demon's Souls. "
    "
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nasar7

Valkyria Chronicles is awesome, I just got it and am playing through it. You can find it at gamestop for $20 NEW.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#18  Edited By Yummylee

With the games you've listed, Demon's Souls looks like its all that remains really.
    Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By Reuben

Demon's Souls, you won't regret it.

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By fugie7

well if you like any of the disgaea games  then you should try disgaea 3 for the playstation 3. other then that i agree you should try demon's souls

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fbomb
    @xyzygy said:
    " Eternal Sonata is probably the best one the PS3 has. Followed by Valkyria Chronicles, but VC is a SRPG, if you're into that.  Unless you want Demon's Souls, but that game is definitely not for everyone. "
    It's for everyone... they just don't know it yet. Besides, if you're willing to play through Dragon Age, I'd be willing to bet you'd have no problem with Demon's Souls.
    Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Slippy
    @Webby said:
    " @Akeldama said:
    " @addictedtopinescent said:
    " Demon's souls "
    @CL60 said:
    " Demon's Souls. "
    "
    "
    This. There's even a Christmas event going on.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xyzygy
    @Fbomb said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " Eternal Sonata is probably the best one the PS3 has. Followed by Valkyria Chronicles, but VC is a SRPG, if you're into that.  Unless you want Demon's Souls, but that game is definitely not for everyone. "
    It's for everyone... they just don't know it yet. Besides, if you're willing to play through Dragon Age, I'd be willing to bet you'd have no problem with Demon's Souls. "
    Haha. I agree, but I've lent the game to a few of my RPG-loving friends (it's currently at it's third loan) and the first two hated it. Before they got the game I warned them: "Take your time. Don't rush into fights. Use your shield like mad. Always lock on. The beginning is the hardest part of the game." Yet still they hate it :( I was there for when I lent it out a third time, and I tried to explain to him the same things. But he said  "I'm going to play a game that's actually fun now." and took Demon's Souls out. I told him to hold on to it for a bit in case he wanted to try again, so apparently he's gonna give it some more time.

And these are guys who have played through countless Tales games, Xenogears game, Final Fantasies, some .hack games, Star Ocean games, Wild Arms... they're really into RPGs.  

I'm just like "LOVE THIS GAME, DAMMIT!"
    Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Nasos100

So it comes down to either Demon's Souls or Valkyrie Chronicles.
    I will check the VC quick look here on site to understand what this game is about.

MeetThePyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By MeetThePyro

Demon's Souls is Great

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By penguindust

Although, I am hesitant to call it an RPG, there is Borderlands.  I prefer to describe it as a shooter with strong RPG elements, but it's worth your time if you are looking for something new.  By now, I am certain you've seen enough about the game to know what's what, still I thought I'd remind you that it is sometimes classified as an RPG. 

Also, I haven't played it, but some people seemed to have enjoyed Folklore. 

Don't forget that Star Ocean: The Last Hope International is going to be released February 9, 2010 in North America. 

MeetThePyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By MeetThePyro
    @PenguinDust said:
    " Although, I am hesitant to call it an RPG, there is Borderlands.  I prefer to describe it as a shooter with strong RPG elements, but it's worth your time if you are looking for something new.  By now, I am certain you've seen enough about the game to know what's what, still I thought I'd remind you that it is sometimes classified as an RPG. 

Also, I haven't played it, but some people seemed to have enjoyed Folklore. 

Don't forget that Star Ocean: The Last Hope International is going to be released February 9, 2010 in North America.  "
    Star Ocean? bleh
    FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

Demon's Souls is my absolute #1 choice, followed by Valkyria Chronicles. You can't really go wrong with either. If you have a problem with Demon's Souls' difficulty, don't worry, you are simply not yet a man.

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Nasos100
    @FuzzYLemoN: thats reassuring
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By luce
    @Nasos100 said:
    " @FuzzYLemoN: thats reassuring "
    Don't worry. That game will make you grow a beard and chest hair. Even if you're female.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Driadon
    @Nasos100 said:
    " So it comes down to either Demon's Souls or Valkyrie Chronicles. I will check the VC quick look here on site to understand what this game is about. "
    I'm going to be honest: get both. If all else, get VC now and rent Demon's Souls if you can - as it really isn't for everyone, but if you enjoy it you'll absolutely love it.
    Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Nasos100
    @luce: thank god im not female
    Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Nasos100

i think ill settle with VC. Seems a nice game, really hoped there was a review on the site

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.