Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Happy Birthday, PLAYSTATION®3.

Avatar image for disabilityfishy
    DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By DisAbiLityFisHy

Well folks, it's been exactly two years since the first PLAYSTATION®3 console hit stores in North America. From the overwhelming but understocked launch, to the ridiculously hefty price tags, the PS3 has grown a lot from what it was once. The PS3 is probably the number one console surrounded by controversy, Showered and under fire by countless negative media, the PS3 had to endure endless claims of "No Games" and of course the biased retailers (looking at you, GameStop). As soon as the PS3 was announced, skepticism spread like wild fire, questioning if Sony still had what it takes to win the console war. Since then the PS3 has far distanced itself from Giant Enemy Crabs and embarrassing claims and promises (4D Gaming, anyone?).
    However, the "No Games" regard is still being thrown around by fanboys that refuse to accept that the PS3 has some truly outstanding titles. The negativity towards the PS3 is really puzzling, it surprises ReTarDedFisHy that people want the PS3 to fail. He's just going to leave it at that, there's not enough room on the whole Internets.

The PLAYSTATION®3 - now 2 years old.
    And let's not forget the ever infamous and controversial Killzone 2005 trailer. Quickly labeled "fake" and complete BS, the video game industry quickly dismissed the trailer. Guerilla Games, being foolish enough to produce a target render of such quality screwed themselves over. Doing so, they forced themselves to make the best looking console game ever. Hey, no complaints here.

And of course there's Home. Announced at GDC 2007, Home blew away the crowd and was quickly accepted as an XBL killer. Since then, the hype for Home has really sunk, and to a new low. No one expects Home to be that big of a deal anymore, and the delays haven't helped at all. Home has the potential to really be a success, but given the delays, one has to question if Home will really be that online community we hope it to be.

In all of the PS3's years, it has only been growing. From huge hardcore titles like Resistance 2 and Metal Gear Solid 4, to casual providers like LittleBigPlanet and SingStar, the PS3 is finally making a real name for itself this year in 2008. It's only time until the average consumer moves onto "HD", it's apparent that the PS3 is an item of envy. No PS3 user can say that one of his/her friends hasn't said "Niiiice" when they first saw it.

When 2009 comes, the PS3 is only going to get bigger. Those elusive titles that were announced years ago, the ones you thought you'd never get to play are finally going to arrive and add themselves to the PS3's library of exclusives.

ReTarDedFisHy will just leave it at this. Hell, he was just planning on saying "HAPPY FCKIN' BIRTHDAY PS3!!"
    Game on, Gamers.
    DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By DisAbiLityFisHy

Well folks, it's been exactly two years since the first PLAYSTATION®3 console hit stores in North America. From the overwhelming but understocked launch, to the ridiculously hefty price tags, the PS3 has grown a lot from what it was once. The PS3 is probably the number one console surrounded by controversy, Showered and under fire by countless negative media, the PS3 had to endure endless claims of "No Games" and of course the biased retailers (looking at you, GameStop). As soon as the PS3 was announced, skepticism spread like wild fire, questioning if Sony still had what it takes to win the console war. Since then the PS3 has far distanced itself from Giant Enemy Crabs and embarrassing claims and promises (4D Gaming, anyone?).
    However, the "No Games" regard is still being thrown around by fanboys that refuse to accept that the PS3 has some truly outstanding titles. The negativity towards the PS3 is really puzzling, it surprises ReTarDedFisHy that people want the PS3 to fail. He's just going to leave it at that, there's not enough room on the whole Internets.

And let's not forget the ever infamous and controversial Killzone 2005 trailer. Quickly labeled "fake" and complete BS, the video game industry quickly dismissed the trailer. Guerilla Games, being foolish enough to produce a target render of such quality screwed themselves over. Doing so, they forced themselves to make the best looking console game ever. Hey, no complaints here.

And of course there's Home. Announced at GDC 2007, Home blew away the crowd and was quickly accepted as an XBL killer. Since then, the hype for Home has really sunk, and to a new low. No one expects Home to be that big of a deal anymore, and the delays haven't helped at all. Home has the potential to really be a success, but given the delays, one has to question if Home will really be that online community we hope it to be.

In all of the PS3's years, it has only been growing. From huge hardcore titles like Resistance 2 and Metal Gear Solid 4, to casual providers like LittleBigPlanet and SingStar, the PS3 is finally making a real name for itself this year in 2008. It's only time until the average consumer moves onto "HD", it's apparent that the PS3 is an item of envy. No PS3 user can say that one of his/her friends hasn't said "Niiiice" when they first saw it.

When 2009 comes, the PS3 is only going to get bigger. Those elusive titles that were announced years ago, the ones you thought you'd never get to play are finally going to arrive and add themselves to the PS3's library of exclusives.

ReTarDedFisHy will just leave it at this. Hell, he was just planning on saying "HAPPY FCKIN' BIRTHDAY PS3!!"
    Game on, Gamers.
    super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By super_machine

Amazing!  Two years ago, I couldn't imagine that I would ever own one. I was such a hater in the beginning. But, as time wore on, and prices dropped I got one. Man was I wrong before, I love the system. My wii however remains a dust collector. This gen has been pretty crazy so far.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

Happy Birthday my electronic buddy!

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By TheGamerGeek

Best blog I've read this month. I really love the holy hell out of my PS3 and I still think it's the best console this gen.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187

It's sad that I get excited to read your posts and blogs just so I can see you refer to yourself in the third person.  teeheehee

Teh_Eel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Teh_Eel

Happy birthday my shiny black box's, and to another good year.

YT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By YT

Killzone 2 and Tekken 6 next year! More of E3 2005's games can finally be crossed off.

hendersonman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By hendersonman

Wow two years and finally I have a reason to play it. Thank you Valkyria Chronicles, thank you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Yeah man, PS3 is getting there, going to need to start taking calcium pills and multi vitamins to keep ticking strong.
    Good blog man!

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Snail
    super_machine said:
    "Amazing!  Two years ago, I couldn't imagine that I would ever own one. I was such a hater in the beginning. But, as time wore on, and prices dropped I got one. Man was I wrong before, I love the system. My wii however remains a dust collector. This gen has been pretty crazy so far."
    Totally, the PS3 started off real bad but has been filling the gap between the 360, and I still got one right at the beginning. I have always had faith in it, dunno why... And I still love my Wii! =D
    DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DisAbiLityFisHy
    jakob187 said:
    "It's sad that I get excited to read your posts and blogs just so I can see you refer to yourself in the third person.  teeheehee"
    You made ReTarDedFisHy lol :}

@All you guys:
    Thanks for the comments, and yeah the PS3 is totally gonna get there. At long last we can say the PS3 is going to kickass. Sure, 2007 was alright with Heavenly Sword and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune but the 360 dominated with Halo 3 and BioShock. 2008 wasn't the total blowout Sony claimed it would be (currently outselling the 360 this year by only a slight margin), but it definitely showed the world that the PS3 can has (lulz) exceptional exclusives and that it wasn't all talk with the release of MGS4, and now R2 and LBP among other great games. 2009? We'll see what happens. With such games like Killzone 2, Heavy Rain, FFXIII Versus, Gran Turismo 5, inFAMOUS (maybe?), Quantum Theory (another maybe?), MAG (and another maybe? will this work?), and possibly God of War III, 2009 will undoubtedly be a great year for the PS3.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By shadows_kill

happy b'day Mr. ps3 :P

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Claude

Soon PS3, you will be mine and happy we will be.

Tomzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Tomzombie

Happy birth day  PS3 Woot RE5 in march

thebobster10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By thebobster10

That was a great article :)

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By brukaoru

Great post! Happy Birthday PlayStation 3!

The_Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By The_Icon

Happpy Birthday!

DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DisAbiLityFisHy

To mark this special occasion, ReTarDedFisHy took out his PS3 box and re-read the manual. Okay not really :{, but he tried to :D
    Anyway, last year this day he was most likely playing Cock of Doody 4. Now that's a real multiplayer game, he still plays it today. Lots of fun.
    So yeah, he spent most  of today playing CoD4 like old times, currently on the 5th prestige, never really planned to go all the way.
    If only this FisH had the money to buy World at War...

On another note, anyone going to wish the Wii a happy birthday? :}
    ReTarDedFisHy thinks its the 19th? Or so.
    In any case, happy early birthdays Wii, you've grown into every little kid's dream as a present. And a cow. A huge... money making... but slim and slender cow...

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LiquidPrince
    ReTarDedFisHy said:
    "To mark this special occasion, ReTarDedFisHy took out his PS3 box and re-read the manual. Okay not really :{, but he tried to :D
    Anyway, last year this day he was most likely playing Cock of Doody 4. Now that's a real multiplayer game, he still plays it today. Lots of fun.
    So yeah, he spent most  of today playing CoD4 like old times, currently on the 5th prestige, never really planned to go all the way.
    If only this FisH had the money to buy World at War...

On another note, anyone going to wish the Wii a happy birthday? :}
    ReTarDedFisHy thinks its the 19th? Or so.
    In any case, happy early birthdays Wii, you've grown into every little kid's dream as a present. And a cow. A huge... money making... but slim and slender cow..."
    Nope. I'd prefer to think that the Wii was never born.

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gameboi

Happy Birthday, inanimate object of desire. You've brought me much joy.

KnightsofRound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By KnightsofRound

Apparently the PLAYSTATION®3 has been officially renamed to PlayStation®3.  But I kind of liked the extreme emphasis on PLAYSTATION®3 oh well, glad the PS3 toughed it out, still have to get one one of these days, I must be ready for FFXIII :)

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I am sure it was PS3 's worst  Birthday because  Sony and its Console are in a tremendously unstable position right now .

brydello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By brydello

Happy Birthday PS3!

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By Cube
    MrMiyagi said:
    "Happy Birthday PS3!"
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Demilich

Haven't you heard? It's not PLAYSTATION®3 anymore. It's PlayStation®3 now.

DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DisAbiLityFisHy

Mmm, Yes, ReTarDedFisHy clearly missed a memo here.
    From now on the PLAYSTATION®3 will be referred to as the PlayStation®3 in his posts. What it was supposed to be in the first place, until someone had the bright idea to make the PS3's official marketing name all mega-like. :)

Roger_Klotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Roger_Klotz

This will be the best year for the PS3.

dtran1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dtran1212
    Pitta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Pitta

I currently own 2 Xbox 360's, and would buy a 3rd before buying a PS3.

MS has the games and the online network, period. The NXE blows all the competition out of the water, and this is just version 1.0. .

It will only get better from here for ALL systems, but the state that Sony is in, and the way Xbox is really surging forward, BS3 will forever stay in the 3rd spot this gen...

(BTW, it helps to get exclusives people care about... GT5 and God of War 3 are a bit late to the party...)

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Gameboi

And I've currently sent back 4 Xbox 360s to the repair center, while my PS3 actually works.  Better is a matter of perspective, I'd say.

Pitta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pitta

Ive had a couple DVD drives go out, but they were all repaired under warrenty or replaced by the store.

It's true, it is a matter of perspective. I'll take the occasional hardware inconvinience for games and a service that are far better than the competition personally.

I can buy almoast 2 more 360's for the price of a PS3, and use em as media and Netflix extenders in the house... Regardless of your alligence, you just can't argue against the functionality for the price.

(Please disregard any spelling errors, I suck at it, and I'm @ work) :-p

DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DisAbiLityFisHy

Yeah. Functionality for the price, the perfect example being the PS3. You can do so much sh*t with the PS3 it's ridiculous, especially for those brave enough to install custom firmware or have a PSP because of PSP-PS3 capabilities. Not to mention an upgradeable Blu-ray player (unlike standalone Blu-ray players), multimedia capabilites and a free online service that is already almost up to par with Live, especially since Home is just around the corner. And "better games" is a matter of preference, it's not like we're all going to like the same games, right?

As a side note, with the claims in sales and such...
    Since when did sales concern a gamer?

code305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By code305

they grow up so fast

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS3 is really getting there like you said, 1 more year and it's going to be the best console out there.

JamesM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JamesM

The PS3 is cool, but Home is not. At least, not what I've seen of it. Perhaps they'll be continually throwing new content in there to keep people interested, but I don't see them doing that for free.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36  Edited By jakob187

While I am not a huge fan of the console, I will still wish it a Happy Birthday...

...and the Wii as well.

To be honest, all three consoles have been meaningful and worthy additions to the gaming industry, as they have shown three very different strategies that have proven successful in their own ways.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.