Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Help with Media Sharing

CountRockula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CountRockula

Has anyone here gotten it to work?  I had it working soon after I first got my PS3 and loved it, but it stopped working about a month ago.  Now it's like my PC can't even see the PS3.  I don't know if this is the place to come to for technical help or not, but I've looked around on the internet and I can't seem to find any advice for getting it to work again.  If any of you guys have had this problem, I'd really appreciate any advice you could give me.

CountRockula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CountRockula

Thanks!

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

What OS are you running? Vista OR XP? vista all you need should be there with XP you'll have to download WMP 11.

In vista click start/control panel/network and sharing center. in the sharing and discovery area click media sharing at the bottom click change sharing settings tick share my media to:
    and you should be able to figure it out from there.

CountRockula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CountRockula

Yeah, that's what I did originally and it worked fine.  Then one day I turned on my pc and it couldn't see my ps3 for whatever reason.  I have been able to do media sharing since then.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    CountRockula said:
    "Yeah, that's what I did originally and it worked fine.  Then one day I turned on my pc and it couldn't see my ps3 for whatever reason.  I have been able to do media sharing since then."
    hmmm ports may be blocked by antivirus or firewall, you might want to check those *personally uses no firewall including windows* though i had the opiset problem as you my ps3 has never not been able to see my laptop and office pc but my 360 will consistantly never be able to see them.
    All so in those same settings click settings and click allow devices automatically and see if that helps.
    CountRockula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CountRockula

Cool, I'll try that.  Thanks

rivalbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By rivalbro

Is there any use of doing this if

1. My PC is connected with the HDTV so I can watch the movies in the correct aspect ratio
    2. My external Hard disk is connected with my PS3 so I can watch Divx movies, play music, and browse through photos from it.

Is there any other advantage? In my room my HDTV, desktop PC, and sound system are setup. And I know that I won't be moving my PS3 from that spot because I like to play it on the HDTV. (Young siblings are happy with their PS2 and Xbox)

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By chililili

Download PS3 media server for your corresponding OS (google it), and have fun!

Noccee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Noccee

I had the same problem as you. One day the sharing just wouldn't work. I tried several programs with no luck at all.
    But the fix for me was only to reinstall WMP11, and the media sharing have been working fine after that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.