Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Backwards Compatibility Patch

• 79 results
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Hexpane
    sandalhatman said:

We know Sony is working at a PS2 emulator, because they had the emulated BC in the 80s out way too quickly for it to be a post launch development. That means that PS2 emulation has a dedicated team of developers that are already paid for, so PS2 emulation doesn't actually cost Sony any money at all. Its being developed by people already on salary. 
     "
    Say what?  How do we "know" and what does that have to do w/ the "80s" again?

ALso it is not "no cost" to sony, that is not how corporations run their business.  Being in house does not mean its "free" all projects have cost associated w/ them.  Windows 7 development isn't "free" for microsoft because they are doing it in house.  It is going to cost MS many millions.
    sandalhatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By sandalhatman

Sorry, maybe I didn't make myself clear enough, although this is just speculation. 

The 80gig came out less than a year after launch, which is pretty quick if you think about it. If you count the time it takes to manufacture and test the new configuration, then Sony would have had hardly any time at all to design the EE emulator that the 80 gig uses. That just makes it extremely more likely that they were already working on a PS2 emulator before launch. The signs just seem to point this way to me because of the speed at which everything in the 80gig was put together, but I'll admit I could be totally off.

And you're right, the emulator will cost Sony money, but not in the outrageous amounts that some people have been throwing around. If salaried employees are developing it, that's what, a couple hundred grand a year for a dedicated team to produce, release, and maintain an Emu? For Sony that's not much compared to the cost of development of a multi-million dollar game.
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Hexpane

Ahh now I see what you're saying, I read "80s" and thought the decade...

Those 80gbs used combo Hardware/software. 

I can't speculate as to sony's internal costs, but developing emu for the PS2 is something no one has been able to do yet w/ much success.  The PS2 emu for the PC is slow, buggy and all over the place.  The pS2 hardware design was a bit complex.

I would love for it to happen.  Remember when everyone thought that PS2 games would be easily emu'd on the PSP?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Hexpane said:
    "THE PS3 is FUTUER PROOF!  1080p games at 60fps!!!!  oh wait, they meant 1 game will be 1080p 60fps, gran turismo 5 and every other game will be 600p 26fps and tons of jaggies"
    And they delivered. It is now up to the developers to choose which games they want to release using those specifications... Also PS3 has a ton more games at native 1080P then the 360 does, so if that's what you were hinting at, then maybe you need to get your facts straight.

Vitefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Vitefish

A patch would be nice, except if you are like me, who bought one of those super-cool MGS4 bundles which has the backwards compatibility.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Hexpane
    LiquidPrince said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "THE PS3 is FUTUER PROOF!  1080p games at 60fps!!!!  oh wait, they meant 1 game will be 1080p 60fps, gran turismo 5 and every other game will be 600p 26fps and tons of jaggies"
    And they delivered. It is now up to the developers to choose which games they want to release using those specifications... Also PS3 has a ton more games at native 1080P then the 360 does, so if that's what you were hinting at, then maybe you need to get your facts straight.

"
    The delivered what exactly?  name 10 games running FULL 1080p 60fps 
    SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#57  Edited By SSbabel
    After the PS2 is discontinued and there are third parties still willing to design games for the PS2 engine they will release a patch its all about the Benjamin's baby.
    SumoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By SumoX

Apparently there IS a working PS2 emulator out on the PS3.

http://threespeech.com/blog/2008/12/exciting-news-on-singstar-backwards-compatbility/

Granted nobody wants to play Singstar, this proves that they are capable of doing it. But as others have said, there's no economic benefit to doing so. I could forsee a day where PS2 games are sold via PSN to cover the costs of developing an emulator (and generally coding an emulator to one game is easier since the issue of compatability is basically gone). Perhaps they could even sell, for a significantly smaller fee, just the emulator for people who have the discs, but I'm being really hopeful there.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I would rather pay for the emulation software itself rather than re-buying games I already have, having them on the HDD taking up space with the physical copy sitting on the shelf. Since the 40GB model can already detect PS2 software (try it yourself if you don't believe me), so the software is perfectly viable.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Hexpane
    SumoX said:
    "Apparently there IS a working PS2 emulator out on the PS3.

http://threespeech.com/blog/2008/12/exciting-news-on-singstar-backwards-compatbility/

Granted nobody wants to play Singstar, this proves that they are capable of doing it. But as others have said, there's no economic benefit to doing so. I could forsee a day where PS2 games are sold via PSN to cover the costs of developing an emulator (and generally coding an emulator to one game is easier since the issue of compatability is basically gone). Perhaps they could even sell, for a significantly smaller fee, just the emulator for people who have the discs, but I'm being really hopeful there."
    No, that is not a BC patch.  That is the ability to play SONGs from Singstar, not to emulate the game.   Read the details
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyhoo, Singstar is just FMV of the music videos with menus and lyrics. I don't think it really needs the full PS2 hardware as other games does.

wwedx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By wwedx
    roushimsx said:
    "AaronBelfast said:
    "The 80gb version got patched for BC, so it's possible for the 40gb, who knows."
    The 80gigger wasn't patched, it had it from the get-go. They emulated the PS2 CPU (Emotion Engine), but it still had the PS2 GPU (Graphics Synthesizer) chip in there. In the 40gigger and later models, they removed the GPU and have yet to replace it with a software solution. Removing the chips saved them on the manufacturing cost per unit (lessening the amount of money they lost on each console sold).

20s and 60g had both chips along with the software PS1 emulation carried over and improved from the PStwo, which is better than the hardware backwards compatibility on the fat PS2 if for no other reason than it supported motherfucking Tomba. Word."
    what he said for software emulation u need both hardware and software
    psmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#63  Edited By psmgamer

If it happens it won't be perfect since it will be software emulation

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By coakroach

HA!
    I had an Xbox!
    No PS2 games for me!

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Hexpane
    coakroach said:
    "HA!
    I had an Xbox!
    No PS2 games for me!"
    Then you missed out on about 30 of the greatest games of all time.  I had both XBOX1 and PS2 so I'm covered.
    Stanford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Stanford

I REALLY want that to happen

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#67  Edited By Valkyr

Someone is trying to sell me the first US 60gb model, does anyone know if it can play ps2 and ps1 games with the upscaling and smoothing options? or they are 80gb features only?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#68  Edited By Snail
    tekmojo said:
    "60gigger wins."
    Aye. I win therefore.
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#69  Edited By chililili
    Valkyr said:
    "Someone is trying to sell me the first US 60gb model, does anyone know if it can play ps2 and ps1 games with the upscaling and smoothing options? or they are 80gb features only?"
    Yes it can, it plays them better thant he 80gb
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#70  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

its not gonna happen people, they all ready have near complete software emulation of ps2 titles on ps3 systems they have to have certain hardware structures in the system for this to work though and it wont happen because.

1.sony sux at software.
    2. sony will have to put even more money into R%D to figure it out
    3.sony doesn't like making its consumers happy.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Hexpane
    Valkyr said:
    "Someone is trying to sell me the first US 60gb model, does anyone know if it can play ps2 and ps1 games with the upscaling and smoothing options? or they are 80gb features only?"
    The smooting and upscaling are bunk anyway.

The upscaling is the exact same, even WORSE than the upscaling in many HDTVs.  The "Smoothing" is horrible, it is NOT FSAA, it just "blurs" the overall image instead of FSAA sharp lines.  Only really average or bad looking games benefit w/ those options on.

The great looking PS2 games like God of War, RE4 or Gran Turismo etc.. all look far better 480p native.  Turning on 480p native mode in the game disables all upscaling from the PS3 anyway.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#72  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Hexpane said:
    "Valkyr said:

The upscaling is the exact same, even WORSE than the upscaling in many HDTVs.  The "Smoothing" is horrible, it is NOT FSAA, it just "blurs" the overall image instead of FSAA sharp lines.  Only really average or bad looking games benefit w/ those options on.

The great looking PS2 games like God of War, RE4 or Gran Turismo etc.. all look far better 480p native.  Turning on 480p native mode in the game disables all upscaling from the PS3 anyway."

I turned everything on including progressive scan, and it looked quite good actually.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By regularassmilk

I just wanna play MGS2 and MGS3 again. oh and Alien Hominid.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#74  Edited By AuthenticM

Of course the PS3 can be patched to play PS2 games. If ePSXe can run on a modest machine, the engineers at Sony can very well make the monster that is the PS3 run PS2 games.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#75  Edited By chililili
    AuthenticM said:
    "Of course the PS3 can be patched to play PS2 games. If ePSXe can run on a modest machine, the engineers at Sony can very well make the monster that is the PS3 run PS2 games."
    Dude that's a PS1 emulator, all ps3s run ps1 games (mine's a 40 gb no backwards and it plays playstation 1 games) running ps2 is a whole different matter and beast. In fact even with all its cell processing power it is possible that the ps3 cannot emulate all ps2 games through software (it might need help from hardware). Playstation emulators run well ona  modest machine now, 12 year-ish after the console launched. The ps2 is still I believe too complicated to be emulated.

Remember that consoles are not PCs they are a mixture of hardware and software. The ps2 had a very tricky hardware design structure and thats why Sony just crank out an emulator right away. It may be able to do so, but who knows?
    matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#76  Edited By matthew

Or you could have just bought a 60gb version!

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#77  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "its not gonna happen people, they all ready have near complete software emulation of ps2 titles on ps3 systems they have to have certain hardware structures in the system for this to work though and it wont happen because.

1.sony sux at software.
    2. sony will have to put even more money into R%D to figure it out
    3.sony doesn't like making its consumers happy."
    I don't mean to sound like a jackass, but your aligned to Microsoft so I have no idea why your posting anything on the PS3 forums. Stay on the 360 forums dude. 
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Hexpane
    LiquidPrince said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "Valkyr said:

The great looking PS2 games like God of War, RE4 or Gran Turismo etc.. all look far better 480p native.  Turning on 480p native mode in the game disables all upscaling from the PS3 anyway."

I turned everything on including progressive scan, and it looked quite good actually.

"
    Running a PS2 game native in 480p in game mode DISABLES upscaling... of course it looked good because PS2 games look best IF they have 480p native in the game menu
    rivalbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By rivalbro

Sony always brings features later on, so it will show up definitely.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.